N18 Starter/Dominion Goliath Gang

Mark Ancketill

May 10, 2019
I am brand new to Necromunda, but am potentially going to take part in a Dominion campaign shortly.

I have chosen Goliath as my gang of choice due to the "rule of cool"!

I am currently in the process of modeling up and deciding upon a starting gang. As such, not having played a single game of Necromunda yet, but reading up from here and other sites how does the following look?

Leader+combi plasma+power hammer = 230
Champion+gl+stub gun = 170
Champion+combat shotgun+chainsword = 195
Ganger+gl+stub gun = 120
Ganger+stub cannon+smoke grenades = 95

This brings me to a neat 1000.

Modeling wise I only have the basic box set and the forge world weapons set 2.

Questions I have:
1) What about the power axe over the power hammer on the leader? Is cheaper and does a similar job.
2) Are two gl's to much?
3) The champion with combat shotgun and chainsword, is this a good idea? Modeling wise it rocks!
4) Is it worth dropping one lot of grenades to upgrade a stub cannon to a shotgun?

Appreciate any help you could all provide.

Reactions: Paupoi

AnthonyS

Juve
Feb 28, 2018
Epping
I’d definitely go Poweraxe over hammer. I did and wounding on 2’s in combat is much better than D2 - at least in early part of game. Combat shotgun champ is good but you could hold getting chainsword until later on in campaign. My guys didn’t start seeing close combat until they got movement increases

Reactions: almic85

Mark Ancketill

May 10, 2019
Ok, thanks for the advice on the power axe.

Over the past couple of days I received my extra weapons set, and after having fun building stuff, started thinking about a different potential list:

Leader+boltgun+stubgun+axe=215
Champ+renderisor+stims=175
Champ+gl+stub gun=170
Ganger+gl+stub gun=120
Ganger+stub cannon=80
Ganger+stub cannon=80
Ganger+stub gun+smoke=80
Ganger+stub gun+smoke=80

That comes to 1000pts exactly and get me 8 bodies:)

The idea being the leader now has a great gun, added to the two grenade launchers and two stub cannons that should provide decent fire power. Then the renderisor champ and basic gangers can run up front and try and crack skulls and pop smoke!

Is this a better setup for starting a campaign?

AnthonyS

Juve
Feb 28, 2018
Epping
I went with combat shotguns on leader and champion 2 for the sweet template autohits but otherwise your list is identical to mine and it’s working well. Go for movement upgrades at earliest opportunty

Mark Ancketill

May 10, 2019
Do I need to drop one of the weapons off of the leader seeing as though he has three at the moment? I've heard this may be a problem during a campaign.

AnthonyS

Juve
Feb 28, 2018
Epping
I started the campaign with 1 weapon per guy, partly to horde some cash (in case I visit to docs) and to allow for future proofing. But you can sell stuff, and most weapons you have are pretty cheap

Mark Ancketill

May 10, 2019
The campaign is apparently planning to use mostly 3D terrain. As such, does this lend itself to either of the two mentioned better than the other? If so, why?

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
How dense are you planning to go with the terrain? How much scatter terrain will there be? How much line of sight blocking terrain?

The more open the terrain the more it will favour shooting heavy lists and tactics and the lower movement will make it harder to get into cc ranges with the increased playing area created by different levels.

For zone mortalis I would go with your first list where you will be able to get into the ranges to use the combat shotgun and cc weapons, but drop the stub guns and some of the smoke grenades for another cc ganger, even if it's just a juve to support your leader and champ. The second list is also better suited for zone mortalis than sector mechanicus as it also us quite cc orientated.

Depending on how open the terrain will be, you might want to consider some heavier, longer ranged firepower such as a heavy bolter.