N18 Template / Blaze queries

JustMark

Honored Tribesman
Aug 10, 2019
First time posting in the forum so hello everyone, my name is Mark and I have a current Necromunda addiction. (gaming butterfly tho so might be on something new by October)

We are running a campaign and there's something of a feeling that template weapons, particular those with the blaze trait are somewhat too powerful. Now I think there are actually two sides to this opinion for the record. Firstly we're all quite new to the game so it might be caused by inexperience and secondly the majority of us only own ZM terrain that potentially exacerbates the issue.

With that in mind would people mind sharing their thoughts on a) if blaze is too powerful and if so how do you deal with it and or b) how do you tactically deal with template and to a lesser extent blast weapons in ZM games?

Thanks in advance from some noobs...

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
The fact that you only play ZM is really exasperating the template issue.
But you're right.

Blaze in particular is very powerful. It's essentially a 50/50 chance to completely cripple the target with almost no defensive measures available. The only real counter is to equip Hazard Suits. However, this is a heavy compromise as they're just a 6+ save, which will leave you very vulnerable to being injured conventionally.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Blaze weapons are typically more expensive with shorter range than non-blaze weapons. You can calculate a fighter's threat range based on their move. This allows you to move at a distance from them, but also allow them to have board control.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustMark

JustMark

Honored Tribesman
Aug 10, 2019
Thanks chaps,

To be honest I thought this might be the response. I'll carry on building more 3D scenery but in the meantime it's a case of back-off, spread out and generally be cagey?

Cheers

BdaGamer

Juve
Nov 29, 2018
Bermuda
JustMark, I have an opponent that loves blaze as well. I have learned to avoid the weapons when I can. The wielder is generally short ranged and I dedicate a ganger (or two) to keep them pinned. When you can avoid the blaze, remember that is does make you ruin around wildly which can be used to set his gang on fire, also make sure to try to put it out. Try to spread out and have less targets for the blaze.

I also have found a grenade launcher to be a great counter. :LOL:

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Blaze is the cheapest and least limited way to counter high strength fighters, like Stemmers. It works against hordes or Ambots. And, one can fight fire with fire. I agree it can be a bit too universal. So can Grenade Launchers. But, be careful what you wish for.

JustMark

Honored Tribesman
Aug 10, 2019
Cheers fellas, I don't personally believe it to be a problem at all but we had a player freak out about it and I thought I should ask on his behalf to see what the general feeling was on it's power in game and the ways to counter it.