Standard Template Constructs (STC) discussion

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
since the 41st millennium is known for using STC (standard template constructs) for, like, everything, i’m not sure if that’s entirely true. unless it was made by Xenos races?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i firmly believe it should be true. i think it would be weird for Van Saar mesh or carapace armor to look exactly like the Goliath or Delaque versions. i could see Orlocks making stuff exactly like the STC...

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
since the 41st millennium is known for using STC (standard template constructs) for, like, everything, i’m not sure if that’s entirely true. unless it was made by Xenos races?
STC schematics are also stupidly rare, hence the lengths the AdMech go to in order to get them.

Also, since armour can be so varied in terms of appearance and construction but still perform the same basic function, and people are probably less bothered about how it looks than if it works, that you'll have a wide variety of armour around the underhive, probably refined over time as people figure out what works well.

That's not to say that STC armour isn't around, it'll just be perhaps not as easy to get as some local snakeskin jacket that can work similarly to a flak jacket.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
If i remember correctly, it's new STC files that the AdMech hunt down with zealous fury. But that's probably second edition fluff. it may well have changed since then. there was some sort of big discussion in an old White Dwarf about them and 40k vehicles. Maybe from when they reworked the vehicles so they had that plastic targeting template?

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
You don't need a STC for low tech stuff, such as basic melee weapons (swords, axes, etc.), stub guns, or basic body armor. And even when a STC is needed, it doesn't mean all the final products will look the exact same (they will all work the same though). Lasguns, for instance, are build from a STC, but a lot of different lasgun patterns exist.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I'm sure I've read a 40k novel where they talked about finding the ancient STC machine for what became the standard issue IG knife.

But people still had knives before they found it and continued to have non-STC ones afterwards - the same can be said for almost any 40k tech I should think.

The munitorium "marks" or "patterns" are probably STC produced, but there will be non-STC analogues all over the place. Some might be better but expensive, some worse but cheap, some better and cheaper but not blessed by the omnissiah so if you're caught with it and don't happen to be an inquisitor you'll probably find yourself exterminated...

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
Aah, the STC confusion.

As far as I've gotten it, it's like this:
Mankind was awesome and made idiot-proof DIY machines that took you from uninhabitable wilderness to full civilisation in easy steps, so you could send any idiot out to colonise the stars. It was a machine that contained easy-to-digest blueprints and instruction for all human tech, from ironworking to Volikte weaponry.
These were called "Standard Template Constructors", and could, beyond spitting out exactly the blueprints you need, also in some stories fabricate advanced stuff just by throwing raw materials into it.
The blueprints a Constructor spits out is called a STC printout, STC blueprint, or a Standard Template Construct (which is also the abbreviation STC).
Then, for one reason or another, we lost most of them, and also the massive, massive libraries of STC printouts.
An STC design, in "modern" 40k, is a design entirely following or vaguely based on ancient STC printout designs.
Many of those found or recovered from destroyed archives must be reconstructed, redesigned and remade, which is why "new" STC designs sometimes appear.
Sometimes, newly recovered STCs are just inventions from some Magos somewhere they try to pass as ancient, essentially to get it through the proofing process quicker.

To this day, mankind still finds caches of STC printouts on rare occasion. Thus, the Guardsmen being awarded planets for a ten-step beginners guide to metallurgy.
No complete, uncorrupted Standard Template Constructor has been found. If it was and it was utilised properly, mankind would quickly return to their old glory.
Provided that the Adeptus Mechanicus doesn't just put it into the safest vault on Mars, refusing to use their new holy artefact.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
It was pretty much Roman Britain becoming Dark Ages Britiain - we forgot how to do pretty much everything "advanced" when the Roman Empire shrank & collapsed. Substitute "Empire collapsed" with "The Horus Heresy happened" and job's a good un. We then spent hundreds of years re-learning things we'd been able to do before.

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I'm sure I've read a 40k novel where they talked about finding the ancient STC machine for what became the standard issue IG knife.

But people still had knives before they found it and continued to have non-STC ones afterwards - the same can be said for almost any 40k tech I should think.

The munitorium "marks" or "patterns" are probably STC produced, but there will be non-STC analogues all over the place. Some might be better but expensive, some worse but cheap, some better and cheaper but not blessed by the omnissiah so if you're caught with it and don't happen to be an inquisitor you'll probably find yourself exterminated...

The stc knife was mentioned in first and only it was adopted by a few marine chapters as it's standard combat knife. The munitorium probably issues it to a number of IG regiment's but the guard is to be big for anything to be standard across all of it.

Reactions: spafe

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Hmmm... the Leman Russ and the Chimera are present in their standard form across (probably) every Imperial Guard regiment. I'd say Lasgun but there are a few different patterns. Maybe the humble Frag Grenade?

