N18 Spring Up vs. Chem-Synth

infamouspip

Mar 6, 2019
Hullo! I'd much appreciate advice with some rules lawyering.

Which order do Chem-Synth and Spring Up happen in? In other words, can a model Spring Up from pinned 'in time' to use the Chem Synth?

CHEM-SYNTH:
At the start of their activation, a Standing and Active or Standing and Engaged fighter with a chem-synth can choose to make an Intelligence check. If the check is passed, any Gas or Toxin weapons they use until the end of their activation are enhanced and the target’s Toughness is reduced by 1 when resolving those attack

SPRING UP:
If this fighter is Pinned when they are activated, make an Initiative check for them. If the check is passed the fighter can make a Stand Up (Basic) action for free. If the check is failed, the fighter may still stand up, but it costs one action, as usual.

The question of whether 'the start of the activation' happens before or after 'they are activated' gets very philosophical...but considering how much of my time my Escher gang seemed to spend voluntarily pinning themselves, it's makes a practical difference!

(I really think it would have been simpler if they'd just made each of those a Free Action!)

Thanks!

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Squee

Gang Champion
Jan 11, 2019
Whenever several actions occur at the same moment the active player decides the order, in which they resolve. As such you get to decide, what happens first.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Whenever several actions occur at the same moment the active player decides the order, in which they resolve
Do you have a page reference for that? I scanned the N18 rulebook and couldn't find anything to that effect.

The way I see it, you are Pinned where your activation starts so you don't get to Chem-synth, whether or not you then manage to spring up.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Squee

Gang Champion
Jan 11, 2019
Do you have a page reference for that? I scanned the N18 rulebook and couldn't find anything to that effect.

The way I see it, you are Pinned where your activation starts so you don't get to Chem-synth, whether or not you then manage to spring up.
You may have a point there, sir.
I don't have a searchable rulebook, and quite frankly I'm just too lazy to go and look through it page by page.
I'm 100% positive, that I've seen the rule somewhere, however it might be in the books on Kill Team and/or Warcry (I'm also collecting and occasionately trying to play those), so I won't insist it also exists in N18.

However in most if not all other games (with better rules, mind you, since almost anything has better rules, than N18) in cases where several things are resolved at the same moment the active player chooses the order of resolution. That's no proof of the case for N18, but rather the default I'd revert to in order to save time and sanity.

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
Okay rules lawyering here...

While the spring up check can be made simultaneously it "only" makes the stand up action free it doesn't allow the model to take it immediately... Technically you could crawl, stand up, shoot. Why would you care? Overwatch interruptions...

The chem synth had to take place at the start of the activation so once the model takes an action you have moved past the chem synth timing.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

infamouspip

Mar 6, 2019
Cool - thanks folks. FWIW, I agree with the majority - the spring up occurs as an action and therefore is after start of activation.

Reactions: Vonvilkee