Terrain thought idea - Reclaimation Center

Smigs

Juve
Jun 13, 2019
scrouging for some ideas on this...
the core thought... fertilizer isn't exactly common Hive Worlds.... but for toxins and animals, you'd want to be able to grow green stuff...
so... the night soil buisness must be a thing...
with trade outside the city being in trashy suburbs... plumbing probably isn't super reliable...
which leads to the idea of a "Hanratty's Reclaimation" business terrain peice... "Get Paid to do your Business." ...
night soil collectors who trade in fertilizer mixes from the outer territory towns.... stuff with less corpse starch, more megafauna bits...

question is, how to build it...

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Something with some big vats, tubes and a row of stalls out front? Proper grungy, industrial setup. With a big sign, displaying the name and slogan.

May 21, 2021
an hour east of Frisco
Google "compost farm" for more ideas.

compost-bins.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

If you're looking for other ideas, think about grow labs (my mom used to grow tomatoes and other plants indoors during the winter), hydroponic and mushroom farms.

With the proliferation of energy in the future I can't imagine why giant indoor grow facilities with huge lighting arrays don't actually exist, even ones full of full grown trees and whatnot.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I am thinking an outhouse. A loo. A pit potty.
My boy scout son and his clan thought it funny to drop glowsticks in the public campground loo,,,which was a vault under seats right. SeatS. So they also think it's funny to drop the biggest rock they can find in and splash their compatriots with blue stained boo boos. Fun kids.

May 21, 2021
an hour east of Frisco
I guess if I was going to model an underhive waste to soil composter type system I'd go with 2-3 water tower type containers in a row, each with a chute and pullchain underneath so a vehicle could drive up under it or next to it and get a "load". I'd make a ladder up to a catwalk surrounding the open topped vats/towers so workers could stir and agitate the compost mixture with long paddles or rakes.

As a bonus, a 'Main Office' building with a pay window could be made, sorta like when you take stuff to the dump.

30-11090.jpg

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I guess if I was going to model an underhive waste to soil composter type system I'd go with 2-3 water tower type containers in a row, each with a chute and pullchain underneath so a vehicle could drive up under it or next to it and get a "load". I'd make a ladder up to a catwalk surrounding the open topped vats/towers so workers could stir and agitate the compost mixture with long paddles or rakes.

As a bonus, a 'Main Office' building with a pay window could be made, sorta like when you take stuff to the dump.

View attachment 153223
How about that combined with outhouses built above a reclaimed quarry stone crusher / conveyor belt? It then carries the the night soil up to the water towers

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Either low containers (recessed into floor) with narrow walkways between them (open topped, of course) or taller containers (open topped, or course) with catwalks between them. Maybe even going over them.

I made chemical storage ponds ages ago from unused CD storage racks turned upwards.

May 21, 2021
an hour east of Frisco
I'd imagine in a hive of billions there wouldn't be much value in selling turds/waste. They probably just tie a pipe into an existing hive sewer line, skim off the solids and pump the liquid back into the system. A separate pump house might be good as well.

Reactions: MedMos

Mr. M

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
I second @MedMos 's idea - model up some stalls attached to a huge, leaky vat with plenty of pipes, and a tentacle or two! Maybe there are some dollhouse toilets available somewhere, and if not just use balsa wood and drill holes in a plank! Of all the horrors of the underhive - from the sump, to the mutants and brainleaf zombies, to the squalor and hopelessness - the most terrible of all may very well be the public reclamation latrines!

Go easy on the "wet mud" terrain effects products.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Makes me think of this:

but for necro I envisage it being a more mechanised system to meet demand, like, scoop hand servitors maybe?
also, historically, aristocratic poop was deemed more valuable because of their richer diet, perhaps spire logs are a thing?

Reactions: Greenthumb

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
“Spire Logs” were sold at a hefty price until it was discovered they really came from the Sump Sea shanty towns…

“Spyrer Logs” are rare finds, ejected from battle suits in remote locations.