SWA Community Edition

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
I feel like your group might have misunderstood core rules judging by some house ruling;

In vanilla SWA you can either rearm or recruit; when you are recruiting, you can get fighters AND also purchase their starting gear. The kick is that you can’t swap load outs right after you buy a fighter, they have to play 1 mission(so you can’t get 3 ork naked ork yoofs for 90 and give them excess weapons from other teammates right away, they have to survive with a knife for 1 mission). Rearm means you can buy equipment only.

Also it becomes impossible to buy stuff more expensive than 100 pts in campaign if you disallow promethium trade, which could be too much of a restriction. At least allow to “stockpile” points between mission.

I’d highly recommend to use a “every 3 completed missions without OOA status give a free advancement to a fighter”. Randomly determining who gets advancements just prolongs the game.

Ork shoota is not as great as it sounds, it has no AP and BS2 makes it hard to use. 2 shots on average it gives will do nothing on average, as only every 3-d shot hits. And this is without cover taken into account or running enemies. You need to be at 12” range to be a threat. However with red dot it becomes pretty brutal.

Last edited:

pauman

Ganger
Sep 5, 2016
My english is worse than I thought...

I said: "- remaing credits go to treasury (so you can save money for expensive buys)"
and you say: "At least allow to “stockpile” points between mission."

My group has understood perfectly what rearm and recruit are, but in the last campaign that is what I did:
- after first mission: spend cache to hire 2 battle sisters (180)
- after second mission: spend cache to hire 1 battle sister with 3 bolguns (195)
- after third mission: spread the bolguns

I think it is quite stupid, and it seems you have not played battle sisters...

Ork shoota is much better than you think, red dot laser is only 15 credits for oks, so in short range you shoot 1D3 shots that hit on a 3+ (apart modifiers), while a tau pathfinder shoots one shot that hits on a 4+ (apart modifiers)
which faction do you thinks that shoots better?

I will not compare a big shoota against a genestealer cult heavy stubber, it shots farther, it has more strength, it can have a red dot (with discount!), and it can move and shot.

Orks are op, and choosing a slugga instead of a shoota is stupid.

your free advance after 3 missions is a bad idea to me, because a skitarii gang can win without getting any ooa, while other bands usually win after suffering many ooa. You encourage not to play risky.

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Wouldn’t it be easier to disallow having more than 1 basic weapon or 2 pistols or 2 melee weapons on the same model to prevent temporary stockpiles of weapons?

I haven’t played vs sisters nor skitarii, so I’m confused about skitarii not having ooa. I do know about lame global team rule sisters got, as 6++ combined with power armor means that rarely invul will come into play.

Don’t forget that just being down at the end of a mission has a 50% not to turn into ooa and a scored game.

You are not taking into account that shoota lacks AP and has lower strength. Also orks don’t have a remove cover tool - markerlights , so cover will negate a lot of shots. The whole example is not very good, as tau strengths lies in fact that they hit on 4+... but not worse than that because of markerlights. With innate BS2 it is easy to start hitting on 7+ and that is really hard to do.

I do agree that Red dots are extremely cost effective, especially on orks though and I’d also like to add that I consider tau slightly underpowered. I disagree on slugga, slugga is not necessarily bad compared to shoota, it just has a different role.

Last edited:

Warorie

Ganger
Jan 15, 2016
Phoenix, AZ 85033
following.....

I like the changes suggested so far. One of the major problems with the lack of diversity in the marine builds (chapter wise) but core rules more important then that right now.

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
I hope I'll get a chance to try out an N17 at least by middle-end of March. I want to see how alternative activation plays and maybe it could be implemented into SWACE. If anyone has already tried it, I'd be grateful for shared feedback

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
there was a post somewhere about a guy that was using Bolt Actions alternative activation system in SWA. Cant remember if it was BGG or BnC
Really like the way Bolt Action handles this - also waiting on my copy of N17
Does BA have activation of more models around champions? Like in N17

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Does BA have activation of more models around champions? Like in N17
Yes, they call this rule "you men, snap to action". p83 of the v2 rulebook if you ever your hands on one ;)

As a summary: HQ can activate other units in a similar fashion to leaders/champions. A second leutenant can activate another squad, a 1st lt can activate two, for both of these it works up to 6". Then, captain and majors can activate 3 and 4, both up to 12". Germans have 1 more, eg a german 2nd lt will activate up to two, 1st up to three, still up to 6".
The way it works is: you simply take dice out of the bag for units you plan to activate, declare which ones you activate, and resolve each after the others.