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
Almost everything produced by the Adeptus Mechanicus (i.e. all sanctioned tech) is based on STC designs as far as I know. The AdMech sees the STCs as the pinnacle of human achievement, and trying to invent beyond this is the height of hubris.
Naturally, there's variation. Both the standard Cadian-pattern M36 lasgun and the similar, but it and the subtly different Catachan lasgun are probably based on an even older lasgun STC pattern. Flak armour, at least the material itself, is probably an STC. The Chimera chassi is an ancinet STC design (The Leman Russ isn't, IIRC, as it was invented during the crusade which is notably AFTER the Dark Age of Technology).
"Modern" plasma guns are based on an ancient, pre-heresy design originally held by the forge world Ryza. However, according to old fluff, they borked up copying the blueprints over the ages and introduced an error in the cooling system. Thus, modern plasma guns have "Gets Hot", which can be removed by manually tuning each weapon (in the RPGs represented by better quality). This blueprint eventually proliferated to all other forge worlds producing plasma weaponry, so Ryza is the reason why your Space Marines sometimes melt their own faces.

Of course, local gunsmiths can and do make variations on tech, and the less advanced it is the less likely it'll be that the Red Priests will take offence.
Make knives slightly longer than standard? Sure. Slap two toasters together for a four-slice toaster? Whatever. Slap flak armour plates on a tent to make a shrapnel shelter? Sounds good. Scaling up autopistol from 9mm to .45? Probably OK. Change furniture on a lasgun? Who cares. Convert a 12ga shotgun into firing bolt rounds? ...Now that might be heresy.
I'd like to think of the AdMech proper as both the big industry concerns and the standards organisation in one. They make most of the stuff and set the standards, and if you want to legally fiddle with tech, you'll have to have a permit from them.

Not that any self-respecting underhive gunsmith ever even saw one of the red-robed cogheads, and if they did, they'd loot their stuff.

Last edited:

The Duke

of the Grim-Dark and The Lord of Lawful-Evil
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 23, 2015
London
Almost everything produced by the Adeptus Mechanicus (i.e. all sanctioned tech) is based on STC designs as far as I know. The AdMech sees the STCs as the pinnacle of human achievement, and trying to invent beyond this is the height of hubris.
Naturally, there's variation. Both the standard Cadian-pattern M36 lasgun and the similar, but it and the subtly different Catachan lasgun are probably based on an even older lasgun STC pattern. Flak armour, at least the material itself, is probably an STC. The Chimera chassi is an ancinet STC design (The Leman Russ isn't, IIRC, as it was invented during the crusade which is notably AFTER the Dark Age of Technology).
"Modern" plasma guns are based on an ancient, pre-heresy design originally held by the forge world Ryza. However, according to old fluff, they borked up copying the blueprints over the ages and introduced an error in the cooling system. Thus, modern plasma guns have "Gets Hot", which can be removed by manually tuning each weapon (in the RPGs represented by better quality). This blueprint eventually proliferated to all other forge worlds producing plasma weaponry, so Ryza is the reason why your Space Marines sometimes melt their own faces.

Of course, local gunsmiths can and do make variations on tech, and the less advanced it is the less likely it'll be that the Red Priests will take offence.
Make knives slightly longer than standard? Sure. Slap two toasters together for a four-slice toaster? Whatever. Slap flak armour plates on a tent to make a shrapnel shelter? Sounds good. Scaling up autopistol from 9mm to .45? Probably OK. Change furniture on a lasgun? Who cares. Convert a 12ga shotgun into firing bolt rounds? ...Now that might be heresy.
I'd like to think of the AdMech proper as both the big industry concerns and the standards organisation in one. They make most of the stuff and set the standards, and if you want to legally fiddle with tech, you'll have to have a permit from them.

Not that any self-respecting underhive gunsmith ever even saw one of the red-robed cogheads, and if they did, they'd loot their stuff.

hahahahah! - best post ever, explaining and defining the AdMech attitude vs the Underhive attitude - love it!

Reactions: TakUnderhand

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
so then the AdMech must have something to do with (at least) the quality control on Necromunda and the use of STC by the Noble and Hive Houses. Meaning there must be some sort of AdMech presence on planet. Red Priests watching stuff. Hearing rumors of “technological terrors” running around the Underhive. The appearance of OiaM weapons.

Sounds like a good excuse for a Skitarii expedition. The Spyre Hunters become the hunted. i don’t think it would look good for a House to be caught using Xeno Tech.

Stoof

Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Sounds like fun. I imagine the normal AdMech presence is just at a final inspection before being shipped offworld level, but if they spotted an unsanctioned design change in something or slightly better/poorer performance maybe, then they might send a team to investigate. Nice campaign premise.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
(The Leman Russ isn't, IIRC, as it was invented during the crusade which is notably AFTER the Dark Age of Technology).
I thought the Leman Russ was an STC that was discovered during the crusade?

I also recall reading something about it being a modified STC - basically a tractor that had guns and armour slapped on because the Imperium needed a cheap and reliable main battle tank - but I can't verify that.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
@Stoof that’s kind of what i was thinking. The AdMech would be doing final quality inspections before loading the cargo haulers, and overhear rumors relating to the Spyrers gang-hunting safaris, or maybe how so-and-so in Town X keeps making these amazingly high quality weapons.

the quality control priests report this up the chain, and the AdMech in charge sends a small expedition to track down the rumors to see if there’s any truth to them.

Reactions: The Duke and Stoof