N18 Slave Ogryns starting roster

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
So I've finally got round to building some if the big boys, or rather, I've built one and now I'm waiting for some Ork Nob arms to arrive from ebay so I can build some more.

In the meantime I've been thinking about how to build this gang, as the combination of very expensive models, and the whole augmetic weapon "buy at creation or miss out" creates a lot of tough decisions.

Having read a few posts on the site I've come up with this:

8 bodies in a starting ogryn gang, no grenades or anything flashy, and all the lobo-slaves are unarmed.

My rationale is i can probably survive the first couple of games just through sheer wait of bodies, and assuming I don't run into Corpse Grinders I should be able to punch most stuff to death - priority purchases are weapons for the Lobos (I'm thinking dual brute cleavers as the + to hit strikes me as more useful in the long run than a strength bonus afforded by axes), and then grenades for the leader/champs (incendiary, because blaze is horrible).

Questions for people with Ogryn experience - is maxing bodies viable, or should I drop a slave to kit everyone out at the start? Choices are dual cleavers for the lobos, or upgrading both the champions to dual arc cutters?

Or should I be going for grenades straight away?

Tacobeasty

Aug 1, 2019
Saint Clair Shores
I have an ogryn gang running now.
-I feel Lascutters are amazing, versatile is so nice on an all melee gang.
-I have a champ with 1 arc welder and he has never not killed what he charged, you don't need 2 welders.
-I feel like depending on how your group house rules the las cutter's ammo (1 las cutter> 1 welder> 2 fists). that just because versatile is great and my opponents are well armored.
-Grenades are a must but you can get those later, you only have 1 shot at augmetics.

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Interesting on the las cutter, id read it to be an ammo roll per attack, meaning its likely to run out after your first charge, is that the wrong way to interpret the rules?

hurpington

Sep 6, 2020
Interesting on the las cutter, id read it to be an ammo roll per attack, meaning its likely to run out after your first charge, is that the wrong way to interpret the rules?
Yes just like with shooting if an attack requires an ammo roll then every attack requires one,its why if I include lascutters or any weapon with an ammo die I always have a backup,especially with melee