Surviving Covid-19 - Yak Support Network!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the current crisis I've just been placed on 'Furlough' for a minimum of three weeks, so I'm going to try and catch up on a few things that I've fallen way behind on.

The first thing is to try and find my old graphics software and see if it works on W10. I've aquired some programs that are more up to date, but are lacking in ease of use and features that my older set-up had.

Next up is Gaslands.
I can blame @Stubram for this one as he introduced me to the game before Christmas, and I'm hooked. So much so that I'm working on a War Rig for my Mishkin team, Medical Mayhem, and have thrown together some ideas for a British Steampunk sponsor.
I'm hoping to be able to process photos to post at some point.

On the GW front, I've got some part painted projects to complete, which includes a Wraith Lord I was given, and a custom Wraith Seer to convert from a Wraith Lord and parts from my bits box.

Finaly, I'm reviewing video and photos from the 40K campaign Subram and I started last year. I did write a narative, but didn't get round to posting, so it's only right I get this updated as soon as possible.

Lets hope the current 'crisis' doesn't last too long so we can all get back to normality.

So our remote game using N17 boards and video call worked really well. Each photo shows our opponents board with our own in the inset.

Just a champ and 4 fighters each, (400pts). I will be trying tabletop simulator, but there's a reason I prefer tabletop games to videogames so pleased this works. Only downside was my opponent didn't have proper barricades and can't use my walls as it makes two tabletops harder to reconsile visually.

That's a pretty awesome feat ! Did you place proxies of your opponents miniatures too ? I can't see all this well on the photos. Also, how do you make your rolls ?
Yes we each used proxies. and moved our phones to stands so they pointed at the dice rolling area. it was a bit of faff having to move phone over each model as you placed them to ensure opponents proxy was placed right but did work.

3d might work with dark uprising or old necro cardboard. i.e. both have identical terrain, but we didn't have those options.
Yeah, photos are poor. but image wasn't always that bad in actuality.

I've been playing boardgames via factime/skype with my family. Risk in particular has been especially successful and is proving popular - it works surprisingly well with the ipad angled to point at the board through creative use of a toddler's chair and a kind of gantry made of Duplo.

Working from home has allowed me to see some nice nature in my garden, such as a family of blackbirds and a red squirrel. Also some "cirrrrrclleeeee, the cirrrrcle of liiiiiiiiife!" type nature...

"Daddy daddy there's a bird cheeping!"
"So there is, let's have a look out of the window and see what it... oh actually let's not."
"Daddy... the bird has stopped cheeping."
"Yes. Yes it has."

DSC_5873-Ed-small.JPG

In the UK, it seems to include not only food but also home/DIY shops.

DIY shops are pretty essential. What do you do if a pipe leaks? Can't have a plumber round to fix it... best just let the house flood I guess...

I don't really think it is up to the government to determine what people find "essential". I bet there's plenty of folks who find building and painting minis or gardening "essential" to their mental health and will really struggle to get by without them.

£150 to £200 a week

Do you starve your kids? That's shopping for two where I'm from. :LOL:

Probably the vegan and her expensive vegan muck. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That's shopping for two where I'm from.
a week?!

We spend... £60-£90 (depending on if we're having anyhting alcoholic that week and few other factors) a week. But then we are veggie at home (wife is all the time), so we dont buy expensive meat.

I was (partially) joking.

We used to spend about £120 a week up until recently (last year), but actually spend a lot less these days since we've moved house and both changed our lifestyles to lose some weight.

Cutting out convenience foods and booze makes a huge difference. We used to live next to Tesco Express so would be in there every day. Now we're shopping once a week, buying in bulk (gotta love Costco) and meal-prepping a lot we've cut our food bill in half.

Her food bill is actually about half of mine (mine includes meat plus I eat more than her).

Its gone back up a little since lockdown as the shops have been running out of the cheap own brand stuff so we've had to buy the more expensive stuff, and also I've discovered the little pots of 10 calorie jelly which sadly cost more than I'd like.

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe
I'll be honest, I've not got to my 15-16 year old self quantities (that would be very bad), but I am certainly drinking more recently than I have in the last 10 years

Ironically just braved Tescos for (my) tribe £238 again this week! Although that did include lots of meat, Easter eggs, toys (for me) and plenty of alcohol.

Obviously only expensive healthy infused blood of virgins Gin, hand crafted beer in non evironmentally friendly multipacks and chocolate and coffee where the producers are exploited excessively is good enough for the Troll! The children are kept keen and thin for the good of their health.

They've suspended glass recycling collections round here. I know some neighbours who usually fill their boxes every two weeks even under normal circumstances. I have no idea what they're going to do with all the bottles now, especially if they are drinking more...

• Haha
Reactions: Tiny and PedroLoco
They've suspended glass recycling collections round here. I know some neighbours who usually fill their boxes every two weeks even under normal circumstances. I have no idea what they're going to do with all the bottles now, especially if they are drinking more...
Start collecting them on a wall... 99 of them is what they should aim for. Then hope none accidently fall...

Yes we each used proxies. and moved our phones to stands so they pointed at the dice rolling area. it was a bit of faff having to move phone over each model as you placed them to ensure opponents proxy was placed right but did work.

3d might work with dark uprising or old necro cardboard. i.e. both have identical terrain, but we didn't have those options.
Yeah, photos are poor. but image wasn't always that bad in actuality.
Thanks for the info, it looks easy enough to do this way. I was thinking about something on roll20 with pictures of the minis from up (overhead ? I have a vocabulary problem here) and scans of the tiles. But still, it would be something in addition to the physical board, because it's still a board game ! But your way seems easier to put to use, and I will try to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.