CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Cue: Epic Music...
Welcome.. to.. the.. Dangerzone!
Hello and welcome to my work in progress thread for the yak competitions.:D I thought about just including it in the captains log, but I plan (or at least hope) to enter all future events, so I thought it might be best to start as I mean to go on! I hope you have all liked my (lack of) progress so far? Here's acouple of shots of what I have
image.jpg
image.jpg

And a reverse side!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

The first thing I'll be doing is making new steps for the front, other than they aren't quite wide enough, I just don't like them! I don't know if I'll be trimming the bases for the statues but otherwise I think once iv sanded abit more, there isn't much to do to the front, I don't want to make it too busy because I want it as a backdrop for the main models.
Next up, I'll be sticking a load of stuff to the back, that's the technical term for attaching things! The black plasticard will be a walkway, and with the 3 chunks of polystyrene underneath, I hope they will look like convincing supports!
Once iv glued everything in place, I'll secure it to the base and then do some detailing in the tower before sticking the tower roof on.
Hopefully I can get this done tomorrow, but in any case, I'll be starting work on the models and will have something to show you :)
See you tomorrow :D

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Argghhhhh my eyes @Blood Donor knows me too well!

Please cover the packaging in filler!! It's a pet hate of mine, it'll just look like painted polystyrene if you don't!

Love the shape etc and the way you've assembled it - looks like a proper wall.

Hmmm gun emplacements would seem a good idea for my wall, stolen, muhahaha

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Really slow progress today (well, yesterday now I suppose), thought I had the day to myself but the family had other plans for me! I'm totally locking myself in the office at work tomorrow! :)
Didn't even get half as much done as what I wanted but here's the fruit of my labours
image.jpg

Only things I got done were the walkway, the platform and step, the ladder and securing the main door. The glue on the door I will just be able to pick off once it's dry and the walkway is a fraction out, but not enough for me to worry about, it was still drying when last I saw it, so just hope it's dried ok!
image.jpg

Put the two statues together, they are both the same and they both need securing to their plinths once iv sanded them down abit more. The flames are the top of the zealot head, so I'll have a go at painting flames!
image.jpg

These are Perry miniature bodies with flagellant body parts. These guys represent slaves that are just too dangerous or untrustworthy to be handling guilder merchandise. Their only way of atonement now is to walk ahead of the caravan and seek out weak spots in the dome floor or trigger any ambush that may lay in wait! Here are some close ups
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'll see you tomorrow :)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Those slaves look a little top-heavy, but not unreasonably so. I'm surprised the parts fit together so well.

You might want to take a little more care over removing their weapons though, if you want them to have empty hands. There are a few that still have the stubs of whatever they were holding left. Put perhaps you were still planning on some clean up (I see some mold lines too).

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Thanks for the feedback ben_s! I totally agree that the parts aren't completely compatatable, I think it makes them look like they have teeny tiny feet! They were just something I chucked together with the parts I didn't like from both kits! Tho I'm not trying to make excuses for my lack of modelling skills, despite ned noodles encouraging words (thanks ned), I just really can't ever seem to get the finish I want, no matter how long I spend on a model, so I just go with the theory of just getting stuff done!
Now that you've pointed it out though, I'll get right on it! :)

Ned Noodle

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 26, 2016
Leyland
Yes,they are a tiny bit bulky in the arms but I think it helps to give them a little more character then the original flagellants, the guy in the stocks is in my opinion much better than one you would make from the kit. I like how they all have a bell, are the chin bells woven into there beards or something, cool idea. My favourite types of miniatures always have abit of humour or tongue in cheekiness about them. If it wasn't for that snotling on the front of the pump wagon, giving everyone the finger back in the day, I probably wouldn't have the love for miniatures I do today. So I like these characterful slaves.

Ned Noodle

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 26, 2016
Leyland
By the way, every time I see this thread title I get @Fold 's avatar flash into my brain and kenny logins singing at the back of my mind, so thanks for that ;)

Last edited:

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
Those slaves are great. They could be great in-game counters for custom scenarios as well; instead of having to gather loot, you could be fighting with another gang over retrieval bounty on escaped slaves, whom in their panic state would have Stupidity and maybe a few custom rules affect them as they lurk around on the board trying to hide. Great NPCs (y):)

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Yes,they are a tiny bit bulky in the arms but I think it helps to give them a little more character then the original flagellants, the guy in the stocks is in my opinion much better than one you would make from the kit. I like how they all have a bell, are the chin bells woven into there beards or something, cool idea. My favourite types of miniatures always have abit of humour or tongue in cheekiness about them. If it wasn't for that snotling on the front of the pump wagon, giving everyone the finger back in the day, I probably wouldn't have the love for miniatures I do today. So I like these characterful slaves.
Cheers ned glad you like them! :)
The main torso, which is the same for all six of them, is wearing some kinda unfastened tunic which I just didn't like, and while I was looking at the flagelant parts I noticed that there were six heads that I just didn't like, so at that moment it became obvious what needed to be done! They were originally going to have two bells each, but when I tried it for size they were just too much, but I like that you think they are woven into their beards, it's totally not intentional, it is actually just a by product of my lazyness! :p But fluff wise I liked the idea of the caravan having some expendables to walk ahead of the train, they would be unruly slaves or just weaklings, just to show the other slaves that it can always get abit worse!
When I paint them I'll be writing on the back of their tunics the crimes that have caused their predicament, I definately know I want a pig killer, and the one with the flame head will be an arsonist, but if you (or anyone else reading) can think of anything suitable/funny please submit your thoughts! :)
I also loved the old snotlings! But for me they were ammo for my shock attack gun! :D

King Redwart

The Unpainter
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Apr 20, 2014
Balham, London, UK
I really like what you've done wth the EPS. I second using filler or as there are lots of nooks and crannies maybe 3 (or more!) layers of masonary paint with sand mixed in. This will also help give a hard outer coat and seal it so you can use paint from spray cans on it.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Those slaves are great. They could be great in-game counters for custom scenarios as well; instead of having to gather loot, you could be fighting with another gang over retrieval bounty on escaped slaves, whom in their panic state would have Stupidity and maybe a few custom rules affect them as they lurk around on the board trying to hide. Great NPCs (y):)
Great ideas blood donor! There's no way of me proving it but I too thought about them being loot counters today. Your version Is way better tho! I was thinking about alien 3 on the sega where you have to run around saving the colonists before they get 'impregnated', but what you said totally lends itself more to the models character! Pleased you like them :D

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
So, you are another one of those freaks who can handle polystyrene are you?
Don't know about handling polystyrene, but that's definately not the first time iv been called a freak! :LOL:
When I first thought about doing interesting times I totally overlooked that it had the Great Wall of China in the background! I just liked the thought of making Rinsewind and Cohen into playable minis! But when I sat and looked I was like 'ah' I think I might have bit off more than I can chew. But luckily I came across the chunk of polystyrene you now know as my wall, and it just kind of come together! My main objective now tho is just to keep clockworkorange happy, apparently he hates unfinished polystyrene, who knew?!? :p:D
Love your name suggestion, I'll have to come up with a one word version tho, something like chatterbox, but not chatterbox cos it sounds lame, but you get my meaning?