N18 The average Necromundan's diet.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
the whole throwing everyone into huge Bosch-esque machinery and using that just outstrips my silliness quota.
I think here we’ve just discovered why there are so many skulls around and no other bones!!

They obviously cut the head off first and mince the rest. The heads a then probably used for... decorations??? Who knows but skulls are bloody everywhere!!!!

Also if you look at the photos in White Dwarf for December 2019 at the “Protein Reclamator” you can see endless piles of bloody skulls around it, barrels full of skulls and skulls everywhere - they clearly don’t use the head!!

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
I think here we’ve just discovered why there are so many skulls around and no other bones!!

They obviously cut the head off first and mince the rest. The heads a then probably used for... decorations??? Who knows but skulls are bloody everywhere!!!!

Also if you look at the photos in White Dwarf for December 2019 at the “Protein Reclamator” you can see endless piles of bloody skulls around it, barrels full of skulls and skulls everywhere - they clearly don’t use the head!!

That is true, but considering those are run by cultists I'm not surprised they leave the head off for Khorne. But I think in general they would, because "waste not want not" and all.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
That is true, but considering those are run by cultists I'm not surprised they leave the head off for Khorne. But I think in general they would, because "waste not want not" and all.
Adeptus Mechanicus Book of Rites, volume 4786.3, section δ, verses A7 to 765.234123.010101 deals with the reclamation units, and how any use of the contents of the head will make the machine spirits vengeful, poisoning the nutrient reclamation dust against those who consume it, making them lo! like unto the Arco-flagellant and the Scavvy, a thing unclean and impure.

This is, of course, why the Mechanicus replace only from the neck down on their Kataphron, as the head is disallowed from recycling, but the rest is not...

Er.

Well. You know. "Don't eat the brains, idiot," was what it said in the original text, but translations into High Gothic and then into Binary do slightly alter things.

Aug 14, 2018
Spain
I may only be a Biologist and not a nutritionist, but the whole corpse starch thing rustles my normally quite solid Jimmies something awful. As others have mentioned, it's impossible to feed a population on its own remains, the energy decay alone would doom this in less than a generation. Also, there are a LOT of good reasons we as humans stopped practicing cannibalism on a large scale a while ago, but one is a lovely thing called prion disease which affects people who eat the meat, chiefly the brains and nerves, of other humans. Doesn't matter if it is in powder form or otherwise, as far as I know.

Kuru is one of them, and it was studied in tribes on Papua New Guinea practicing funerary cannibalism. I mean, it does sometimes turn you into a gibbering maniac, but that is not from venerating the dark gods, but from brain damage. So if anything, the whole thing should be about Nurgle, not Khorne. And beyond that, it's also a very weird concept in my opinion and has no other reason except GRIMDARK.

Yes, yes, Neromunda is grim and dark grimdark now, but come on, what is this, Soylent Green meets Hellraiser? If you have that many corpses, mulch them and grow fungus. You don't even need light or a lot of water.

I thought Kuru and other prion diseases only affected those who ate nervous tissue, and that as long as you avoided the brain and such you were fine but it seems not! Good to know! Not that I had any culinary plans I swear! I understand how much bothered you must be knowing the subject so deeply, and it does not help that GW has little more to add to an already scarce story, but this is exactly why I am so fascinated by that theme. I suppose that part of the corpse goes to create the bulk of the ration itself while others are used to fuel transformations (like someone mentioned earlier maybe they work as fertilizer).

On the other hand I too am surprised that the Corpse Grinder Cults are tied to Khorne rather than any other god. I thought that not only Nurgle fits into the whole "life from death and/or twisted renewal" theme but I had originally thought of Slaanesh and its implicit exploitation and luxurious abuse of the strong over the weak, after all, the Dark Eldar have been doing this for untold millenia on a transcendental level with all that soul-stealing thing they got going; my guess Khorne fits due to the sheer violence.

These guys, though the rules allow your CGC gang to enter a dark pact with any god apparently, do their stuff face to face and their motivation is not so much enjoying the spoils of war or wholesale misery for the enjoyment, but rather the weak reasserting themselves over the strong by any but always brutal means necessary. They do not plot nor pox their foes but bury an axe in their face or die trying, this whole cannibal cruise thing is rather a professional deformation from their former lives, an added bonus to their upheaval but not their cause or goal. I can only imagine Khorne witnessing satisfied what goes down the Underhive with these guys, only to become worried with their eventual turn to Slaanesh when some young, upstart cannibal tries adding a packe of sauce to his meat.

Imagine they lose all sense of aggression and go "I've been angry this whole time because I didn't know life could be much easier!"

Imagine Guy Fieri-inspired Slaaneshi Corpse Grinder Cultists, with flaming shirts, promissing Palanite enforcers a trip to "Flavor Town" they'll never forget.

The horror, the horror...