Some SWA kill teams (and maybe other stuff)

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
If you'd like to try, start with light colours (everything except the metals and dark leather on these started as minor variations on a bone colour), keep the shading relatively light, and then build up any brighter colours (the yellow and the top of his head) with very light glazes. Make sure to take your highlights right up to white on anything you're going to be glazing over too, as the glaze will flatten them down.

The detail tends to blur a little at arms length on the table top though, which is definitely something I'm gonna bear in mind for future projects.

Reactions: Ben_S

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Yaktribe, I'm back, and I have yet another half-finished project to show you.

You see my terrain is very bare up top, cover-wise. When I built it (ages ago), the idea was to not stick any barricades on my rooftops to allow for maximum connectivity via walkways (which themselves have cover), and then see how much it felt like it needed the extra cover after a few games. Well, it's after a few games, and there needs to be more cover. Here are a couple of buildings to illustrate the issue:

AfkDhC.jpg
Afkfzz.jpg
AfkXK7.jpg
Afkyq3.jpg

So I have built a whole bunch of loose barricades:

AfkGhD.jpg
AfkhCq.jpg
Af62SA.jpg
Af68wM.jpg
Af6iKa.jpg
Af6jfe.jpg

They're made from various pieces of plasticard with nail art sequin things as rivets. I've got 10 of the corner pieces and 3 of the straight. The bottom layer is ferrous rubber sheet...

Weird; it won't let me make a post with more than 10 images in it anymore. Stand by.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Continued:

...I've set magnets into several different positions on the rooftops so they can be attached wherever we don't put down walkways:

AfkP65.jpg
AfkxjF.jpg
Afkbfr.jpg

Behold as the two meet:

AfkFwT.jpg
Afk5Y0.jpg

The hold is not quite as strong as I was hoping for but it'll certainly stop them from tipping off.

The buildings are from the Mantic Industrial Quadrant set, if anyone's wondering. I'll get around to taking pics of all of it after I've got the barricades painted, and once I find a surface to photograph them on that is a) big enough and b) is well lit, as the lamp I usually use to photograph my minis really isn't working well for stuff this large.

And finally I have also knocked together some simple line of sight blocking tanks. Soup cans, spare 40mm bases and more rivets:

Af6W1Q.jpg

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Okay, changing gears again, I've been playing around with that Iron Hand with the flamer and the long arm. I've repositioned the arm slightly further forward at the shoulder,cut away the bionic arm bits, and repositioned the hand so that it's the right length (or near enough). Of course this means that now the arm is too short to support the flamer.

So I have two different solutions and I don't know which one I like.

Solution A - Rotate the wrist for a new pose with the arm resting on top of the barrel. This is a perfect fit all round but I'm not sure the pose really feels natural:

Ac0gic.jpg
Ac0IP1.jpg
Ac0rdK.jpg

Solution B - The old pose, which actually now fits better at the hand end. However, in order to get it there I've had to move the whole shoulder slightly away from the torso and also rotate it slightly inward at the front, which leaves a pretty visible gap at the rear of the shoulder:

Ac0tMZ.jpg
Ac01aP.jpg

I could fill the gap a bit but I think you'd still be able to tell it was out of position, since you can see the flat part where the arm is supposed to join peeping out from under the shoulder pad, though it will probably be less noticeable once painted, since the armour will be black.

So... I dunno.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I reckon B, on the assumption that you generally see minis from the front, so odd bits round the back aren't such an issue. (The problem, of course, is that you may be looking at their backs in game, but probably not that closely.)

Reactions: Chaos Moomin

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Thanks for all the feedback, chaps.

Maybe an option C? :p
Try using the upturned hand above the barrel, turning that kinda useless protrusion into a handle above the barrel?
I actually tried this but it looks a bit weird, like it's too small for the pose his hand is in.

option D: like B, but remove
the shoulder, glue it in place then reattach the arm? slather with glue and hide the mess with the shoulder pad.
I think that would only help if I brought the shoulder part of the arm way below the shoulder pad, where it looks like it should be covered. I may be able reposition the pad a bit to help hide the gap though, although it is already rotated toward the back, so much further and you'd be able to see the inside of the arm peeping out.

Option Q? Bottle in hand and twist is a bit so it looks like a "mag change"
I hadn't thought of that. But having a play around with it, it just produces the same problem as option B. I can get it in a position where the fingers are just resting on it (as if he's reaching for the bottle but hasn't got a grip on it yet), without as big a gap at the shoulder but it doesn't really look natural.

I'm leaning towards option B and then strategically filing down the side of the torso a touch to reduce the gap.

Reactions: Draconic and Ben_S

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Man, more than a month since I updated this. I'm gonna try and stick to once a fortnight at least.

I got around to painting those barricades and stuff I made a while back:

WIBb91.jpg

The red came out a bit dark but not quite as dark as it looks in some of these pics. The beige looks a bit dirtier than my existing terrain as well but considering I was working with entirely different paints, and homemade wash I basically mixed up different for each coat, they're not too far off.

WIBDHQ.jpg
WIBNca.jpg
WIBuEM.jpg
WIBfge.jpg
WIBF3k.jpg
WIBUDx.jpg

I ended up sticking some ladders on the soup cans, as it occurred to me they'd make great supports to extend multiple walkways between distant buildings:

WIBXWH.jpg

And as a bonus, here they are in action as my Warsirens make short work of the enemy bunker entrance. It was all for naught though, as they were cut down as they tried to escape:

WIBxGK.jpg
WIBwvc.jpg

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
About the Space Marine - have you tried simply rotating the flamer inward toward the torso at the point where the right hand is holding it?

If you are holding a gun across your chest like that, surely the body of the gun would not be in line with your forearm (your left arm would have to be sticking out to hold the barrel in that case.) You would be holding the handle almost as if the sides were the front and back, and the back and front were the sides.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
I did try this but the flamer starts to look obviously at an angle to the trigger guard (which is attached to the hand).

I also considered removing the hand, filing down the inside of the wrist a little, and repositioning the hand to be angled further inward. I don't remember why I decided against it now. I think maybe it just seemed too easy to mess up? I'll re-investigate the possibility when I get back to the project.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Looking really good. I can see some 'tide' marks from the wash, but the beauty of this kind of thing is that it all looks fine anyway.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Yeah, that's my feeling too; throw enough grime and weathering on there and you end up with something perfectly decent looking.

I'm way too slow to paint terrain with much more care than that anyway!