Some SWA kill teams (and maybe other stuff)

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Yo.

I am Chaos Moomin, and I am new here. I wanted to share some pics of stuff I've been working on these past few months. But first, by way of introduction, let me give you my hobby history:

I first got into the hobby in '98 with Warhammer Fantasy and 40k. Then I started getting into Mordheim and, to a leser extent, Necromunda. As I've always been more of a painter than a player, I really enjoyed the switch to building teams of half a dozen minis as opposed to fifty or whatever in 40k, and being able to spend more time painting and converting them. Eventually I became interested in 28mm Inquisitor and built a few models for it (but never played) before sort of drifting away from the hobby about ten or eleven years ago.

...cut to 2014 when I was pulled back in after picking up the 4th edition of Space Hulk and spending an age painting the contents (I don't have any photos of these but will take some if anyone is interested). Then I had another break from the hobby until Shadow War came along. I've put together three kill teams now, though I've not gotten around to a game yet, but hope to get started on a campaign with my brother in the next month or so, having finally finished up a table's worth of terrain recently (just in time for er... Kill Team? Oh well). But like I say, I'm more into building/painting.

Anyway, enough of this waffle, and onto some pictures.

First up, my Sons of Malice with black metal cultists. The marines are converted from Primaris marines with a mixture of chaos and loyalist standard marine and terminator bits. The cultists are Dark Eldar Wyches:

85NDdT.jpg
85NPa7.jpg
85NM4C.jpg
85Nuiz.jpg
85NYN5.jpg
85NNLb.jpg

Next my Slaaneshi traitor guard, the elite of the Cohort of the Enraptured - The Warsirens. I wanted to go for a look that emphasised the Slaaneshi appreciation for finery and perfection, rather than skimpy outfits and BDSM gear (but you can't see what they're wearing under their uniforms ;)). They are mostly Victoria Miniatures bits with Eldar Harlequin and Dark Elf Witch Elf heads. Oh and the last one is a counts as commissar btw:

85NGdM.jpg
85Ncb3.jpg
85NxPq.jpg
85Nw4D.jpg
85Nbt0.jpg
85N5jA.jpg
85NUlF.jpg

And lastly, I have a genestealer cult (Church of the Starbeast) with a colour scheme sort of based on Kane's space suit from Alien:

85P0K1.jpg
85PjtH.jpg
85PIPc.jpg
85PAzk.jpg
85Nhaa.jpg
85PWbx.jpg
85PgjK.jpg

I don't anticipate I'll be updating this all that often (I work slow), and I don't know how much in the way of WIP stuff will be in here, but it'll be nice to have somewhere to post anything else I create, if nothing else (as well as any reinforcements for these guys).

Thanks for taking a look!

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
Well, that is how to make an entrance...I think a bit of my brain may have just exploded.

Your models are stunning. The monochromatic chaos cultists are my favourite of the lot, but everything there looks amazing.

Cult of the Starbeast hmm? Not only based on the suit from the film, but the original title. ;)

I don't anticipate I'll be updating this all that often (I work slow), and I don't know how much in the way of WIP stuff will be in here, but it'll be nice to have somewhere to post anything else I create, if nothing else (as well as any reinforcements for these guys).
You can always join in the community by posting comments and advice (like how to be such an amazing painter!) in other people's threads. Oh, and I for one would love to see your painted Space Hulk set.

Welcome to the tribe.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Cult of the Starbeast hmm? Not only based on the suit from the film, but the original title. ;)
The Alien theme was actually kind of a last minute lightbulb moment. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier - it's my favourite film! They were going to be green.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome chaps. I'll see about getting some pics of my Space Hulk stuff in the next week or so.

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
These are absolutely stunning! Welcome and thanks for sharing. i love this sort of inspiration!
I'm a fast yet sloppy painter, always gobsmacked by the detail people like yourself can apply, really impressed.
Even if you have some WIP or technique info you can ever share, please do! I find it spurs me along having people see and comment on my work, rather than my wife just sneering at them.....

SirFrog

Gang Champion
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
Your Sons of Malice are just disgustingly good. I pray my stuff will eventually look half as sleek. Your sweet Slaanesh cult is also just beautiful, maybe I'll just buy a few bits from Victoria... No, no, no more plastic crack for a while.
Excellent stuff through-and-through.

Reactions: Aulenback

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Hi everyone, I'm glad you all like my stuff! I've been having a browse through some of the other threads on here and there's some really cool stuff happening. I'm glad to be a part of it.

As promised, I took some pictures of my Space Hulk minis. Prepare for another wall of images.

First, a few of the genestealers. It turns out I'm not crazy about painting genestealers, which is a shame as there's 30+ of the buggers in the box. I painted them first, as it'd been about 7 years at that point since I'd painted a miniature, so I wanted to start with these to get my eye in again. I was surprised how quickly I got back into the rhythm of things. I'm not sure I'd paint them the same way now but I do really like how the tongues turned out:

8abeJD.jpg
8abS80.jpg
8abneq.jpg
8abvyA.jpg
8abMRM.jpg
8abY7Q.jpg
8aboFa.jpg

...but as far as I'm concerned Space Hulk is all about the terminators.

There was a cover to one of the Blood Quest books (by Kev Walker I think) where Leonatos' armour was sort of a subdued pinkish red, that also had a kind of semi-metallic, gritty look to it. It made the armour look heavy... and solid in a way the brighter, smoother red I was used to seeing Blood Angels painted didn't:

Bloodquest_Eye_of_Terror.jpg

Anyway, that was the inspiration for my Blood Angels. The result isn't quite the same as the artwork but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Excuse the picture quality of the first two, I couldn't seem to get them in focus unless I set my phone much further back than the others:

8abcec.jpg
8abXyK.jpg
8abwTZ.jpg
8abyUm.jpg
8abGZi.jpg
8abamo.jpg
8abhu9.jpg
8aw8A2.jpg
8awAQv.jpg
8awWnC.jpg
8awiy5.jpg
8aw0Tz.jpg
8awIOT.jpg
8awZUb.jpg
8awrZ7.jpg
8abPox.jpg
8abUQ1.jpg
8abF8H.jpg
8abx7P.jpg
8abNmk.jpg

I experimented with transparent red over silver, which didn't work out, and eventually just went ahead and mixed metallics into my red. Alas I cannot recreate this colour scheme as a) it uses Citadel Mechrite Red (awesome colour), which is out of production (though I have a tiny bit left), and b) I managed to lose the step-by-step notes I took while painting these guys :oops:. I make notes digitally now.

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Amazing work. Really love your blood angels.
Totally understand about the genestealers. Love the models hate to paint them. Especially picking out the little vents in the arms and legs. I've got only a few completely painted on my space hulk set. It's always been the "I'm not worthy to paint these yet" kit for me.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Stunning paint work and great attention to detail. I see so many good painters here and I know my best doesn't stand up... gotta practice. That said, I can do a mean conversion ;)
Really keen to see more of you work!