N18 Tactics cards - what are your favourites?

Spiral9

Juve
Oct 29, 2019
Hi gangers. I’ve been tapped to arbitrate the local store’s necromunda campaign, and since all the recent necro releases haven’t been translated into the local language, it presents a lot of work but also opportunity!

I’ve never liked how the tactics cards work in this game, but they have such potential. Since I want to have dual-language game materials and all games are going to be played at a single location, I’m planning on making a curated list of bilingual tactics cards to be kept behind the counter and used when playing. This gives me complete control over which tactics cards people are going to experience! Yippee!

My current plan is to have a deck of 20-30 normal tactics cards that both players draw from; if the game tactics type is ‘Custom’ then draw 2 and choose one to retain, repeat until you draw up to the hand size.

I will make a separate deck of 10-15 cards as the ‘underdog’ deck. When drawing cards to make up a difference in crew rating, one card per 100 cred’s difference will be drawn from this deck.

The regular tactics will contain cards which are useful and thematic, but not too strong. Basically, any benefit is going to come with a downside, or be a small benefit or a very situational one. Sometimes, as in Beast Lure and Hive Tremors, the benefit is simple chaos! Some examples:

Grenade BouquetThe fighter may immediately make three attacks with this type of grenade, rather than the usual one. Each of these attacks counts as a miss and so will automatically scatter. Once all three attacks are resolved, the fighter will automatically fail the Ammo check and run out of grenades of that type.
Boost UpThis fighter can perform a Boost (Double) action: Boost (Double): Choose a single Standing and Active friendly fighter that is within 2" of this fighter. That fighter may immediately be moved up to 6" vertically and 1" horizontally
Combat DrugsFor the duration of this turn, the fighter gains D3 additional attacks. However, should the fighter gain the full 3 additional attacks, they will automatically suffer a Flesh Wound at the end of their activation.
You!Choose an enemy model with line of sight to the fighter you have just activated. For the remainder of the game, any ranged or melee attacks made by this fighter against the nominated enemy gain +1 on the wound roll. The fighter can only make ranged and melee attacks against the nominated enemy until that enemy has been taken Out of Action.
Hive TremorsEvery Active fighter on the table must make an Initiative test – any who fail are Pinned. After all fighters have tested, place D3 additional loot caskets anywhere on the table not within 6’’ of a fighter. Finally, if the game uses a Zone Mortalis scenario, place D3 spare ductways across any walls of your choice. If the game uses a Sector Mechanicus scenario, remove D3 ladders of your choice.
Beast LurePlace the Beast’s Lair marker within 3’’ of this fighter. Then, they can move up to D6’’. If they end the action within 6’’ of the lair, there is a chance they will be attacked as normal.

The underdog deck will have a mix of stronger cards and cards that provide utility for someone getting their ass kicked. Cards which have simple, powerful effects, mitigate losses, or level the playing field:

Duck and CoverThis turn, the fighter may make two Shoot (Basic) actions, provided they use the same Basic or Pistol weapon for both. After resolving these actions, the fighter may move D3”.
All or NothingThe fighter (who may be Seriously Injured) immediately becomes Standing and Active and may perform up to three actions during this activation. Once their activation ends, they immediately go out of Action.
Desperate EffortPick one of your fighters and activate them as though they had a Ready marker. At the end of the action, they are Pinned.
Fight Another DayDo not make a Lasting Injury roll against the fighter. Instead, treat the fighter as being Out Cold, as if a roll of 12-26 on the Lasting Injury table had been made against them.
A Few FriendsYour gang may immediately recruit and place in your deployment zone d3+2 Hive Scum Hired Guns. These fighters are recruited for free and will leave your gang at the end of this battle. These fighters are not counted towards your maximum crew size – they are taken in addition to your starting crew. If you do not have additional models available to represent these Hive Scum, you may discard this gang tactic and select another.
Back to the BadzonesThe battle ends as if your gang had retreated from the battlefield. Friend;y fighters who are Seriously Injured automatically recover and there is no chance for any fighters to be Captured.

