So ... I (helped) make a thing.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
It's not really wargaming, but I helped a buddy of mine with a music video a few months ago. It's finally been released and I can at last talk about it:

My buddy is the Producer and previously did the video for Radioheads' "Burn The Witch". She originally asked me in to do a couple of days work on this video as the site carpenter, doing all the stuff behind camera like platforms, staging, set alterations, that sort of thing.

That turned into a couple of weeks work when they saw the tank I was building for the last competetion, and I ended up making a lot of the props for the video itself. Buildings, Weapons, The Guillotine, and of course ...
The Tank!

It was immense fun. A real group effort and a pleasure to work with such a talented bunch of people.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Nope ... it's about 3 feet long and 16" tall. The "stage" is about 8' wide, the actual opening (between curtains) is about 6'.

That thing was the most enjoyable, and most frustrating thing to build. I don't know if you can tell from the video, but the tank doesn't actually move. All the scenery (in front and behind it) moves left to right. The tank sits off the stage about 2" and I had to get all the wheels to go round driven by the rear sprocket so it looks like it was moving. I tried all sorts of things from a conveyor belt for the track to drive belts. But I just couldn't get the middle bottom wheel to turn. Too much slack on the belt meant it sagged and wouldn't drive the middle wheel. 4 days it took me to get that 1 wheel to turn!

I'm most proud of the smoke coming out the rear exhausts. That took some figuring, but it worked SOOO well.

I did have a (literal) blast working with the Pyrotecnics guy though. :)

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I was offered it after the shoot, but it was just too large, so the guy from Capitol took it back to LA with him for their office. He also took the Lion that my buddy Louie (he helped me build the Orc/Dwarve sets) spent a week making and wanted to keep. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 10658

The late Kurt Vonnegut said something along the lines of (and I am paraphrasing at best here) history resembles a particularly violent slapstick comedy. This video makes that same point with puppetry rather than poetry. Damn fine work by everyone involved (I like the lion and the tank too, and I can see why the record company guy bagged them.)

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
The idea (I believe) is to convey the futility of conflict, and how we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of history. The last scene of the lone caveman represents being bombed back to the Stone Age, and a Nuclear Winter.

There were about 22 of us working on it at one stage or another. (Not including the extras in the audience who were made up of friends) and 7 of them work, or used to work, behind the bar of my local. Everything was hand made. The tent it takes place in, the stage, All the puppets/marionettes, as well as their clothes. An epic 2 weeks. I learnt a lot.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
The Tank!
I waited and waited to see the ork tank there!!!! :D I dared to hope it! But regardless this was really awesome! huge thanks for sharing!

Idea of repeating history and violent nature of mankind is really well ... presented?... in this video. Funny thing is that one of my friend from the past actually recently contacted me about making some scenery for his movie. I said that I can do some, but probably not as much as he would need, but after seeing this I am tempted to go for it "full monty" :D However the fate of the movie is still open as he struggles to get any sponsors etc (don't really actually know about the status) just that he was looking for some miniature buildings and landscape with road.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
It's surprisingly easy to do, especially if you're a Yakker. I've done a few of these now and i'm always surprised that what I would consider to be a "shoddy" piece of work is praised as exactly what the client wants. I suppose it's different when you've made it, know what it's made out of, and how it's all held together.

The guillotine was made from a set of blinds from Ikea, and the Viking longship was made from the left over slats. The Anglo Saxon huts were strips of hardboard and Teddy Bear fur (no teddy bears were harmed during the making of this video) and the Viking Axes were made from Blue Foam and Bar-B-Que skewers.

The Tee Pee's were just strips of wood offcuts I found laying about that I carved into a sort of round pole shape with a stanley knife and tied together before covering them in Muslin Cloth. The Fort and Emperors Podium were all made with scraps of plywood and a glue gun, and the Tank was made up of more plywood offcuts, and all the large pieces of my bitz box. The tank wheels are driven by my Mikita Drill, and the track is actually the front tyre off the Art Directors Mountain Bike!

