N18 So this is how a river of sludge would look like IRL...

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I imagine that toxicity as bad as table salt is enough to cause a great deal of problems for any local marine life and any life dependent to it.
I thought the same thing - they dyed the river green using something with "the same toxicity as table salt". They used Uranine, AKA Fluorescein - the very same dye that other environmentalists had banned from use dying rivers green for St Patrick's Day because it was harmful to the river wildlife. Slow clap for Extinction Rebellion :rolleyes:

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
People dyed rivers green for St Patricks day?? This is a thing??

Doesn’t it just... flow away really quickly? How much dye do they shove in there!??

Gah. People.

2 comments
Reactions: TopsyKretts

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The Cuyahoga River in Ohio actually caught on fire thanks to pollution...
94E6D4AA-4AF7-4E0C-9B92-103E443ABD91.jpeg

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
This is the sort of thing that always springs to mind for me. The 1970s and the 1980s, dumping waste into out air, dirt, and water was a definite thing.

I see people this week using the "the ozone hole is closing" news to try to decry any action on global climate change science, completely ignoring or oblivious to the fact that the reason the ozone hole is closing is because there were not "ozone hole denialists" convincing governments to do nothing. Instead, governments of the day [including our old conservative government here in Canada under Mulroney's Progressive Conservative Party] actually took direct and immediate action based on what the scientists were saying, and as a result, we have concrete results. Acid Rain is being used likewise, despite the obvious photographic evidence from before government action and after.

The 1970s and 1980s, industrial North America and Europe was so objectively horrifying, there were science fiction miniatures combat games that satirized that industrial dystopia, released in 1995.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A few more images for inspiration and historical interest.

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Sadly smog is making an unwelcome return in London and a few other cities due the middle-class fashion trend of having wood burning stoves.

All the smokeless fuel initiatives in the bin because... gotta keep up with the Jones’s! :rolleyes: