• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

Surviving Covid-19 - Yak Support Network!

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
@Malo Any symptoms?
Yeah I got tested because I woke up with severe congestion, complete loss of smell and partial loss of taste. My friend whom I went riding with last Saturday tested positive earlier this week so it was enough to warrant testing and thus positive.

At the moment it just feels like a really nasty flu, with congestion, lethargy and body aches. Hoping I don't get breathing issues which can happen a week after symptoms first appear.

Now my family is in quarantine with me for 2 weeks. My daughter is not happy.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
If I may say in general:

In difficult situations, for example if you get COVID-19, you should be as sober as possible so that you have a good self-awareness. Because of my previous illness I have a little "pulse oximeter" at home. Doesn't cost very much and can be used to measure the oxygen saturation. This can be very helpful in deciding if and when to call an ambulance.

You should also know that if the lungs are heavy attacked and breathing continues to worsen, it can happen very suddenly and quickly. In such cases it is possible that you can become helpless or paralyzed. Especially if somebody live alone with COVID and symptoms, he or she should therefore prepare a little. For example, by having the cell phone always within reach and a speed dial set up for emergencies. It also makes sense to have a list of important dates, your health insurance, a list of your personal medication and an emergeny contact of kin ready.

Please note: These are only personal experiences! - But I'm not a doctor. This is and is not intended to be medical advice and cannot replace a doctor's visit or professional help!
Be careful and stay healthy.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
Still having to monitor my Oxygen SAT's as they're just sitting a bit low. The nurse checking up on me pointed out that getting out of hospital doesn't mean I can't wind up back in if I don't take it slow enough. :oops:

So I've listened to my body today, no daft attempt to do anything challenging just nap lots, kept hydrated and eaten as much as I could handle. The appetite is returning finally which makes getting enough calories in me to recover quicker a bit easier. Just wish chocolate would stop tasting like cardboard!!!

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
No fair joining the Yak Weight Loss Challenge like that.
I definitely dropped a good few stone but it's leg muscle tone rather than the gut I think.

Realised that being stuck indoors was getting to me a bit. Randomly one of the wife's Aunties posted a load of photo's on FB from a long walk she'd been on with her dog in the countryside. It was really refreshing, like I'd been out for the walk with her.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
"Despite the two allergy cases the Government is today continuing to vaccinate between 5,000 and 7,000 people per day across the UK".

Sounds a good deal safer than the virus to me.

Problem is this might scare people off. But reality if some people can't take it, due to allergies/existing conditions, then actually it's all the more important that everyone else who can does. They can then acts as a shield.

Presuming having immunity reduces your ability to be a carrier, which I haven't seen clarified.. though carriers without symptoms are less infectious if only due to lack of coughing. I'll leave that there before I veer into speculative armchair scientist territory...

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I agree that high take up is necessary. There are already some groups advised not to take the vaccine.

On the other hand though, if vaccinated people can still spread the virus asymptomatically, they could be more dangerous in some ways. Less likely to cough, yes, but they would still be breathing and wouldn't have warning to self-isolate. Fingers crossed the vaccine prevents carrying...

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
On the other hand though, if vaccinated people can still spread the virus asymptomatically, they could be more dangerous in some ways. Less likely to cough, yes, but they would still be breathing and wouldn't have warning to self-isolate.
The Canadian health authority has preemptively warned that they will be asking Canadians to continue to physical distance and continue mask-wearing for a while after our own vaccine roll-out is complete, for that exact reason. Vaccination makes you more resistant, and less likely to be communicable, but you can still carry the virus, therefore could still carry it to people who have not yet* been immunized. Once enough people are vaccinated, and remain so, transmission should tank, assuming this behaves remotely like any other coronavirus.