Sudsy builds with paper...

More greeblies!

OnXYmNm.jpg

D0WsfGW.jpg

eKfhDH3.jpg

44pyq5D.jpg

Battery and storage I assume based on my experience with some tactical vehicles...

SUoUOAx.jpg

Glue dot headlights and turn signals (or maybe black out drive lights).

Reactions: cainex1
Saturday during the COVID 19 crisis, so social distance is the buzz word, and being hobby table top gamers who like to build and paint stuff, we got this...

...and projects to finish. Today I knocked out the brush guard and driver.

MKJ6c1b.jpg

4J2eveu.jpg

ovIj49K.jpg

FG0rwEc.jpg

wFvDpMC.jpg

Used paper clip and pliers to create the handle here:

JMz3IqH.jpg

Greatly enjoyed going through this thread, and looking forward to seeing this one progress. Excellent stuff!

Thanks!

This has to win some sort of award for most unusual project thread. Most impressive!

To me, it is not that unusual... My reward would be seeing more paper models pop up! Given the current global situation, when you all run out of plastic and resin kits to build, there you go; something different, but not really. Paper and card stock sits all over the world waiting to be given new life as a model somewhere. Main goal of this thread is to push my fellow hobbyists to re-evaluate this media. It all started when we were kids and built stuff in Kindergarten with construction paper... We think we outgrew it, but no, we didn't grow up. We changed material, got more expensive materials, but it's all there. We know how to deal with wood pieces, we know how to build with plastic; combine the two and that cereal/cracker box or index/cover stock sheet becomes the same as the sheets of plasticard, sheets of laser cut MDF, or cast resin we all added to our collection when we thought we outgrew the paper craft.

Bottom line, have fun. I've built more paper than plastic over the last two years since re-discovery of paper myself. Lack of funds to pay for plastic largely motivates me. But then, I also found Pepakura software and the people making incredible costumes, from paper. Once I found Eli Patoroch's templates and designs for the scale model side... Well, I even reduced the amount of 3D printed parts I do.

Xavier Bacon

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 26, 2015
Cardiff
Nice work! Love me some Patoroch plans, and I’d seen some of your pics on his FB group. I’ve made so many Patoroch models now... can’t recommend half round nail art beads enough for rivets, btw!

Reactions: Sudsy
Nice work! Love me some Patoroch plans, and I’d seen some of your pics on his FB group. I’ve made so many Patoroch models now... can’t recommend half round nail art beads enough for rivets, btw!

I do plan on trying those sometime in the future... Given the logisitics (i.e. COVID 19) issues my online retailers are dealing with right at the moment though... It'll have to wait. I'm sure I've seen your work as i've read A LOT about the nail art beads as rivets... here and on DakkaDakka...

A few nights ago I started on the tire and wheel assemblies. Here is how I modified my build from the original plans:

HN6l75t.jpg

J2jeMOH.jpg

Here I used a paper lollipop stick from the candy making section of a my local crafting store to be my axle. I cut strips of paper to the width of the wheels from the template. They were around 5/16" or 8mm (ish) by the short length of either US Letter or A4 (it was a scrap sheet after all).

KqiOv3V.jpg

Before gluing I coiled the strip around the axle to get the initial shape.

Sadly, I didn't quite document getting the axle outer diameter. On to the wheels (rims):

LurqsiE.jpg

I laminated the wheels with quite a few layers. As I did so, I punched the center out to allow the axle shaft (paper stick) to go through the parts.

O9IkV2G.jpg

Then I cut these out, and built them up.

For the tires, I used a similar process. Instead of the paper sticks to form the strips of paper, I ended up using a ratchet socket wrench, 11/32" hex socket, as 8mm was a hair too big on it's outer diameter, and 7mm too small. If you can get a cheap ANSI set of sockets, and I mean cheap, this is your justification folks! I built up the tires with the strips of paper formed around the socket wrench:

qUX3BA1.jpg

If you dig around Dakkadakka, Papermodelers, or Zealot forums; you might find a post by Silveroxide in which he builds all his wheels in this manner...

