SWA: Overwatch questions and Tau

Wolffey

May 22, 2017
Few questions about SWA Overwatch rules mostly regarding Tau.

1. If model #1 shooting overwatch at an enemy charging friendly model #2 does the -1 hit modifier for shooting an enemy charging apply to model #1? I was under the impression it would only apply to model number two since he is the one being charged.

2. If a tau model is in overwatch and a friend model in his fire support range is charged does he get to fire at the charging enemy twice?

3. If a tau model is in overwatch and an enemy charges a friendly model in fire support range can he take his fire support shot and still maintain his overwatch status?

Thanks for the help!

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I dont know about 2 or 3, as they are tau specific, but 1 is correct, the 2nd shooter doesnt suffer -1 as they arnt the one being charged.

Dec 9, 2015
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I seem to remember question 2 being asked elsewhere through official GW channels and the answer was no. I can't find it in the newest errata though. As for question 3, if question 2 is no then I would say no to 3 as well. I think of the Tau Supporting Fire special rule as more of an ability to enter Overwatch outside of the typical means without usual restrictions when a friendly model is charged. It would have been nice for the rule to specify that Supporting Fire has no effect on a model already on Overwatch if that really were the case.

I can see how the rule could be interpreted to mean the answer to question 2 and 3 is yes though. I'm going to play with my group using the interpretation stated above, but I think it will depend on your gaming group and what they believe to be fair. Hopefully Errata v.3 will specify in the future.

Reactions: spafe

Wolffey

May 22, 2017
Thanks for the help guys. The Tau support fire really could use some clarification. Another situation in addition to those above:
Few questions about SWA Overwatch rules mostly regarding Tau.

1. If model #1 shooting overwatch at an enemy charging friendly model #2 does the -1 hit modifier for shooting an enemy charging apply to model #1? I was under the impression it would only apply to model number two since he is the one being charged.

2. If a tau model is in overwatch and a friend model in his fire support range is charged does he get to fire at the charging enemy twice?

3. If a tau model is in overwatch and an enemy charges a friendly model in fire support range can he take his fire support shot and still maintain his overwatch status?

Thanks for the help!
4. If a model in overwatch fires at a model charging farther away(outside support fire range), and then another enemy charges within a model within support fire range can he shoot both enemies once?

Reactions: spafe
Dec 9, 2015
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
4. If a model in overwatch fires at a model charging farther away(outside support fire range), and then another enemy charges within a model within support fire range can he shoot both enemies once?
"Supporting Fire: If a Tau Pathfinder fighter is charged by an enemy fighter, friendly Tau Pathfinder fighters within 3" may fire a single ranged weapon as if they were on overwatch at the charging enemy fighter. They may not do this if they are themselves engaged in hand-tohand combat."

Good question. @Wolffey, I think you've found the trick in the Supporting Fire rule. According to the rules as they're written, the answer would be yes. Something in that just feels OP, however, the Tau are pretty underwhelming compared to a lot of other races.... Being a SW:A Tau player, I have also been looking into some of the less clear Tau rules. All I've really learned is what you've already stated; we need more clarification.

Also of note, the quote above says "Tau Pathfinder fighter." Does this include drones, because all other members of the kill team are identified as Pathfinder [insert type here] models? I would say yes because of this quote: "The following special rules apply to all of the members of a Tau Pathfinder kill team". What does Yaktribe think?

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I would say yes @Echo-Five Zulu , it would include drones. just for ease and because they havent been given an exception like the cultists in the chaos warband not getting marks.

Reading that quote RAW... if your mate is on overwatch, he uses it up, as once you have shot you lose overwatch, however if he isnt, he can shoot. Then if someone else charges his unfortunate companion he can shoot again. However if someone moves 10" away, he cannot use his orginal overwatch to shoot that guy (screw that guy!), because he loses his general overwatch counter when he fires for the first time.

That's how I'd read it/be inclined to play it.

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Does a tau fighter who is being charged himself gets the overwatch shot? Our gaming group can't make up a mind on it.
I mean, model who is being charged is technically a friendly Tau Pathfinder fighters within 3" himself...

What do you think?

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I would say no... just because it seems too powerful. But I dont have my rules to hand to check exact wording

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
I would say no... just because it seems too powerful. But I dont have my rules to hand to check exact wording
Supporting Fire: If a Tau Pathfinder fighter is charged by an enemy fighter, friendly Tau Pathfinder fighters within 3" may fire a single ranged weapon as if they were on overwatch at the charging enemy fighter. They may not do this if they are themselves engaged in hand-tohand combat.

Tau has BS3 meaning they hit on 4+ and no modifiers on their basic weapons, so they hit targets on 5+ during overwatch, also they don't have red dot equipment to increase their to hit chance by +1. Although I do agree that it is very powerful thing.

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Is Recon Drone restricted by heavy weapon status of burst cannon (can't move and fire) seems restrictive given it's range.

Also I rofled a bit while rereading Tau killteam list:
7sHBB3m7MYg.jpg

Reactions: dabbk and spafe