So my advice is give it a go. It's easier than it looks.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
Wildly off topic but I am super curious about the subject especially since English isn't my native langue and I usually want to imrpove my skills :D (brain storming here so sorry for ramble :D)
@sump dweller funny thing is that even when I try to read it and think how to express the sentence I can't see or understand that the way I phrased is wrong. This might be related to the fact that I can say that in Finnish pretty much directly translated (which I do understand that not all things can be translated from language to another).

So does past have some alter meaning? basicly what I tried to tell that person that I haven't met in about ten years (or something like that) contacted me as he heard about my work done in Necromunda miniatures etc. How can I phase it? Old friend contacted me recently? Former friend (that doesn't sound right), ex-friend ell no :D Person I used to know contacted me? My past friend contacted me (does this mean she/he is dead?)

on the subject can person say for example: "In my past life I used to play alot of computer games". If I would say that because about 10 - 15 years ago I used to play a lot computer games (not so much lately, still playing but from like 6 hours a day to something like few hours a week. :D or does that actually refer some previous life or incarnation of life. From my point of view the sentence said is legit, but am I wrong ?:D

---------------

Or is the phrase "from the past", the friend came from the past in the sentece. is that it?

So should i say One of my friend from my past contacted me... .... hmm.

Reactions: TakUnderhand
D

Deleted member 10658

Sorry, I was just being silly and making a poor joke. I know English isn't your first language, and frankly, you do a fine job (infinitely better than I can do in any other language, that is for sure.)

I would have just said 'an old friend' or 'a friend that I haven't seen in years' - former or ex friend would mean that you are no longer friends and no longer have any feelings of friendship. Past friend is not something you would say in English.

I don't think that there is anything technically wrong with saying 'a friend from the past.' It just seemed funny to me, as if he is from a previous period in history (in the same way that the T-100 in Terminator 2 is John Connor's 'friend from the future') I don't know if it makes sense in Finnish, maybe I should just stop trying to be funny.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
no don't say sorry I honestly was curious about the subject and absolutely no hard feelings :D I can totally understand the idea that something just ... sounds funny or wrong, even though you cannot explain it.Very common for us fins since the grammar in our language can be extremely hard for foreigners to learn. Sometimes is simple hard to explain why something is funny but it simply is.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I also would say an old friend. That covers most things. An old friend can be someone you have not seen for a long time, or someone who has been a friend for a long time, but not seen in a long while.

A friend you have have know for a long time and see regularly, is usually referred to as a good friend.

Reactions: Loriel

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
All these definitions of friend types just screamed the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is searching for his Soulmate at Moe's Tavern. I tried to get fancy and make it auto begin at 1m22s, but that seems to be beyond me...

TakUnderhand

Gang Hero
Dec 28, 2014
Devon, UK
Great work @Azzabat! love the tank, it works really well.

Dare I ask how the preparations for the end of the month are coming on?? Ribs well enough to get stuck into it yet? Would love to see a pic of those tentacles coming out of the windows, if you get chance...
~~

On the off topic - perhaps the historical context of the video chimes with the "from the past" line? (I'm probably over thinking things per usual).

Reactions: Blood Donor

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Only 10 more sleeps to go!

The ribs are healing well, but sadly we had to put the tentacles on hold for this year. The pub is undergoing some major works and I've not had the space or the time available to design and make a suitable secure base for them.

I have to balance my creative enthusiasm, with my buddy's need to run his business. Something about "Health and Safety" ... and conversations that begin with "Well you see Officer ..."

Also although I "technically" retired last March, I seem to be doing more and more work (like the video) than ever. Though I must admit, I'm having a whale of a time. :D:D:D

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I wanted to go down the T34 / KV1 route, but Chris the Art Director had definite ideas about something solid like a mobile factory with smoke billowing out. I was pleased with the result, and so was he, so that was good.

Once Samhain is over I plan to get back to my LandOrk tank and finish that off too.