Surviving Covid-19 - Yak Support Network!

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Mostly stuff on using oils and enamels for “grim dark” looking style. I’ve had a bash with some of the products before but struggled a bit so nice to see someone doing great work with them and showing us plebs how to do it. Now I need a new project to try them on...

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Will take a look, cheers! Always looking to expand my skillz beyond ‘slather in agrax’. I see they also have a tutorial on the nighthaunt black coach which i am really trying to resists buying, so i fully expect to crumble today.

That’s advanced use the Troll still drinks Nuln Oil!

Reactions: Luke82 and Tiny

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
For my Nurgle / Scavvies Athonian Camoshade goes on everything. Most other stuff it’s Agrax or Nuln although I like Reikland for human skin or horns (not human horns though. I don’t have any miniatures with those on show yet).

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada
Not sure how it works in the UK or the USA but down here in Australia flu vaccines are available to everyone for a modest fee ($30) and are free for anyone in a vulnerable category.

Most corporates also offer them free of charge to encourage people to get them.

To put it in perspective for you in Australia the annual number of deaths from influenza in 2018 (before the pandemic) was 58 compared to the number of deaths from COVID last year that was 909.

There is a stark difference between the number of people that die each year from influenza (of every type) and COVID-19 if it isn’t eradicated.

Also it should go without saying but get your flu shot as well!!!
Canadian health makes them available for free twice a year

Reactions: Tiny

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I don't know how either, but I believe anyone can get one for a modest fee.

A quick search suggests that Superdrug offers flu jabs for £13, if you don't qualify for a free one.
That's cool. Glad to hear its easy enough if you want one. Shows how blasé most people (at least in the UK) have become about flu as I don't know a single non-vulnerable person who ever got one. Even many vulnerable people I know don't get them due to prior/possible negative symptoms. My sister in law gets one every year and then has to have a week off to lie in bed with "almost flu".

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't know a single non-vulnerable person who ever got one.

I was going to say that I don't know many but, to be honest, it rarely comes up in conversation or anything. For most people that I know, I simply don't know either way whether or not they got a jab.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I was going to say that I don't know many but, to be honest, it rarely comes up in conversation or anything. For most people that I know, I simply don't know either way whether or not they got a jab.

Yeah, its only since asking friends and family this last few months if they get the flu vaccine (mostly in response to them trying to convince me to get a Covid vaccine) that I've even noticed that nobody seems to bother outside of some elderly people and people with serious immune conditions. My parents for example, are both in their 70s and never got a flu jab in their lives yet seem overly obsessed with even healthy young people getting a Covid jab.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
While I vowed to keep my council on the whole Covid vaccine thing a few pages back, and I am sticking to that, I am going to chime in on the flu shots, just for perspective:

I am not especially vulnerable, but ever since I had a severe case of the actual flu about 8 years ago which laid me out for about three weeks, I get mine every year. Around here, the city council provides them for free at the start of flu season, and I usually feel sick-ish for a day, two at most. We are talking mild joint pain, maybe slightly elevated temperature, which is vastly preferable to how bad I felt with the flu, which was sustained fevers for several days on end, and nearly being physically unable to get out of bed. I never had that again, but in fairness, I can of course not determine whether I was "just lucky" since then, or if the vaccines I get every year defended me from that.

That's my perspective on that.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I can of course not determine whether I was "just lucky" since then, or if the vaccines I get every year defended me from that.

I went the other way. Got flu shot in my teens due to asthma, was really ill for a week and never got one since. Not had flu (or at least any severe symptoms) since either.

Could be that the one flu shot has helped with immunity for all these years. Could be that my own natural immune system is fighting it effectively without annual vaccines. Could be pure luck that I haven't come into contact with flu for the last 25 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClanBuckCANS

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I get one every year. My oldest two were hospitalized with Flu when they were very young. My place of employment has a nursing office and provides the shots for free. The most I’ve ever gotten was a stiff shoulder, but mostly I don’t even get that. I get the shot on the job, and going back to work seems to keep it from getting sore somehow. Maybe it’s the physical activity?

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
While I vowed to keep my council on the whole Covid vaccine thing a few pages back, and I am sticking to that, I am going to chime in on the flu shots, just for perspective:

I am not especially vulnerable, but ever since I had a severe case of the actual flu about 8 years ago which laid me out for about three weeks, I get mine every year. Around here, the city council provides them for free at the start of flu season, and I usually feel sick-ish for a day, two at most. We are talking mild joint pain, maybe slightly elevated temperature, which is vastly preferable to how bad I felt with the flu, which was sustained fevers for several days on end, and nearly being physically unable to get out of bed. I never had that again, but in fairness, I can of course not determine whether I was "just lucky" since then, or if the vaccines I get every year defended me from that.

That's my perspective on that.
I feel ya. I don't normally respond well to the vaccines for the flu for what ever reason, (my doctor just thinks I'm either a mutant, or a member of cryptozoology eh), so I don't like getting them. Back in 2016 in February I caught the flu fairly bad, and ended up catching pnumioa and bronchitis on top of it. To be brutally honest I am not sure how I lived through it. I was bed ridden for two weeks.

Ever since then I have gotten the shot, once a year at least. And deal with the felling like crap for a couple of days.

ClanBuckCANS

Gang Champion
Dec 30, 2017
I went the other way. Got flu shot in my teens due to asthma, was really ill for a week and never got one since. Not had flu (or at least any severe symptoms) since either.

Could be that the one flu shot has helped with immunity for all these years. Could be that my own natural immune system is fighting it effectively without annual vaccines. Could be pure luck that I haven't come into contact with flu for the last 25 years.
Lucky. I had similar experiences off and on for the past three decades. Except would catch the flu, and get over it in a couple of days(mind you looking back at it now I also drank like a fish so that probably helped), but when ever I got the flu shot, when. I thought it might be a good idea, I would be sic as death for weeks. Then H1N1 hit while my wife was pregnant with our first. Ended up having to go to the IWK(Children's hospital in Nova Scotia), to give birth, and due to a combination of complications and interns my baby girl spent the first week of her life in a NICU. Scary shit. Especially with the hand washing policies normally in place for a NICU. Makes what is going on now not seem all that bad (on the hand washing view poi t only) while she was in there they made the vaccine for H1N1 available for the fathers for the first time so I went and got it, because when you have a little girl you do what you need to to protect her. Even if you really don't like it.

Fast forward to the next day, have had maybe 4 hours sleep in 5 days, and then being vaccinated for H1N1, damn straight I started showing symptoms. The NICU nurse was actually rather pleasant about the situation. The maternity ward nurse on the other hand, she advised me when I got up to the ward . . .at 3 am I might add, that I had 5 minutes to get my shit and get out before she fucking called security to get my ass dragged out.

Still chapos my ass.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
@ClanBuckCANS are you, perhaps, sensitive to eggs? Or maybe, does the temperature affect your behavior? Like, are you energetic when it's warm, and lethargic when it's cold? (The first is real, as i remember reading flu vaccines have something to do with egg shells.. the second suggest you may be a reptilian and not know it)