N18 The favour of a Chaos God

Sep 23, 2021
Let me see if I have understood this correctly... From what I have read in the Book of Ruin, the Chaos Corruption of a House gang (yes, I plan to dedicate a gang to a particular Chaos god, I'm not planning on using Helot Chaos Cults) gives you these benefits:
- Lasting Injuries may become Mutations
- The ability to perform Dark Rituals as a post-battle action
- Fighters in a Chaos Corrupted gang never become subject to the Insanity condition
- The ability to include Chaos Spawn in your gang
- The favour of a Chaos god

It's this last thing I don't really understand, because... Somehow it feels contradictory. It states that if my gang is Corrupted from the beginning, I earn the favour of a Chaos God. However, in the rules for the favours, it is written that those benefits are only in my next game. Do I have to perform a Dark Ritual as a post-battle action after each game (in a campaign) in order to retain those favours (I here assume the rules on page 9 and 10 are the correct rules to use for the favour, while those on page 27 are mainly for the ritual)? And also, can I begin a campaign with a god's favours (it appears I could from the rules of page 8) despite not having performed any Dark Ritual?

Sep 23, 2021
Huh, that's not very convenient, in my opinion... Although, it does actually say on page 8 in Book of Ruin, that a Chaos Corrupted gang gain the Favour of a Chaos God-benefits from the beginning (provided that you decide they are one such from the start, of course). A bit vague, don't you think?

Sep 23, 2021
No, that's true of course, but I still think it is written somewhat vague about whether you can start with it or not.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
If it says on page 8 you start with the benefits, then you start with the benefits.
But you need to use the ritual in order to maintain it after the first game.

Sep 23, 2021
(Sorry for doubleposting. I'd have preferred to modify that last post, but couldn't find any way of doing that) Those Chaos favours on page 110 - is there some particular way of earning them? Or, are they just something the Arbitrator gives to campaign players he/she finds worthy of gaining them?

Sep 23, 2021
Well, there's the "Chaos Favours (page 110)" and the "Favour of a Chaos God (page 9/27)". While a Favour of a Chaos God is granted from Dark Rituals, I can't really find what exactly Chaos Favours come from.

Sep 23, 2021
That is, when the Arbitrator finds it appropriate, I assume?

Another thing, also - where exactly is it written that I cannot buy new weapons for my common fighters? And on the same note, if I buy Mesh armour for my leader with Flak armour, then I suppose the Flak armour is put in the stash, right?

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Yes, whenever your arbitrary feels it appropriate.

Common fighters can buy new weapons.
However, you can't ditch old weapons. Once they're equipped with a weapon they have it till death do them part. You can buy them more weapons though, up to three total (not including grenades).

Correct, buying a new armour will place the old armour in the stash.

mateyboy3000

Ganger
May 29, 2017
Nothing stops you buying more weapons for your fighters. I think you may be confusing house of books preventing gangers getting weapons from the trading post, you want to check the individual fighter and hose restrictions here for more details.

Sep 23, 2021
Right, I think I've understood those things now. Oh and by the way, I spoke to a friend of mine who works at a local hobby store - his opinion is that Chaos Corrupted gangs do not have the Favour of a God benefit in the beginning of campaigns, and can't gain it until after the first game, by performing a Dark Ritual.