6yvwo6o.jpg

Once those were completed, I cut out the herring bone tire tread pattern and laid eveything out for the final assembly of the wheel sub assemblies.

First I added treads to each tire:

C4rmQW7.jpg

Then I added the axles:

Ox5hIpf.jpg

paW4A8c.jpg

When punching the centers from the rims, I did hang on to the hub puncehs with the detail on them...

VHSxcK0.jpg

Completed front wheels above, and rear dual wheels below:

sZnf3xS.jpg

All set for priming and painting!

Tonight, I started the roll cage. Here I used cotton swabs for my paper stick, cutting off the swab parts.

OESa9Mn.jpg

trWZAgN.jpg

8KEaApP.jpg

cARxjx2.jpg

Nothing much to report here other than to emphasize test fitting each piece and assembly! Right now these parts are drying on the vehicle, but they are not glued to the vehicle yet... They are going to be primed first and t he details inside the vehicle painted before hey are glued into place.

Xavier Bacon

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 26, 2015
Cardiff
I do plan on trying those sometime in the future... Given the logisitics (i.e. COVID 19) issues my online retailers are dealing with right at the moment though... It'll have to wait. I'm sure I've seen your work as i've read A LOT about the nail art beads as rivets... here and on DakkaDakka...

You might be ok from eBay. I just buy from whichever UK seller is cheapest - generally 99p-ish for 1500. I also bought some 3mm and 5mm and use them for lights, sensors, domes etc. Though I am adapting all the plans to styrene so they likely affix better for me than they might onto paper?

Loving the detail of the build log. I’m lazy and take a few key photos haha. JohnnyHell on Dakka, I learnt all my scratch building from the Blackadder’s Titan build logs over there.

Reactions: Sudsy
On to the final sub-assembly assembly....

First, test fit and finalized roll cage:

c4FpEVg.jpg

gUvGYaQ.jpg

hT4HbFj.jpg

FBcMyHe.jpg

Using the cotton swab (Q-tip etc) paper stick cut and trimmed to size

GwlFkUc.jpg

mP9w2VD.jpg

For the ammo boxes feeding the grenade launcher I used acrylic ink on the inside before glueing into place and priming. Any paint that misses the area inside the mostly enclosed space will not be apparent to the eye at first given this coating of ink.

Finally, taking all my sub assemblies and priming!

w8jKuoB.jpg

So begins the painting. A base coat of Delta Ceramcoat Trail Tan on the Krylon desert tan camo primer

y0pzfE8.jpg

Some medium foliage green for the interior

WMf3QuH.jpg

ky70FCH.jpg

A quick view of my wet pallete. Given the scarcity (due to panic buying) of paper products, I have some old cotton ripstop fabric as a sponge to hold the water that I put the parchment paper on.

YBQK003.jpg

Our driver:

CfEnGo4.jpg

T8it7k5.jpg

FqIyolP.jpg

2xvmAUf.jpg

Od9Xqq1.jpg

MUNYMrn.jpg

Reactions: GreyMatter
Tires started out coated with black (note inspiration and color continuity model featuring our Dustrat recon bike...)

h5cG1Tv.jpg

Body base coated with depressed areas (seams, bottom of the vehicle) painted with a coat of Delta Ceramcoat territorial beige

rh7lBh6.jpg

0Bfa7kq.jpg

Next layer up, upper surfaces, I mixed Delta Ceramcoat Ivory with the Trail Tan

g8QoQc1.jpg

H8zphJb.jpg

While that was drying, I returned to the tires to give the next layer up of Hippo Gray

jT9Yiok.jpg

And worked on the roll cage as per the rest of the vehicle.

aX71Fal.jpg

Attachments

• 3f6wsg7.jpg
    3f6wsg7.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Punktaku