Note that in both decks I can use gang-specific cards and make them universal, since I'm going to have to re-write them anyway! The outlander gang tactics, for example, are great for underdog mechanics.

So, my main question is: which cards would you put in either deck? How about ones to avoid? I'm trying to cut back on the NPE stuff, so 'history of violence' is out, but I think '...click' is too - that one always felt like a gotcha to me. I'm especially hoping to hear about some hidden gems for the general tactics deck. Any fun experiences you've had with house tactics cards? I wanna hear em!

MakaroniFresser

Ganger
Tribe Council
Jan 20, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
"A Present For You!" is a humorous one for the underdog deck. Basically have a random non-lethal grenade explode on someone. Unexpected Help (from Escher HoB) lets one unchosen fighter come in as a Reinforcement. This helps if the underdog gang gets a bad random crew and their leader or champ was not selected.
Hive Tremors is one of my favorite cards, but it can really hurt certain gangs and not affect others (I play Escher so it rarely hurts me).

May 25, 2018
Ebley, Stroud, England, UK
as a Van Saar player - Unexpected Allies (VS only) is my favorite. +3 Juves with lasguns (no other upgrades) is excellent for my gang especially starting off.
on a board with a lot of height, I also like Arachni-Ropes (again VS only) D6 fighters are equipped with a grav-chute (no damage suffered when falling/jumping down). means I dont have to worry about being pinned near the edge...

Spiral9

Juve
Oct 29, 2019
"A Present For You!" is a humorous one for the underdog deck. Basically have a random non-lethal grenade explode on someone. Unexpected Help (from Escher HoB) lets one unchosen fighter come in as a Reinforcement. This helps if the underdog gang gets a bad random crew and their leader or champ was not selected.
Hive Tremors is one of my favorite cards, but it can really hurt certain gangs and not affect others (I play Escher so it rarely hurts me).

'A present for you' sounds fun - it's in! The 'unexpected help' card sounds great for the underdog deck too.

as a Van Saar player - Unexpected Allies (VS only) is my favorite. +3 Juves with lasguns (no other upgrades) is excellent for my gang especially starting off.
on a board with a lot of height, I also like Arachni-Ropes (again VS only) D6 fighters are equipped with a grav-chute (no damage suffered when falling/jumping down). means I dont have to worry about being pinned near the edge...

Unexpected allies fills that same niche as 'a few friends' and 'unexpected help', so good stuff. I like the idea of 'arachni-ropes' (obviously would have to be renamed if used universally), and especially the idea of a tactics card giving some equipment which is useful but not necessarily high on people's shopping list. Grav-chutes, drop-rigs, grapnels, stuff like that.

What does everyone think of Goonhammer's ranking of cards?

I think they're good, and I'm using them as a screen for selecting stuff here - trying to keep tier 1s out of the general tactic deck and in the underdog one. However, they are based simply on raw power - they say they really like 'beast lure' for example, but it's too unpredictable and potentially dangerous to the user so it gets put in tier 3 (or maybe even 4?). Tier 1 is filled with all the +1 action cards, which seems a little stale. And, of course, the gotcha stuff is in there too.

But it's very helpful as a reference!

MakaroniFresser

Ganger
Tribe Council
Jan 20, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I think they're good, and I'm using them as a screen for selecting stuff here - trying to keep tier 1s out of the general tactic deck and in the underdog one. However, they are based simply on raw power - they say they really like 'beast lure' for example, but it's too unpredictable and potentially dangerous to the user so it gets put in tier 3 (or maybe even 4?). Tier 1 is filled with all the +1 action cards, which seems a little stale. And, of course, the gotcha stuff is in there too.

But it's very helpful as a reference!
Beast Lure was probably Tier 2 in N17 when the Beast Lair automatically hit anyone who roused it. Now that it has a 4+ WS, and thus a 50% of doing nothing even after rousing, pretty much makes it 3 or 4. But it's still fun.

Reactions: Psyan

Spiral9

Juve
Oct 29, 2019
Oh it changed? Probably for the best - I remember playing the mission where you had to kill it, and it just murdered everyone who tried!