State of the Underhive 2018

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Fluff is still bad.
Gangers are still second class citizens.
Weapons are still glued to people’s hands.
The release schedule is still going to be slow and charging extra for another rule book just stinks.
It isn’t faithful to the original.
It’s not for me but I’m sure some people are enjoying it and that’s all that matters.

Galtarr

Gang Champion
Mar 1, 2017
Whats wrong with the fluff?
They seem to believe it is faithful to the original. The issue is they take the original to be Confrontation, as this is where the clan houses were originally depicted. And where the clan houses proxy wars comes from.

Whilst they may be right. It seems to have rubbed alot of people up wrong. Majority of whom had Necromunda as the formative version.

Reactions: spafe

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
New Whats wrong with the fluff?
Van Saar having an STC without the Mechanicus sending an entire Explorator Fleet to recover it.

Gangs being private paramilitary armies of the houses as opposed to bands of cut-throats looking for fame and fortune makes them much less evocative IMO.

Gangers not being more experienced Juves, rather crappy merc fighters who aren't really a part of the gang.

And yes, I class Necromunda as the previous version of Necromunda.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I also forgot, the houses now having their own separate roles within the hive e.g. Cawdor waste collectors etc. While initially seeming like a good narrative, it removes the main conflict between the houses; competition over the various weapons contracts. Without the competition, why are the houses in any conflict beyond territorial disputes?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
hmm... would you want to collect the used chemical wastes from Escher? or the irradiated toss-offs from Van Saar? emperor knows what you'll find in a Goliath trash bin.

cronevald

Gang Champion
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I also forgot, the houses now having their own separate roles within the hive e.g. Cawdor waste collectors etc. While initially seeming like a good narrative, it removes the main conflict between the houses; competition over the various weapons contracts. Without the competition, why are the houses in any conflict beyond territorial disputes?
That hasn't really changed though, has it? Near as I can tell they're still competing for various weapon and other manufacturing contracts in addition to their new roles. (On a side note, in one of the earlier Twitch streams they started riffing on what a bad idea it would be to buy Goliath made toasters and housewares. It was rather amusing.)

Reactions: TabulaRasa

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
what doesn't make sense is, if the Houses are all competing for the same contracts and involved in the same industries (specialization aside), AND the gangs are now directly fighting for their houses instead of the way it used to be, then why are Cawdor gangs so poorly equipped? why "reclaimed" weapons instead of fresh ones off the assembly lines?

Reactions: Ardavion and Tiny

cronevald

Gang Champion
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
what doesn't make sense is, if the Houses are all competing for the same contracts and involved in the same industries (specialization aside), AND the gangs are now directly fighting for their houses instead of the way it used to be, then why are Cawdor gangs so poorly equipped? why "reclaimed" weapons instead of fresh ones off the assembly lines?
To be fair, the original Necromunda books don't give that much detail as to what the houses actually produce, just that the noble house above the wall buy goods from the lesser houses and also sell them off world. You've got the Orlock/Delaque rivalry over the Ulanti contract, Goliath industry doing a lot of heavy polluting, and Van Saar tech being highly refined and desirable. Beyond that the details are pretty vague. The new background fleshes this out but more but I don't see any significant conflicts.

Reactions: spafe

Ironside83

Juve
Feb 8, 2018
Australia
What more do you really need than territorial disputes??? That is one of two primary reasons driving conflict throughout human history at just about every level of society.

The other of course being basic cultural driven bigotry and a fear of the difference... which given the distinct flavour of each gang is also there in abundance.

Reactions: Ardavion and Paupoi

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
What more do you really need than territorial disputes??? That is one of two primary reasons driving conflict throughout human history at just about every level of society.

The other of course being basic cultural driven bigotry and a fear of the difference... which given the distinct flavour of each gang is also there in abundance.
You don’t need more. It’s just more compelling that the houses have rivalries and compete for resources. It makes very little sense that Goliath dislike Escher yet rely on them for chems or that Orlocks would go attack Cawdor and then expect them to clean up their waste.

The original game was about territory and that was definitely enough, but then that was about gangs trying to build empires away from their houses, not paramilitary forces fighting on behalf of their house.

Wasteland

Ganger
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
What was my personal N17 experience? Well, the commercial hyped my up like nothing in the last twenty years in the hobby. The soundtrack and the compelling female voice sold me the game all over again in an instant. I also really dig the visual appeal of the logo being a mix of orange, red and rusty iron that can even be found on the bases of the models. Just thinking about this lets me experience the unbearable heat of an Underhive steel mill where Goliath brutes toil and sweat each and every day.
The models in the box? Simply gorgeous. In addition, the starter box included for the first time in GW history my two favourite factions namely the Escher & Goliath. Both epitomize the 80s where punks were the bad guys like in Terminator, Mad Max II or Robocop III. So there is even an added nostalgia feel for me all over again. I don´t want to offend anybody but in my opinion Necromunda would have been a success with only these two gangs and the others are nice to have but not essential.
The gameplay change to alternate activation was much needed as I despise IGUG mechanics in which one player is usually totally demolished by alpha strike of his opponent. New stuff like brutes and pets are also great. As a board game aficionado I welcome the introduction of board tiles to the game because there is no time for me to build and no place to store a lot of scratch built Necromunda specific terrain. Gang Tactics cards (GTC) are nice and remind of the good old BB times in which one player of an Undead team suffered the "Drafted by navy" (can´t remember the correct term and too lazy to look it up) event on his star player vampire which meant that he was permanently lost to the team with no refund. And he suffered the event TWICE in the same league after he rehired the same costly vampire again. You can´t imagine how we laughed our asses off at that time. ROFL! But to be honest the new GTC are in no way as punishing as in BB because these could cripple your team really bad with dice rolling and were only suited for masochistic people to enjoy and these kind of players don´t seem to exist anymore as I witness every time on forums when people cry for "balance" and stuff needs to be "viable" and of course "competitive".
What would I like to see in the future? Models for civilians. We played a scenario in the past in which you had your shootout in a settlement and I had to proxy the civvies with zombies from the ZOMBIES!!! board game which was not so great. But the scenario was very funny as those poor people were freaked out whenever a firearm was discharged or something similar bad happened in their vicinity and they would draw their stub gun and fire at the nearest ganger. Another funny incident occurred when a family man blocked access to a door for the opposing Goliath leader. A nearby noise startled him and he pinned the brute with his trusty pistol that he received from his father only to be hammered into a bloody smear when the angry Skullshank got to his feet.
Overall the scenarios I played were funny, enjoyable and the stuff which happened to take place was sometimes so hilarious that I feel compelled to write it down in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2016
Nottingham
My impressions? Well now that the chinks in the rules are being tidied up the game is maturing nicely. With the scenarios in the new rule book it is possible to make great creds and actually be able to buy the super shiney gear on offer...700 from just one lucky Gloom harvest.

For me, I like the systems that are available, and I like that the game is flexible enough for us to house rule, or just agree with an opponent a swap to a particular mission or whatever. The rules are there as a guide and are not to be rigidly followed.

New material and minis are being constantly released, and long may this edition continue.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
My impressions? Well now that the chinks in the rules are being tidied up the game is maturing nicely. With the scenarios in the new rule book it is possible to make great creds and actually be able to buy the super shiney gear on offer...700 from just one lucky Gloom harvest.

For me, I like the systems that are available, and I like that the game is flexible enough for us to house rule, or just agree with an opponent a swap to a particular mission or whatever. The rules are there as a guide and are not to be rigidly followed.

New material and minis are being constantly released, and long may this edition continue.
So you’re saying the game is good because you can break it to gain 700 creds from one scenario and you can make the rules up to suit yourselves?

Sounds like a really well designed system.. :rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2016
Nottingham
So you’re saying the game is good because you can break it to gain 700 creds from one scenario and you can make the rules up to suit yourselves?

Sounds like a really well designed system.. :rolleyes:
Yeah, if you look at from a dickish point of view. The whole point of gaming is to have fun, we played the scenario as per the rules, but we played it outside of the normal rolling the dice for scenario choice...the breaking horror.

Also forgot to mention that the gang is also a near end of campaign one, with a good number of members...but I don't need to get into that and explain myself to someone who it seems just wants to emphasise the bad in a game to score interwebz wah wah points

Reactions: Paupoi

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Yeah, if you look at from a dickish point of view. The whole point of gaming is to have fun, we played the scenario as per the rules, but we played it outside of the normal rolling the dice for scenario choice...the breaking horror.

Also forgot to mention that the gang is also a near end of campaign one, with a good number of members...but I don't need to get into that and explain myself to someone who it seems just wants to emphasise the bad in a game to score interwebz wah wah points
Just seemed from your post that the "positive" points you liked about the game, I see as either negatives (being able to gain 700 creds from a single mission) or just neither here nor there (you can house rule pretty much every game, even chess).

We can agree to disagree.

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Keep it friendly - the law is ever vigilant.

The new models are excellent but not multipose.

Dislikes:

Models are monopose plus I dislike that they all have different versions of the standard Imperium weapons. STC anyone?

Rules:

I haven’t tried the new rules so I can’t comment. Just for my benefit though have those who prefer the new rules played the old rules recently?

Reactions: spafe and Tiny

Fegbarr

Mar 18, 2018
Leeds, UK
To chip in with my opinions on the fluff, perhaps I'm giving it too generous a read but to me there's room for the old Wild West gangs as well as the new paramilitary arms of the Houses. There's tales scattered through the fluff of X or Y big gang leader who runs this hive or that bit of terrain. Who's to say all these are House-approved?

It strikes me that the current fluff is a logical follow-on from ORB - if generations of gangs are rising up in Hive City and going downhive to carve out some terrain while still retaining their House identity, what sensible overlord wouldn't think to throw a few armaments the way of their House's gangs and make some profit off it?

Rules-wise, I'm pretty happy, for the handful of games I've played. If only I could find a regular campaign near me I'd be a happy bunny.