N18 Starter Orlock Gang

May 10, 2019
Thinking about an Orlock Gang for a Dominion campaign. How does this look?
Leader, power knife, combat shotgun
Champion, heavy stubber
Champion, plasma gun
4x gangers, autoguns
Ganger, shotgun

That all comes to 980 I think!

My idea is just to use the stuff from the gang box as much as possible, but may convert the plasma gun from bits I have.

Would the plasma gun be better than the harpoon launcher?

Also, would it be better to put a bolt gun on the leader?

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
Combat shotgun is great in zone mortalis. If you play more sector mechanicus, bolter would do you better, as getting a combat shotgun in range can be difficult at times, especially if enemy is shooting you with a bolter as you try it.

Harpoon launcher would probably be better in zone mortalis, but otherwise take the plasma. Also, please note, that opponents can esily get rid of your plasma with "click" gangcard, as you can't reload plasma during a fight.

And telescopic sight is a great way to boost accuracy with bolters and plasmaguns. Defenetly worth it for a starting gang.

Personally I have found heavy stubber to be not very effective. It's devastating when it hits, but because you can't aim (without a suspensors, and they are hard to come by at the start of the campaign) and it doesnt have any postive aim modifiers, you are probably gonna miss a lot, as potential targets will most of the time be in cover as well.

A ganger or two geared for close combat would also be handy. If nothing else, then just clear off all the seriously injured enemies your shooting has caused. Flails are great weapons for gangers, do of their +1 to hit modifier, but if you don't have anything to convert these from, power knives do well too.

May 10, 2019
Thanks for the advice. Having thought about it, how about I change the list to this:

Leader, power knife, bolt gun
Champion, heavy stubber, stub gun
Champion, grenade launcher, auto pistol
3x gangers, autoguns
2x Gangers, shotguns, fighting knives

Better?

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
Yes, it's better. Personally I have found a bolter with a telescopic sight to be more cost effective then heavy stubber. Tho heavy stubber looks much more cooler.

May 10, 2019
Are Orlock juves worth it? Especially in a campaign scenario?

Considering dropping some kit to afford one with dual stub pistols.

May 10, 2019
Ok, think I've got it!

Champion, heavy bolter
Champion, grenade launcher
2x gangers, autoguns
2x Gangers, shotguns
Ganger, flail, auto pistol

Recommended skills for the leader and champs?

Sump Thing

Juve
Dec 5, 2014
With so many 6+ ammo checks, either leader or gl champ needs Mutioneer, and Nerves of Steel for the rest to keep them shooting (and maybe aiming).

Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
A plasma gun is nice if you are facing a lot of Goliaths, but otherwise a boltgun provides the same level of bang for much fewer bucks. Grenade launchers are also good. In both cases you will want to have at least one munitioneer in the gang.

The heavy stubber is not worth its cost. Wait til the cash starts flowing in and buy a heavy bolter (with suspensor) instead. Again, munitioneer is almost mandatory.

Other than munitioneer, as has already been pointed out, nerves of steel is a great skill.

May 10, 2019
Thanks for the advice. I decided to drop the grenade launcher and put a bolt gun on that champion and then get backup weapons for him and the heavy bolter.
What I'm wondering now though is is there something better to do with the pistol/flail guy perhaps?
Also, would a chainsword perhaps be better than a power knife for my leader?

Champion, heavy bolter, stub gun
Champion, bolt gun, stub gun
2x gangers, autoguns
2x Gangers, shotguns
Ganger, flail, auto pistol

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
As some one who played a campaign with the chain sword on my leader I would say keep the knife. He rarely got charged based on wounds and other threats in gang. When he was charged it was by power weapons or flails. Never once was able to force the reroll using Parry wished so much for the extra oomph of a power knife.

Reactions: Mark Ancketill