SW:A Quality Control

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
This is more a general question out there: has anyone else’s big rulebook (the separate one, not the box one) started having its matte covering peel off? Mine has started to roll up and lift and looks really unsightly now.

I wouldn’t mind if it had had heavy usage but really I’ve only played it about 3/4 times and the rest of the year it’s been sat on a bookshelf!!

It started peeling almost immediately after first use. I’m a bit disappointed in its quality actually. I hope my new Necromunda books aren’t done with such a rubbish matte coating!!

Do you think it’s worth writing to GW about it? I’m not sure I have the receipt now. :(

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Yeah I think I will, it’s a bit disappointing to see it look so tatty after such a short period of time and use. I’ve got books from the early 90s which have had far more use and still look good!

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
@Jeegen sadly the answer is no, they weren’t interested. :(

I sent them lots of photos like they requested and told them that it has sat on a bookcase for most of its time but their answer was that it was fine when I got it, it’s a softback book so subject to getting damaged plus I’ve had it for 8 months and they had no way of telling how I treated it.

The last part I can accept, it’s difficult to prove that I’ve not used it that much. I know that I’ve only used it a few times but I can’t prove that I’ve not mistreated it. How could you prove that??

TBH the matte covering is awful, it has peeled away just by looking through the book. Personally I think it’s a manufacturing flaw but again I can’t prove it.

I would say though if you have any peeling issue then get onto them straight away! Also ask if anyone else has had the issue, see what they say...

Jeegen

Jan 2, 2018
New Haven, CT
Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear. :(

I think I'm going to stick with digital versions and see if that is workable. Even if your experience is the exception, I'd be pretty upset if the same happened to me. I had to pay to get my Flames of War books rebound ( I lucked out and lived near a book binder, at the time ). And that did not sit well with me.

For those who are curious; the enhanced versions of the books available from Apple Books actually work out pretty well. You can skip around in the book fairly quickly, if you're already familiar with the general idea of how they index stuff and how you access chapter and section menus (swipe up or pinch...can't remember, off-hand).

To give an idea of the price ranges:
Hardcover Rulebook (Dark Imperium) from GW: $60
Same on Amazon: approx $50
Digital Version of same from Apple: $40
Enhanced Version of same from Apple: $45

I have an ipad mini. So, I expect it should be easy to bring that to my LFGS and have the digital version available for rules look up. HOWEVER, I have not used it in this manner, yet! So, it may not work out as well, as I assume it will.

Cheers,
J

Jeegen

Jan 2, 2018
New Haven, CT
EGADS, I am a dunderhead. What I said above is for the WH40K books. Apparently, they only have a digital, non-enhanced version of Shadow War: Armageddon. I'm not sure this would work as well for searching for a rule during a game. I've never used this format before.