Some SWA kill teams (and maybe other stuff)

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Yeah, overall I think it's pretty good value if you get one of the bigger sets, and they're as versatile as you need to be if you're prepared to disregard the assembly instructions every once in a while (not that they actually provide you with any!). It's handy how all of the panels are 3" squares - the maximum height you can jump down to the level below without injury.

On the other hand be prepared to do some filing on the square holes where the connecting pegs fit into.

Reactions: cainex1

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
I'm back with a few more terrain pics:

First up, some ruins made with a bunch of the ruined Mantic wall sections:

WNaMLM.jpg
WNaYaQ.jpg

Next is a tower, with plenty of access for walkways, though I put magnets all around the ledges for optional cover. We've been using it as a lift in game. Any fighter that starts their turn in contact with one of the doors may use their movement phase to take the lift and emerge at any other door. Originally it was just going to be a ladder in the interior but I thought the lift would be neater than trying to keep track of how far up a ladder a fighter was on the inside of a building:

WNauka.jpg
WNaDle.jpg

I built my own roof for this building, both to get more mileage out of the building sprues, and so that I could make it easily removable to make the interior accessible. The roof is made from EVPC/Foamex board (which is also what all of the bases are made from), some plastic canvas with tiny round holes (which turned out to be a complete pain in the arse to work with), and Mantic pipe pieces. It sits on some plastic I-beams I glued to the inside:

WNaNbk.jpg
WNafrx.jpg
WNaF4H.jpg

STANDBY FOR PART 2...

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
...PART 2:

Pipes! These are really supposed to connect to the sides of the wall panels but this seemed like a way to get more out of them. The steps up to the control console are just made of plasticard:

WNaHXF.jpg
WNazr3.jpg

Tins! The extra detail is plasticard, odds and ends from the Mantic set and steps made from plastic I-beams. The bridge piece the cultist is standing on in the second pic has magnets to fit a barricade. I didn't think to fit any of the barricades for the pictures because I am a buffoon:

WNaS40.jpg
WNaeND.jpg

My brother scratchbuilt this checkpoint thingy from thick card and various bits. I think the sandbags were made from clay or milliput or something. Painted by me:

WNaviq.jpg
WNaLdA.jpg

And I also took a pic of a couple of my walkways because they were in the same box as these buildings. The flooring is made the same way as the removable roof from before and the sides are plasticard. The railings are these weird bits from the Mantic set that are supposed to go between wall panels on the interior of buildings but actually just completely get in the way, so I used them for this instead. I have seven of these ranging from 6" to 12" long:

WNaUP1.jpg

Anyway, that's all of my buildings. I also have a bunch of smaller scatter pieces that I'll likely take photos of in the near future.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Thanks!

I don't remember if I mentioned in a previous post but I only took the weathering as far as I did because the spray paint I used on the beige buildings had a terrible finish that made the wash bead up in places, so I did way more paint chipping than originally intended in order to cover it over.

Reactions: Gdolkin

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Thanks, Sundown.

I finished my new recruits for my Warsirens, Siren Tahami and Siren Urabi:

iWCjZo.jpg
iWCWci.jpg

With that I can maybe think about getting back to the Iron Hands. They are primed but I need to do some paint tests and maybe have a muck about in Photoshop before a brush goes near them.

I also got some of these a couple of weeks ago, that I may or may not end up sticking on as well.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Well, I tried putting the Zinge Industries strips from the last post on the lower legs of one of my guys but they are way too fiddly to work with - perhaps at all in that location - but definitely after everything else is assembled.

I have, however, been putting together some colour mockups in Photoshop. I like this version best, with a very warm tone to the metals:

ij85tK.jpg

Here is the inverse for comparison; cooler, cleaner metal, with a warmer tone to the black:

ij8xbc.jpg

And, just for shits and giggles, I decided to see what they'd look like in some of the successor chapter colours. The Red Talons and the Sons of Medusa:

ij8GKZ.jpg

ij8aPP.jpg

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Been pretty quiet on the hobby front since I ordered a number of the Vallejo Metal Color paints to experiment with for the Iron Hands but they haven't all arrived yet.

But I did take some pictures of my smaller scatter terrain pieces that I mentioned further up the page.

This lot is largely made from leftover Mantic bits, often used quite differently to how they're supposed to be, with a few random odds and ends stuck on here and there:

itGF0c.jpg
itGPF1.jpg
itGUBK.jpg
itGcoZ.jpg

Some MDF crates I got for virtually nothing. I forget the manufacturer:

itGb2P.jpg

A couple of bits my brother made. The crate is made from the bits of MDF the above crates were punched out of:

itGxei.jpg

And, finally, I cut up some of the fuel canisters from the Mantic barricades to use as objectives in the Scavengers mission:

itGwJm.jpg

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
That scatter terrain is simply superb - if I didn't already have a huge pile of Sector Mechanicus stuff that has been waiting for me to pay attention to it, I would definitely get some of those Mantic kits.

Reactions: Chaos Moomin

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
No, they're EPVC/Foamex. I used 6mm but you'd get away with it being a bit thinner, especially for smaller pieces.

It's a little pricier than MDF but it's way easier to work with. Those bases were just cut out with a Stanley knife, edges roughly bevelled with same knife, and then just smoothed out with sandpaper.

Reactions: dabbk and Draconic

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Alright, boys, my colour scheme is starting to come together. Here is a test on an old marine before and after the armour has been banged up:

ikiKG0.jpg
iki4v3.jpg

Ignore the base, that's just what was on it already. Also ignore the marking on the shoulder pad; I intend to print some decals to use eventually.

I'm happy with it so far but I may need to reign in the chips and scratches a bit - it's very easy to get carried away.

And as dinged up as he is, I'm not sure he's dirty enough, so I have some weathering powders to play with but haven't had time to try them out yet.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Had a go with the weathering powders:

iCAhx1.jpg

The effect is stronger in real life than on camera, though I think it needs to be stronger still in the recesses of the legs and stuff.

Of greater concern is how much I need to dull down the finish of the black to keep a nice, matt finish on the powder. I kind of liked the deeper, colder look the armour had with a more satin finish, and the details stood out better on the table top.

Plenty of time to decide, I suppose, and it'll probably be worth seeing what I do with the bases first anyway.

What does the tribe think?