N18 Some Rackets are Crazy Good

So picture this: you're Van Saar / Corpse Grinder Cult / or any gang with Undersuits. You get Peddlers of Forbidden Lore and then land the Resurrection Game. You now have access to:

Manipulation of the Priority Phase (Coming from Middle-Earth SBG: that's really good)
Ignore one death per game
4d6*10 credits per game from these two rackets alone
A doctor's office that nobody will use
And access to a 3+ Invulnerable Save or a 2+ Invulnerable Save if you're Corpse Grinder Cult

I don't know what the intention is, but RAW that's really good. The only thing that can get around that are weapons that ignore save rolls entirely.

Has anyone found any other good combos?

Devilmixer

Ganger
May 19, 2016
Albertslund, Danmark
ure this: you're Van Saar / Corpse Grinder Cult / or any gang with Undersuits. You get Peddlers of Forbidden Lore and then land the Resurrection Game. You now have access to:
as I read it is is only the 4+ save that cant be affected, so if you add armourd under suit and a shield your armour is still can be modified back to 4+,

I'd like to believe you, but the territory offers a 4+ save that cannot be modified. These other two items merely add a +1 to that save itself. It isn't a separate save or anything. You'd have to invent rules to explain that the bonus is separate and that the save can be partially penetrated.

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
I'd like to believe you, but the territory offers a 4+ save that cannot be modified. These other two items merely add a +1 to that save itself. It isn't a separate save or anything. You'd have to invent rules to explain that the bonus is separate and that the save can be partially penetrated.
You say it right there the save can't be modified... Adding to it is modifying it. It is 50/50 period can't get better can't get worse.

JayTee

Juve
Jun 14, 2015
Strictly it says cannot be modified by a weapon's armour piercing value so RAW it can stack with armour bonuses. However, that's the same wording as field amour and I don't think anyone is arguing Van Saar get a 3+ invulnerable save if they have a Displacer Field.

So RAI would be that like a Displacer Field this save is not modified by armoured undersuits and the like.

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Well that does change it a bit. Necromunda sadly is not a RAW game it really is "designed" only to play with people you'd also just sit around and shoot the breeze with (drink tea).

I know people will talk of the good ol days but they were not great at the time. Necromunda has always required an arbiter to intervene when things got crazy. I always favored events that impacted specific things to get the munchkins to move on.

In this instance some sort of crack down that turned this off randomly so that the fighter could not rely on the increased save Everytime...

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
They haven't fixed that crazy territory from dominion yet (16 months ago), so wouldn't hold my breath for rackets. They could consider all previous campaigns as "end of life" and only focus on the current or new ones.

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
The game has rules for Armor and Field Armor. The Field Armor rules explain how to use one or the other Save. They are not combined. Do they have to call the Peddler's fortune based 4+ Save, "Field Armor?" It works just like Field Armor (an unmodified save).

Oct 14, 2018
Australia
3 games into a campaign we found rackets in general to be completely ridiculous. 1 player was left in the dust while the rest of us skyrocketed and couldn’t keep up with the amount of gear, credits and extra fighters we were getting. It quickly became bloated so I’ve designed a new campaign for us to follow.
It’s basically a treasure hunters in the underhive theme, every gang is destitute and has sent their last decent gang members to come back with treasure. It locks down a lot of the gear and trading post, there’s no solid income and treasure chests become paramount to gangs advancing.
We’re yet to playtest but once we have I’ll put it up on here.

Lachi

Ganger
May 6, 2013
Cologne, Germany
After our first game of a L&M campaing my gang rating was 1425. After only one game. If you manage to controll two or three or even more linked rackets you can easily roll 10-15D6*10 credits per game.
We decided (we restarted with a mixture of Dominion and L&M campaign) to limit the total number of Territories/Racktes per player to five plus 1 for every full 10 Reputation. So far it works well. We are also considering halving the income from Rackets (after rolling the dice). We also created a map-based system that only alows players to controll a racket if they already controll a terriroty linked to it (there are 1-3 territories linked to each racked and each each territors is at least linked to two rackets). You lose control over a racket if you lose control over the respective territory and similar rules. Is good fun. And at least once per Cycle/Campaigne Week a non-player Palanite Enforcer Squad challenges the players for one of their Rackets or Territories.
All together this helped substantially to prevent a skyrocketing income.

Reactions: 2_Minutes_Turkish

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
If you manage to controll two or three or even more linked rackets you can easily roll 10-15D6*10 credits per game
Sorry, We're playing L&M campaign now, so I've been familiarising my self (or trying to) with the rackets. But what 3 rackets can you get that allow you to roll 10 to 15 dice?

Lachi

Ganger
May 6, 2013
Cologne, Germany
Maybe I wetn over board a bit...
But, for instance, if you controll Cold Trade, Spire Patronage and Outhive Smuggling Routes you already receive 6D6*10.
If you also controll Ghast prosecting and Caravan route it is 13 with five Rackets.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Maybe I wetn over board a bit...
But, for instance, if you controll Cold Trade, Spire Patronage and Outhive Smuggling Routes you already receive 6D6*10.
If you also controll Ghast prosecting and Caravan route it is 13 with five Rackets.
That's fair. It's not far off, I was just making sure I'd looked at them right (I think the most I could find would be 7d6 with 3 rackets), but then thats assuming no-one else gets any of them.

We have tackled it in our campaign by stating you can only play 2 games per 'campaign week' in which you draw income from rackets. Scenarios, uphive raiments, other stuff still give income, but the idea being the great earning rackets will at least then still be limited to stop such a drastic wealth increase.

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
I've always been a fan of a leadership test to keep the gang from going on a bender and spending creds.

The more money you have the more likely they are too feel like they need a bigger portion to be fair.

If you are bringing in whatever threshold you set for your group (I'm thinking 70) then it is a basic LD test (on the leader) for every point you fail it by deduct 10 creds from the haul before it gets to the stash.

From there you can have some modifiers for members, every additional 20 creds coming in, reputation or just events. Skimming should be part of a gang leaders life and this check could represent that and as the gang makes more money it is more likely to have members pocket the creds instead of sharing so much.

EarthDragon

Ganger
Apr 1, 2013
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Where does it say that the 4+ save is “an armor save”. Don’t have it in front of me. I know the editors for Necromunda have been terrible and shows that GW has halfassed this entire game, riding on all us nastalgia idiots to buy and modify the game for our own purposes, but at the same time we as individuals got to do a little better of not interpreting everything to our favor. In no world was that meant as a stackable Invuln Save.
This is also where a good Arbitrator comes in. The Rackets weren’t meant to be equal, and gives certain hotspots, whether it be highly linked Rackets like Off-World Smuggling, or Super Bonus Rackets like The Resurrection Game. There is also a question as to when you get some linked bonuses as it doesn’t exactly specify. One could argue the Invuln Save was intended to only be granted when BOTH links were achieved. Others will note that it doesn’t actually say you need a link, but is just “arbitrarily” written in that section.
The Arbitrator should be making some of these calls to smooth out the game, and those calls, if they want their group to stay together, should err’ on the side of balance, not “rules lawyer” mental gymnastics. That only serves to benefit the power gamers who argue for something if it benefits them, and against when it doesn’t.

there’s also nothing stopping anyone from saying “I was wrong” or “because we’re not sure......” to allow for better balance on the campaign. Van Saar are probably the last gang that needs broken help from Rackets or Territories that only favors them. So even if the player has been told that it’s working for them that way, changing that determination is acceptable, if they are the type to throw a tantrum about that, they are definitively on the toxic side and your group is likely better without their presence, as hard as it is to find players.

Reactions: TopsyKretts