Necromunda The Spire: An N17/N18 Praising Thread

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Interested to see if we gonna have a "seasons pass" style game. Campaigns come and go:

1) Turf War campaign (May 2018)
2) Dominion campaign (August 2018)
3) Law & Misrule campaign (August 2019)

Turf War was never explicitly abandoned, it was implicitly replaced by Dominion campaign. Today, Dominino is the previous campaign. Many Intrigues are refurbished House Sub-plots with additional Law Abiding / Outlaw mechanics for the Law & Misrule campaign. Are both current campaigns and Sub-plots alive and well? Or did Dominion and House Sub-plots silently die? Same with Territories and Rackets.

Dominon --> Law & Misrule
Territory --> Racket
House Sub-plot --> Intrigue

Are we going to see future campaigns to live in parallel? Will GW give us future campaigns where it's mostly a reskin of the previous? Dominion did make it into the core rulebook, so if abandoned, we could see a rulebook v3 including Law & Misrule campaign. Probably not, but we keep getting surprised!

The new campaign got so much new content, once you start loading up on criminal alliances, Black Market weapons and Outlaw Hangers-on and Bounty hunters, I don't see any path back to Dominion.

If Necromunda is designed to be a seasons pass style game, no wonder they keep putting out tactics cards, while stop selling previous ones.

Last edited:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
It's a hot mess, but the options it gives look incredible. We've not adopted the BoJ yet, just getting games in with BoP, but the peril stuff it adds are great, so looking forward to the next campaigns madness with the Judgement stuff too.

There are a few bits we'll tack on, like giving enforcers the mastiff pet same as the orlocks, but by and large it is such a fantastic toolbox of options.

It's not a slick system like 40k or AoS (spits), but it is a fun system

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
What I like most about this game is how it facilitates storytelling. The people in my campaigns like to write backgrounds, and post battle inter-gang intrigue, and shape random things from thier games into little narratives.

The toolbox is huge for creating this stuff. Just a small example, last campaign I rewarded the players that wrote narratives with custom subplots.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
it seems like N18 is evolving into a pretty open system to run whatever kinda game you want.
It is! Which is a cool thing for fun games though I hope it doesn’t dissolve so far down that route that the system is no longer “Necromunda” but more of an Inqisimuda thing.

Depends if you like that or not. I’d prefer Necromunda to be about gangs and the general run down underhive not lots of other random stuff. I think that’d be better in a different more open sandbox game for outside Hive Primus.

If Necromunda is designed to be a seasons pass style game, no wonder they keep putting out tactics cards, while stop selling previous ones.
It could be but I really hope we don’t have endless campaigns as that limits the ability of people to join in as they might not have the “latest update” and it creates planned obsolescence for the older ones.

We’ve already had a taste of that with the Gang Wars and limited cards (though they are useable still).

I love a lot of what they’re trying to do - just not the methods so much.

Reactions: Space Truckin

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
What is wrong wth an endless campaign?
I dunno if you’re talking to me or not. I guess so as it’s the next post.

Nothing. Nothing at all. That’s kinda how the original ran - some peoples games went on for years!

N18’s systems don’t really work like that they seem to suggest you run X weeks, week off, X weeks, end. Then you can use the same gang, just a few old favourite characters or start afresh in a new campaign.

Also you can’t really segue seamlessly between Turf War to Dominion. Not without a break of play.

I know they did a white dwarf update but I’ve not got it. Which is why such updates aren’t helpful, nor endlessly releasing new campaign systems as it requires constant buy-in. But this is the wrong thread for that.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Necromunda has always been a great system for that, they used to encourage Newsletters to be made for gaming groups in the 90s!

Reactions: Aulenback

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
It could be but I really hope we don’t have endless campaigns as that limits the ability of people to join in as they might not have the “latest update” and it creates planned obsolescence for the older ones.

We’ve already had a taste of that with the Gang Wars and limited cards (though they are useable still).

I love a lot of what they’re trying to do - just not the methods so much.
It is very much planned obsolescence! Books, Turf War, maybe Dominion? Maybe House sub-plots? For another thread, yes.

Mymearan

Ganger
May 29, 2014
Playing a campaign right now with my club. Previously I played with one other guy but now, with the compilations (Edit: Rule Book and Gangs of the Underhive) out, were finally getting the entire club into it. Easily my favourite game ever, supplanting the classic Necro. Everything is just so incredibly cinematic, and the narrative each game creates is mind blowing. The rules are such a huge improvement on the old ones and offer endless possibilities. My only complaint is that they really dropped the ball on the cards, forcing us to download unofficial versions to use them. Otherwise, a few minor rules niggles aside, I just cant find a single thing to dislike. They just keep releasing incredibly flavorful rules which I'm sure our arbitrator will use to their fullest potential... and I cant wait! Also the new expanded fluff just sets my imagination racing the more I read, and this is from someone who cant really be bothered with the current 40k narrative (which is... not that great).

Last edited:

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Book of perils and BO judgement. I'm assuming the compilations being referred to are the n18 rules and gangs of the underhive.

sumpthing

Hive Scum
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Perth, Australia
Hey guys, I'm a returning member. Necromunda is what got me into wargaming waaaay back when white dwarf #190 came with a free plastic house orlock mini taped to the front of it and I must say I'm loving the depth brought on by the books of judgement and peril and I'm pretty excited about the book of ruin!

Who would have thought we'd have 10 factions within 2 years! I miss some of the old gangs but I'm also enjoying the new inclusions so it all balances out.

crimsonsun

Gang Champion
May 4, 2013
www.crimsonsun2000.wordpress.com
I'm so glad I read this thread after reading a good chunk of the Sump, having just ordered a boat load of the rebooted Necromunda materials to add to my existing hordes, having chosen to get back into the underhive while I await the next waves of my Kingdom Death Monster plastic crack addition to be delivered. I'm so glad that I was correct in thinking that while there's obviously some issues with the new system there's also a archetech hordes worth of positives.

While I'm waiting for the materials to arrive I've found digital versions of the compendiums, book of judgement & book of peril online with very little effort so I can now judge pretty accurately what I will pick up first after my initial splurge which is dark uprising, BoJ, BoR, GotU, Escher, Van Saar, Cawdor (I have existing Escher, Van Saar, Delaque and Redemptionists so it would be rude not too get new recruits for them) & Ambots. I really hope they release Ratskins and Scavvies because they are my favourite gangs so come on games workshop...

I've got to say I'm super excited for the expanded stat lines which allow for lots more interactions and mission possibilities, I love the fact we have a new activation system the old one being so out dated it was cringe worthy. Seems there's tons of ideas here and that's always good, I'm looking forwards to getting back into the games lore as the Underhive is such a fantastic setting, its so visual and thought provoking.

Finally a question to the masses, there seems to be a ton of optional campaign mechanics in play now, but little structure to how you utilise them in one place, do you simply pick and choose? What works? What doesn't? How's balance now (it sounds like I care, I actually loved the inbalance in the original ruleset because it was more thematic).

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Finally a question to the masses, there seems to be a ton of optional campaign mechanics in play now, but little structure to how you utilise them in one place, do you simply pick and choose? What works? What doesn't? How's balance now (it sounds like I care, I actually loved the inbalance in the original ruleset because it was more thematic).
essentially yes. you have the”basic” Dominion campaign that you can add or subtract any of the parts you want from other books into. You just want to agree with your gaming group what rules you are or are not using in any given campaign.

Pretty much everything will work together, though some needs a bit of sanding around the edges to fit perfectly.

The game is still as imbalanced as ever, it’s just that the imbalance has changed a little bit.