Honestly, I would recomment getting a BA rulebook, it is a pleasure to read! And it also is a nice game. I wasn't hyped by the WWII at first, but gamewise, it really is great.

Edit: of course, given that you take dice out of a bag at random, you could absolutely end up activating a bunch of units in a row... this mechanism ensures that you get to activate a group at the same time... depending on the situation, it could be a good thing to activate first, but sometimes you want to activate last...

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
The fact that there is no opportunity for a Cult Leader really irks me. Space Marine centerd 40K is always a problem.
Given the compatibility between Necromunda and SW:A, borrowing in any of the ORB iterations of Chaos Cultists should be fairly straight-forward in this project.

Of note, I too would want to expand the post-battle campaign elements of SW:A, but rather than feeling the need to create [and balance] anything whole cloth, I would just declare all non-Necromunda and non-Imperial Guard forces to be Outlanders, operating behind enemy lines and beyond the reach of their usual Large Scale Supply Chains.

Thus Outlaw Trading post, Outlaw territory [one base, strip others for supplies], individual experience [60+ for leaders and "heavies," 20+ for troopers, and 0+0 for "new recruits"], underdog XP bonus, and so on. Special Operatives as Hired Guns [and ridiculously expensive ones at that].

Last edited:

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Very rough draft of what could be used for Shadow War: Armageddon Community edition.

1. Alternative activation system: Player, who’se turn it is may choose 1 fighter from his team to activate. Leader may activate up to two additional fighters within 2”. This fighter has to go through Move,Shoot, Combat and Recovery phases. Opponent now has to activate one of his fighters in return. Repeat this process until no models are left and now the other player gets a turn. (Whenever squads with many models like orks activates a model, roll a D6; on a 4+ they may activate another model immediately)

2. Activated fighter can move to a pinned teammate and allow him to test for getting unpinned at the start of his activation phase.

3. In multiple combat: When activating fighter in melee, player has to choose a target for combat in base to base - opponent may choose to immediately activate targeted model in return; Models that are selected for combat, but have not been activated before combat starts, suffer amount of hits equal to attacker’s number of attacks. If you have other fighters in the same combat, then for every activated fighter against the same target you gain +1A and +1WS.

4. Hiding can only be done when the model is 1” or closer to a piece of terrain. Shooting with non-silent weapon reveals the fighter. Fighter can’t hide again if he was revealed during last turn.

5. Rout starts from 25%+ losses; (2D6 – Highest LD in Team) = amount of models that rout, picked by player (different for squads with many models?).

6. Nerve test is resolved AFTER round of combat. Also no more than one nerve test per turn for a single model.

7. Resolving shooting: Roll a XD6 where X is amount of shots being fired with weapon. For every “1” resolve an ammo check after rolling all To Hit dice. Sustained fire is resolved one D3 shots at a time. In addition, pistols may run out of ammo during H2H, resolve ammo rolls in similar fashion after all To Wound rolls are made.

8. No premeasure when charging/shooting. Shooting at OOR target always misses but might trigger ammo checks. Charging at OOR target means making a run move towards the target using claimed charge route.

9. Fighters can’t run when within charging distance of an enemy fighter (premeasuring: claim Run move before attempting to move away from enemy fighter and measuring; if enemy fighter is actually within charging distance, then make a regular distance Move in claimed direction)

10. Charging can be done when the target is out of LoS and out of Ix2 distance, however in that case charger does not receive a +1 for charging.

11. When pinned within 2” of an edge, roll a D6, on a roll of 1 fighter has to pass an Initiative test or fall down.

12. Fighter can shoot through his own teammates as if they were not there, however every To Hit roll of 1 is resolved against a teammate within 0.5” of a shot trajectory determined randomly.

13. Equipment changes:

- No to red dots, Photovisors (easily can push BS4 models into “practically always hit”) territory
- No to camocloaks
- Parry – cancels fumble or crit instead of reroll highest result of opponent’s dice
- Custom crafted Leader’s heavy armor-carapace that costs ~10 pts more and does not have -1Initiative
- Weapons with power settings like Plasma riffles/pistols have worsened ammo roll on Maximum compared to Regular.

14. NCE twists table

15. NCE injury table (with ability to restore fighters stats by purchasing augment/sending him to hospital with a cost of fighter’s price divided by 3 rounded up. Fighter has to miss one game in order to recover)

16. Every 3 games a fighter gains a free advance (has to be not OOA games)

17. Losing leader means that squad can nominate one model to take his place. After 3 games of being a sub-leader, that fighter gains stats of regular squad’s leader and counts as such for all purposes.

18. Special operatives have a fixed cost that must be deducted from amount of points used for recruitment or rearming. Powerful operatives can have a cooldown of being used or can be recruited a limited amount of times per campaign.

19. Rework underdog system, so difference in points can be used either to purchase Special operatives OR claim double prometheum reward + advancements.

20. Dead or Worse: model is removed from roster. After every game for every missing fighter, roll a D6:

* 1-2 squad has located mangled/shredded/torn remains of a fighter. It seems that enemy forces has managed to get to him first.
* 2-4 fighter’s destiny remains unknown
* 5-6+ squad has managed to locate a lucky survivor! However his luck may have ran dry by the time you get there … Resolve possible injuries for fighter as if he was “Down”, ignoring “Dead” and “Dead or Worse”.

Reactions: Space Truckin

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
To speed up shooting resolution when using sustained fire I'd make it like this:
Sustained fire is resolved one D3 shots at a time, let's say you got 3 shots. Roll a 3D6 and for every “1” resolve an ammo check after rolling all To Hit dice. Hits are allocated and resolved starting from highest to lowest (Ex: 3 shots , hitting on 4+: rolled 5,4,6. “6” hits first, pinning target and making it drop behind cover and making it harder to hit, we hit on 5+ now; next resolved shot is a “5” which still hits, however last “4” misses). If ammo check has been failed, then you can't roll further D3's for Sustained fire(if there were any left).

In addition, pistols may run out of ammo during H2H, resolve ammo rolls in similar fashion after all To Wound rolls are made.

“Unreliable” weapons triggers on failed ammo roll with doubles (so, it'd be 1-1, 2-2 for slugga):
· (1-2) Weapon violently explodes/vents into wielder’s face and inflicts 1 hit to user with it's strength and AP-.
· (3-4) weapon jams really badly and thus this failed ammo roll can’t be rerolled in any way
· (5-6) failed ammo roll can be rerolled as normal with reloads or skills

Last edited:

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Progress!

I've had 2 test games as orks vs IG using very basic draft of rules with alternative activation system - 1 model at a time and leader can activate up to 2 models within 3". I gotta say, the game felt very dynamic and tactical, also it went a lot faster than usual SW:A game. Also we threw in a few houserule changes for IG and equipment because why not.

The only thing that bothers me is that while model by model works for teams with more or less euqal ammount of models, it might get janky if you have a horde squad against smaller, elite squad... Any ideas?

“Unreliable” weapons triggers on failed ammo roll with doubles (so, it'd be 1-1, 2-2 for slugga):
· (1-2) Weapon violently explodes/vents into wielder’s face and inflicts 1 hit to user with it's strength and AP-.
· (3-4) weapon jams really badly and thus this failed ammo roll can’t be rerolled in any way
· (5-6) failed ammo roll can be rerolled as normal with reloads or skills
How you can fail an ammo rol on 2 sixes??

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
How you can fail an ammo rol on 2 sixes??
No, that chart(might change later on) would be on a separate roll of a single D6. To trigger “unreliable” you have to roll a double while failing ammo roll. So usually that’d be 1-1, 2-2 or 3-3. So “unreliable” does not result in weapons exploding all over the place, but makes you feel uneasy when you have to pass ammo check with them.

Currently I’m past my 9th test game for my homebrew rule set. It relies heavily on Bolter Action style of activation. So far all 4 of my opponents I’ve played against were rather pleased with it and most games felt more or less even. Games go pretty fast and feel dynamic. I’m still fleshing out wording and such, focusing on skirmish aspect rather than campaign. Once skirmish rules will feel 100% solid, I’ll start making campaign ones. As for factions, only scouts, IG and orks will be included, reworked to be balanced against each other to be used as a base for other possible armies. I’m also slowly putting a basic ruleset in pdf to be used, but again, it is far from over. If anyone is interested I could post a very short list of rules in their current state, so you can test it out.

Reactions: dabbk

Casualty

Juve
Dec 14, 2016
Portland OR USA
Thank you for sharing and looking forward to SWACE. Love SWA but want N17's alt activations (or Bolt action's).
Actually can't wait till someone decides to straighten out movement and initiative in KT18.

Reactions: Space Truckin