Surviving Covid-19 - Yak Support Network!

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
As of this Sunday, they said an area of CA the size of the entire state of Delaware has burned. And they’re still uncontained. The center is getting hit by another hurricane (why can’t that water all go West somehow?!?) and the temp has Plunged in the north central and north east... stupid 2020....

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Aulenback and Tiny

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Yeah. It's a remarkable weather event here in Nova Scotia too - no, not any Hurricanes directly [right now], but apparently to do with the fires in the USA shifting warm air north, and thus pushing a very much colder front of northern air towards the southeast... making Nova Scotia have a cooler, 1980s-weather autumn for the first time in over a decade [?!?], for a little while at least. And it is true, it does feel like the Septembers of when I was a kid this week, rather than the Septembers of the past 20 years. Knock-on meteorological effects are ... weird.

This site really only looks at the mainland USA, but consider the location of central and eastern Canada in relation to these maps:

Reactions: ClanBuckCANS

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Sad to see the devastation caused by the fires. Absolutely awful. Also seen some stories of people setting them deliberately which if true is frankly disgusting.
Probably aren't true, people like to tell stories that puts the blame on someone else's ill intent... that sort of thing is extremely rare. Now carelessly and stupidly starting them via any number of methods up to and including setting off illegal fireworks, yup, that's definitely happened/happening in abundance.

The fortunate thing, at least from where I'm sitting is that the fires have stayed around the same distance away from where I live for about a week. So "contained" would be stretch, but at least the threat is not increasing.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
You probably know better than me what with being so close and all. Just seen a few news reports of arrests being made.

We get the odd small mountain fire here in the summer (usually kids being dickheads) but literally a few hundred square meters as opposed to the crazy state wide fires you guys get. One upside of pretty much persistent rain is that we don’t have huge swathes of dry land to catch fire.

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada
And to add to the, "FFS Why?" Thread. Discovered today that the "spare" masks that were provided to the students by each regional school districts, "center for education" are 100% polyester. . . . A . . . . Non. . . . Breathable. . . . . Fabric. . . . . . . Which is causing severe reactions in some kids.

Not to mention a whole slew of other things that just chapp me arse. .. . . . Might be looking at cutting me eleven year olds first year of junior high short if the school Region doesn't smarten up real quick.

Reactions: Tiny and Aulenback

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
And to add to the, "FFS Why?" Thread. Discovered today that the "spare" masks that were provided to the students by each regional school districts, "center for education" are 100% polyester. . . . A . . . . Non. . . . Breathable. . . . . Fabric. . . . . . . Which is causing severe reactions in some kids.

Not to mention a whole slew of other things that just chapp me arse. .. . . . Might be looking at cutting me eleven year olds first year of junior high short if the school Region doesn't smarten up real quick.
The fact that the we don't have traditional school "districts" or district boards, because they were too corrupt, should tell ya something. The scarier part is the people who were found being corrupt in the old district system, are the same people who got in to run the regions. Not to mention that for the month leading up to school re-opening the school regions were saying that a lot of work was being put into fixing the schools up in preparation for students, and teachers and support staff were working tirelessly to ensure that things went smoothly. Then only to have the teachers and support staff union, basically say publicly "???WTF ARE YOU SMOKING! We haven't had anyone working in actual schools since covid hit. Hell we haven't even seen any of these so called protocols you keep saying you are communicating about with us!"

And then on-top of all of that. Kids are being BULLIED, if they have a medical reason not to wear a mask, or if they forget their mask. On the Forgetting mask front, not to mention again 100% polyester is a non breathable fabric, a elementary school student was provided a Replacement mask. This elementary student has asthma so bad he actually has A HOSPITAL GRADE NEBULIZER at home for severe issues with breathing. Guess what, school was told, he might not be able to wear a mask for medical reasons. Told not an option. Kid tried for a week, this day in forgot his mask, was given a polyester mask. Which of course cause major asthma attack. To which the school, which has remaind nameless, placed said under age of 10 child in an EMPTY ROOM, AND WAS ONLY CHECKED ON ........HOURLY? I mean WTFFFFF!!!!!

*TV Static for a few seconds then switching to the international test image* we are sorry this rant has been disconnected for reasons of overwhelming hearacy! Please go back to your regular. . . . . *Sounds of breaking wood and glass* sir!

Oh hell no I am not. . . *Sounds of bolter fire and explosions* . . . Is that the best you got! Well then say hello to my little friend! *Sounds of a chain saw starting up* muhahahahahahahahah

-end transmission -

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
*smoke waifs across the broken image on the screen*. . Fuckers. . . .*the figure of a man hunched over, his head low, shoulder weighed down*. . . Did I. . *Realization dawns to him* . . That'll teach them. *As the weight of his actions fall upon him. He collapses in to an bloody heap*

Sorry for me rant. I shall do what men can in the future to avoid such gore.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Welp, looks like my country is getting a second wave. Nothing catastrophic so far, but new cases are rising by about 50 every day and slowly approaching the "magical" border of 1000 a day, which is where...something will happen, apparently.

According to the health ministry, the vast majority of infections are from people infecting each other at home and at private parties where measures cannot really be enforced, but I also blame our government not being able to commit to their own imposed measures and releasing a whole bunch of super confusing restrictions with a ton of loopholes in the first place. But that is sorta par for the course for how our country works, sadly.

In personal news, my mother's cat apparently has late-stage lymphoma and will need to be put down before he starts to suffer right around one month after my own cat died of a stroke. We could get him chemo, but he's 16 years old and the vet gave him about a month with chemo and about a week without, so it's a forgone conclusion. Isn't this a great year?

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
but I also blame our government not being able to commit to their own imposed measures and releasing a whole bunch of super confusing restrictions with a ton of loopholes in the first place. But that is sorta par for the course for how our country works, sadly.
I don't think your country is doing any worse than ours mate.

In personal news, my mother's cat apparently has late-stage lymphoma and will need to be put down before he starts to suffer right around one month after my own cat died of a stroke. We could get him chemo, but he's 16 years old and the vet gave him about a month with chemo and about a week without, so it's a forgone conclusion. Isn't this a great year?
That is properly shit. I'm really sorry to hear that. It's really not been a good year all round, but you certainly seem to have had more than your fair share of rotten luck. Best wishes dude.

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I think most people seem to think their particular region / country is doing particularly badly. I think pretty much everywhere has done good things and bad. I can't really blame any particular person / government as they've never had to deal with a pandemic or this particular illness before. Its all being made up on the fly.

I think many of the "safety measures" from governments across the world are becoming (or have already become) dangerously authoritarian, but then I'm a freedom-loving libertarian and generally prefer to see people be responsible for their own lives as opposed to relying on others. Nobody knows what's best for you better than you.

Our county went into "local lockdown" yesterday, meaning people can't leave or enter the county or visit other people's homes. We can still go to the pub, the office and the kids can go to school, yet if I cycle across county lines and back again I'm killing granny. Its idiotic. I don't like it. But it is what it is and if it helps people feel safe then that's at least something.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
We've just had new guidelines today, stating that bars, restaurants etc has to close at 22.00, and encouraging people to limit social interaction. No social bubble guidelines, but an appeal to use your best judgement, in order to curb the rising infection numbers. Effective until early October so far, to avoid it getting back to March numbers and another shutdown. I actually think our government is handling it fairly well, navigating in this difficult -and changing- situation.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
We've just had new guidelines today, stating that bars, restaurants etc has to close at 22.00, and encouraging people to limit social interaction. No social bubble guidelines, but an appeal to use your best judgement, in order to curb the rising infection numbers. Effective until early October so far, to avoid it getting back to March numbers and another shutdown. I actually think our government is handling it fairly well, navigating in this difficult -and changing- situation.
This sounds like a very sensible way to handle things.

Reactions: MedMos and spafe

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
restrictions with a ton of loopholes in the first place
I can feel those feels. One set of safe for one group, a completely different safe for others. [case example: locally, politicians cannot safely meet in the legislature, as that would be fifty people in one very large building and masked and distanced to two metres; but schools are in full session with 25-29 lower elementary students to a classroom and no masks for those lower grades, with a third of a metre distancing; one rule for the proletariat, one rule for the important people, as it were].

"No doing this, EXCEPT," doesn't help, you are correct. That "except" means that the "no doing this" gets ignored all over the place.
That is properly shit. I'm really sorry to hear that. It's really not been a good year all round, but you certainly seem to have had more than your fair share of rotten luck. Best wishes dude.
Agreed and agreed. The pets themselves having lived a long and love-filled life doesn't always make things easier on us, the humans in their lives. Feel free to vent. We can listen/read at least.
they've never had to deal with a pandemic or this particular illness before
Well, we HAVE had to deal with lesser pandemics before, and knew that a severe one would inevitably be coming eventually. Word from virologists is that one was kind of overdue. That's why John Hopkins hosted their international symposium last year on pandemics and preparedness, and they based it on SARS, a recent pandemic. I think a lot of our trouble is that good actions during a pandemic to reduce infection are not things that are politically popular, or economically popular among a certain economic class, and so politics trumps medical science. That's humans for you. At least it isn't a horrifying theocratic dystopia ruled by a corpse on life support struggling against extra-dimensional horrors?
to avoid it getting back to March numbers
That motive is a good motive.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Update on the cat: He's alive for now and doing well for a terminal cancer patient.

While no major miracle occurred, a minor one did and things are less bleak than they looked this morning. His diagnosis is definitely lymphoma, it's terminal, but not nearly as advanced as it seemed at first. I saw him today and agree with my mom and the vet, if I did not know what he was like a month ago and you told me he was just old, I'd believe it. We discussed the whole thing with her at length and stressed that we would want to spare him any sort of suffering and would let him go if she said she felt it was best. She's our family vet of almost 20 years, so she knows us, our cats love her and we trust her, and she said at this point it was too early to put him down. He's still doings like moving about the house as normal (if slowly), drinking enough, wanting attention, going to the toilet normally etc. only problem is, the cancer is making him so nauseauos he isn't eating properly and loosing weight fast.

So the vet gave him some slow-release cortisone preparation to slow down the spread of the lymphoma, painkillers and something against nausea. It's a reprieve, nothing else, but it's a way of giving him a chance to tell us what he wants. If he starts eating again until Monday night and continues the way he is now, he might even have another month or so of being comfortable. If not, we know he's given up and its time to let him go. We'll have at least one last weekend with him and at best another few weeks, in any case a chance to properly say goodbye and make him as comfortable as possible.

When I left him today he was stretched out in a sunbeam at his favorite spot and looking a bit tired but otherwise the way he always was. So it's not what we want and can't get, which is him being fine, but we did get more than I hoped for this morning. Cold comfort, but comfort to be sure.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I think many of the "safety measures" from governments across the world are becoming (or have already become) dangerously authoritarian, but then I'm a freedom-loving libertarian and generally prefer to see people be responsible for their own lives as opposed to relying on others. Nobody knows what's best for you better than you.
I'd also consider myself very much on the side of freedom and personal responsibility, rather than authoritarianism, but I think this misses the nature of public health.

When it comes to alcohol, for instance, I don't like the idea of the government telling me how much I should (or shouldn't) drink. I'm an adult, so it's up to me what I want to do to myself. As you put it, no one else knows what's best for me better than I do.

But the various restrictions imposed in response to Covid-19 are different. They aren't generally being imposed on me for my own benefit. Most of them restrict people for the protection of others. In that respect, it's more like a restriction on drink-driving (which even a libertarian can accept) than a restriction on drinking.

Of course, there's room to argue over whether the response is proportional to the threat. You're also right that some of the actual rules imposed are somewhat arbitrary, but then that's often true because lines have to be drawn somewhere.

I'm not saying all the measures are justified. I just wanted to point out that there's a significant difference between restricting people for their own benefit (which I'm generally strongly against) and preventing them from harming others. I'll leave it there though, as I know this isn't the place for politics.

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I agree that some measures have indeed been necessary. Social distancing being one such measure. Screens in shops and pubs is another. They're relatively simple measures with little impact on people's freedoms. My argument is purely that some of the measures are going (and have gone) way too far and many are completely hypocritical or farcical.

For example, our entire county has been locked down, with no contact between households, because a bunch of morons from a rugby club 20 miles away all got on a bus together knowing that a few of them had symptoms. For me the answer to that should be to quarantine those people and those they have been in direct contact with, not arbitrarily close off an entire county of 240,000 people.

The hypocrisy and contradictions are really absurd. People can't visit family members, yet are encouraged to go to work in an air-conditioned office of 500 people. I can sit in a pub with 100 other people, yet I can't cycle 3 miles to the next town because its outside the county. Kids can go to school and sit in a class with 30 other kids, but can't have a single friend over to the house.

The other one I've taken particular offence to is the way businesses have been destroyed by over zealous health policies. Many people's lives destroyed despite them never having the virus or passing it to anyone. Some of the stories coming out of the US are particularly horrifying in this regard, with police actively shutting down people's livelihoods and arresting them, however I see some locally still unable to work and unable to claim any kind of benefit due to a combination of circumstances (money in savings, lack of rateable premises, business less than a year old etc).

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Some of the stories coming out of the US are particularly horrifying
The United States is not, at present, really able to stand as any example of a nation with a coherent pandemic response. Whether to have a national health protection response at all was politicized, and really they don't have any universal, across-the-nation view of whether to promote the general welfare of the citizenry. Different areas - even different parts of the government in the same areas - made entirely contradictory pronouncements, regulations, and statements. The American response, if viewed nationally, is incoherent. A patchwork of directly contradictory efforts scattered across the entirety of their nation.

Heck, even here in Canada, where federally a (temporary) universal basic income was put into place to ensure economic supports for shut-downs, but health regulations are by province. So we have a wide range of health responses with some provinces having flattened rates of infection to near zero, and others with it still running rampant across their province. Numbers are, as a result, very regional. And that's somewhere that DOES have a directed national plan. If it is regional here, how much more so for the USA where regionalism is far more prominent?

So anyway, yeah. I wouldn't view stories out of the United States as reflective of any national efforts anywhere. Including the United States.

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou