ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
07/11/19 update.

I’ve just finished dusting up the last boards and spray painted all the bridges. These 30ml vajello weathering powders have covered a whole 4x4 board!! I’ve used them all but the darkest the most and there’s still some left!

Also experimenting with this stuff - looks too bright for my liking wet but we’ll see I suppose.

The white or frosting is from the PVA it’s on a few boards, but mainly this one, and this is by far the biggest spot.

It kinda looks like weathering so I may leave it, or I may go over it with more rust, haven’t decided yet. What say you Yakkers?

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
It looks very much like the white streaks/marks you get on concrete after years, or someone long ago dropped a tin of white paint but it’s now dirty and worn off all but the most recessed surfaces. Either way I don’t think it looks bad.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
It doesn't look bad but it needs a little wear, hit it with a pencil eraser a bit or a dull blade maybe.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Love the shopping trolley. :)

Have used zip ties & fly mesh on things myself, but nothing quite like this or anywhere near the scale :-o

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Greenthumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
These look really good clockwork. That red oxide looks like some seriously good stuff. I'll have to look into the weathering powders and stuff like this more as I am very inexperienced in this area.
Up until a couple of years ago I had a very clean style but these days I like to keep em mucky and real looking where I can. Well better than they used to look anyway. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
These boards look like they are going to make an excellent game. The bridge on top of a bridge is the best part for me gameplay wise after having a small go at some scenery myself recently. :cool:
Keep up the great and inspiring work.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
10/11/19 Update.

Some pre resin shots, think I’m also going to redo the top pond maybe turn it into a crater. I painted it before I’d decided on the canal colour scheme.

Mainly just the bridges and resin to go now.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Also I’ve made these from the box of bits that @Fat Charlie very kindly sent me. These are to go over the canal building to building.

Look at the seamless joins where 1 walkway has become two! Must have been done by a skilled Troll.....Need fly netting, tie wraps and coffee stirrers and Cornish sand prior to the rust dip.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Need fly netting, tie wraps and coffee stirrers and Cornish sand prior to the rust dip.
Cornish sand - like regular sand, but with a penchant for riding a horse along a clifftop, occasionally exclaiming "damn George Warleggan!" or "Ross!" and for mowing the grass with no top on.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
12/11/19 Update.

Mainly hazard taped up the flat boards and added the top secret magnetic connector system (TM pending). Oh and also I’ve been tanking the underside of the canal boards with milliput ready for the big pour.

Edit - I dont like the pond on the flat tile - so that’s becoming a blackened crater at some point.

I’ve also taken delivery of an important ingredient.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
@CaptainDangerous did we make some Troll Brew and Orange Yak Posters? I’ll check the Clone vs Troll thread.

1 comments
Reactions: CaptainDangerous

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
17/11/19 Update

I’ve been messing around with Resin, I think it’s this stuff:

but this is what turned up:

The mixing instructions are this:

And that’s it! go forth and resin! I initially tried a 1% mix which took a good 12 hours plus to set in thin layers, I’ve since tried a 2% mix which set in about 6 hours so I’m next going to try a 3% mix. For the non initiated, the numbers on the table refer to grams and 1 gram is roughly equal to 1 ml of resin, so for 50 grams of resin you need to add 1 gram or ml. I’ve just watched a YouTube video from Luke at Lukes APS and he recommends a 3% mix so we’ll see.

I’ve also been messing around with tints and drops of other colours, with good and bad results. I’ve been using an old unfinished canal project, with a lot of similar materials to make sure the resin doesn’t melt anything.

According to Luke it eats through polystyrene, which I don’t use but I do use foamboard a lot, so for tonight’s test I’m going to put some mix resin on a scrap piece and see what happens.

Thought you all might be interested in this info if your thinking of doing the same. That said I highly recommend having a play yourself before using on anything you’ve spent ages making! I had a horrible experience once with Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. If you have any questions or advice let me know.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Somehow I forgot to mention it also stinks to high spire! Use in a well ventilated room....which my hobby space is not!

It’s not popular with Mrs Troll.

1 comments
Reactions: cardyfreak

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
The Bridges have had the rust bath - cover in rust powder, spray with 50/50 water/PVA and in a new step sprinkle more powder on top. Seems to give it a proper grimy appearance.

Troll Daughter number 2’s handiwork.

Resin at 3% catalyst mix - let’s see what happens, I’ve also dipped some foam board into to see if it melts it. If all goes well I think I’ll be doing the actual boards next.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham

Weird no idea where the yellow paint has gone. I’ll take another tomorrow just to check it’s performs how I want.

Edit - Reading around it goes solid in 4 hours at 3% but cures fully in 72. Which probably means I should wait until Wednesday night to see what happens before pouring on my canals, meh.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
I'd be curious to see what happens if you put some of the pigment you have in the resin. I've had drastically different results when mixing them with glaze medium vs water when making washes, and resin is a different beast entirely. Might produce some interesting effects.

Just as an experiment like - I know they're not the colour you're going for.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Moment of Truth time 20/11/19 Update.

Some bridges got painted.

Its time my fellow Yakkers, I’ve messed around enough and done other things to avoid the BIG pour number 1, but it’s time. Wish me Luck.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Another tip for resin mixing - mix it in one cup then transfer it to another cup, being careful to avoid any unmixed resin on the side of the first cup when transferring it. Should stop you getting any unmixed / unproperly mixed resin on your pride and joy.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
It was like Resinmas this morning, a young(ish) Troll ran (hobbled) down the stairs to check on the pour, all seems to have gone well, it’s set in the cups but still a bit tacky which is ok for 7hrs ish.

Although Mrs Troll is worried about the fumes and the kids.....it’s stunk out the whole house.