Slaver Mob

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
I know there's the Rebel Grots but recently I've had an idea of using a Slaver as a Nob, Spannerz as Spannerz, Yoofs as drivers (what self respecting ork would want to be part of a grot mob) and having a Grots as the core of the mob.

Anyone done this before?
Any special rules/house rules you used?

I'm going to be the GM for two friends (newbs to tabeltop) who will be running fairly standard mobs. I figure I can play my Grot mob occasionaly throughout the campaign to change things up a little.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I assume this will mean ignoring some of the usual composition rules, but it doesn't look over-powered, so seems fine if your opponents are happy with it.

What do you plan to do with the drivers when they graduate to full-fledged Boyz? Keep them or will you fire and re-hire (to keep Yoofs only)?

Reactions: Dr.Fishy....NOOOOoo

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Hmm... you could look at it as the Slaver is training the yoofs to be drivers, so when they become Boyz their “sell fee” is for training, paid by the new boss who hires them on. Grots are the expendables used to train up the yoofs and get them experience. So a mob rule would be: yoofs who become boys have to be replaced. So, oddly, the real “strength” in your mob would be a core of experienced expendable grots.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If you're going to fire the Yoofs when they reach Boy status, I'd suggest house ruling free replacements (rather than having to buy some). That seems fair enough - and, more importantly, avoids cases where you can't afford a necessary driver.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Can spanners drive? (It’s been so long since Iv played gomo)
maybe the engines in the vehicles are snot powered (I.e. mini Snotling pump wagons) and the ‘spanner’ is just there to ‘encourage’ them and organise the grots to bash stuff back together when it drops off!?

Reactions: Aulenback

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
What if the Yoofs (being free replacements) have a -2 driving penalty for everything (shut up and drive, you useless git! Figger it out!)? Then, when 1/2 way to Yoof that penalty goes to -1, and then vanished when they become a Boy?
If they wreck and stuff, who cares? Their crew is only Grots! When they have to drive real orks, they’ll be over all the stupid mistakes.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
That’s kinda the point, isn’t it? If you’re going to make Grots the drivers, might as well make a Grot Rebellion. At least the Yoofs will improve. Grots will always be Grots. But it’s just a suggestion. It’s not my mob.

MCEllis

Jan 6, 2017
No reason Spannerz can't also be drivers. But it seems like the main reason to make this Mob is to have a lot of grots on normal Ork vehicles rather than the revolution's cuttas and luggas.

Reactions: Aulenback

Zeebogie

Ganger
Nov 13, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
It would be massively overpowered in terms of shooting, Rebel Grot mobs cover this by limiting long range guns to the Head Honcho and Bannawaver, Ork mobs don't so you could effectively make a starting mob (assuming you charge 12 for the Slaver/Nob) of:
Trukk w big shoota 35
Slaver w shoota & Grabba Stik 16
Spanner (gunner) 6
Yoof Driver 3
11 grots with shootas 40
Grots have the same ballistic skill as Orks so provided they manage to keep the other mob at a distance the only weakness is pinning and since they'll all be on a trukk that has an 18" deathzone around it that is covered pretty easily

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
That's a danger, though it depends on keeping the opponent at bay. And I'd assume two vehicles will be needed, so wouldn't be that many grots.

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
It would be massively overpowered in terms of shooting, Rebel Grot mobs cover this by limiting long range guns to the Head Honcho and Bannawaver, Ork mobs don't so you could effectively make a starting mob (assuming you charge 12 for the Slaver/Nob) of:
Trukk w big shoota 35
Spanner (gunner) 6
Yoof Driver 3
11 grots with shootas 40
Grots have the same ballistic skill as Orks so provided they manage to keep the other mob at a distance the only weakness is pinning and since they'll all be on a trukk that has an 18" deathzone around it that is covered pretty easily
Good point. Didn't think of that aspect.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
You could try other requirements, like minimum 2 or 3 vehicles (as it’s a training mob). That would also spread the Grots around a bit between vehicles. Then limit the shootas to vehicle mounted weapons only, or maybe one shoota per truck, and the rest of the Grots need pistols or CC weapons. That wouldn’t give you a ton more Grots because of the cost of the vehicles and drivers.

Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
Liking the suggestions so far, thanks to all.

More or less what Im aiming for is a bit of a narrative campaign where a local Slaver (me) is causing a few issues on the outskirts of mektown so the two other mobs (my newbie friends) have to destroy the Slavers mob.
Basically itd be a campaign with a bit of the usual scenarios where the Slaver mob plays occasionaly culminating in a Grot Town show down.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If it's only you using them, you don't really have to worry about the potential to abuse the rules, because you can simply not abuse them by min-maxing.

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
Trukk w big shoota 35
Spanner (gunner) 6
Yoof Driver 3
11 grots with shootas 40
Good point. Dakka, dakka. But that is only S3 dakka. One boarding plank grabs you and it's gobbos getting tossed off the trukk in a most amusing manner. Or one skorcha hit to the crew location...get your BBQ sauce. I'm not sure it would be game breaking, but it could lead to some lop-sided situations. You also are going to take a hit in the income phase. Gobbos only generate a d3 (I think) and you'll have lots of mouths to feed.

How about making them even more backwards and odd? You could take out the Spannaz , add vehicle breakdown rules like the Diggaz have and add some Squigs! If there is a grot to squig limit of some sort, that would cut down on the dakka options. And add opportunities for random, squigly, comedy! Maybe let the Yoof stay around as Boyz and upon getting ...40xp? What's a Slava's starting XP? They become Slavaz, too and get whips and bolos and whatnot?