Necromunda The hive in a box project

Blood Donor

Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Aug 23, 2011
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
...Thanks, guys! I don't use Photobucket...
Don't. It is not a very strong contender in the field. I got put on Imgur after being a long term photobucket user that had all my pics wiped off forums, and it has served well. But the site has all its own photo hosting tools and as @ClockworkOrange mentioned they are fairly good and quick :)

The pic you did get posted looks fantastic (y)

Reactions: Benoksen

Red_Starrise

Ganger
May 20, 2014
Midwest City, OK, United States
Don't. It is not a very strong contender in the field. I got put on Imgur after being a long term photobucket user that had all my pics wiped off forums, and it has served well. But the site has all its own photo hosting tools and as @ClockworkOrange mentioned they are fairly good and quick :)

The pic you did get posted looks fantastic (y)
Unfortunately I have way too many on photobucket to move to another service heh.

Benoksen

Ganger
Mar 15, 2016
Oslo
So, after much ado: (details in captions)

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
As do I matey - but I’d pay a few extra pence for the convenience of having it done for me.

Reactions: Azzabat

Benoksen

Ganger
Mar 15, 2016
Oslo
Excellently thought out and executed. Did you have any problems with the magnets polarity?.
Not this time, but before this project I built a magnitized MDF kit and messed up considerably in the beginning, making it a whole production to get things right again. So this time I've been doing my best to stay focused all the way. Also I've found an efficient and simple technique to get the poles the right way:
- I wrap some masking tape around some magnets and attach a long column of magnets to the side I'm working from, and then when I need the opposite polarity I swap the magnets to the other side.
- There have been some issues with the magnets, though, or magnetizing has been a very time consuming process. To make the magnets properly stick to the two different types of foam in the build I've manually made holes with drill bits and then sealed them with woodglue to get a hard surface the superglue doesn't melt. On the sides of tiles in the future I will drop the holes and the round magnets and just use larger and thiner rectagular ones, propaply the 20x10x1mm rectangles I've now used in the middle. I soon realised that two of these on each side of the "masculine" tiles, just sealing the whole side with a layer of woodglue, would be a much better solution, but I hadn't ordered enough of the magnets and couldn't be bothered to wait for a new shipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azzabat

Benoksen

Ganger
Mar 15, 2016
Oslo
Back form Poland. Thanks for the the feedback all!

I'll now be making some barricades/railings, bridges and a couple of towers than that I can put these into in storage before taking it all to the spraycans. Meanwhile, a little terrainbuilding tip. I've not seen anyone use this in any og the many tutorials I've been watching over the last year,but this material is supersmooth for making little land – and cityscapes. Don't know what it's called in english, but locally it's known as "wallrenewer". Anyway it's thick wallpaper meant to be used instead of spackle and sanding. In housebuilding is something like substituting migrene with toothache, but it's very versatile in terrainmaking. It can be somewhat compared to cardboard. It's as easy to cut and shape but is multitimes stronger, and it doesnt warp. I had a couple of sqaremetres laying over and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's not a material for everyone, but if you're building terrain and have the space, a ten meter roll will last you for years to come, if not a lifetime.

Below is a tower I built out of a Pringle box. The wallpaper is used as railings, platform (two layers), skull symbol and material building up the tower. In the tile system they are are a part of the plates I've used used to build up terrain around the magnets. In the last picture you see how tiles are postive and negative, or actually neutral, with magnets on all sides on half of the tiles, and screws that don't have magnetic poles on the other half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Punktaku

Benoksen

Ganger
Mar 15, 2016
Oslo
So, I've made box tower for the Hive box, or actually it's a prototype for modular elements that can be used as a column and walkway system or be set up to form buildings, in both cases preferably in combination with more traditional end realisticquic terrain pieces. The boxes has been scaled to fit the magnetized MDF kit I already have.

In storage the boxes contain ladders, walkways, railings and barricades:

Two quick scenery set ups:

Platforms have bearing beams that are held in place mechanically by the magnetic force connecting the boxes, or with a magnetic platform lid when on top floor:

Last edited:

Greenthumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 28, 2018
Manchester
I like what you're doing here. Terrain is a pain to store. However on your next photos now you are at the paint stage get some minis in there to Give an idea of scale. Otherwise great work.

Reactions: Benoksen

Benoksen

Ganger
Mar 15, 2016
Oslo
I like what you're doing here. Terrain is a pain to store. However on your next photos now you are at the paint stage get some minis in there to Give an idea of scale. Otherwise great work.
Cheers!
I'm going away for for a couple of weeks, When I get back I'll set the terrain properly up with minis, and come with a report on how it works, and some tips. Shortly now, I can say that the terrain is great for storage, which is the main focus, and playability. It's a bit bulky for transportation when I can't use the car, but I can get enough terrain in one Ikea bag to make decent battlefield and it's not too big a hazzle to carry two bags down to the store. The magnets are not working as well as I hoped. They're ok on the tiles and the wall sections, but the magnets I had availabale for the railings and barricades were too tiny, so these keep getting knocked down when used.

Last edited: