Necromunda The Sump: An N17/N18++ venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

Caledore

Ganger
Jun 2, 2015
Maryland, USA
I don't hate the idea of the vampire 'centaur' - I like the idea of more monstrous vampires in theory - but the execution just feels wrong somehow. The blend between torsos doesn't seem right, like someone just chopped off the two halves from different kits and glued them together without much thought.

Radukar the Beast is a better take on a vampire-turned-full-monster, although I'd rather it be a generic character kit. Never cared for special characters; I want my army to be My Guys.

Dire Wolves are great though - never liked the old kit. Might get use from me one day for Mordheim.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
While the dire wolves may be better than both the old models and the other things revealed, I wouldn't go so far as to call them great myself. Then again, I don't particularly care for the GW/AoS style these days. Not sure whether it's them or me that's changed. I suppose it's nice to see practically a whole new army range though.

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
I quite like the Kragnos model. One of the better models in that selection, the only other one I like is Radukar the Beast. The rest is just the typical AoS turn it up to 11 and stick things together is some vague attempt to create something 'unique' (while at the same time driving their older fans, who liked the classic fantasy tropes, even further away).

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Another observation is that GW models seem to always be getting taller and taller... Rare is the new model that isn't stupidly tall, on a tall podium/rock, with stuff sticking out its head to make it even taller.
Yeah, they still laughably call their models 28mm Heroic. The scale creep is so much that most are probably pushing 32mm.

Almost every character is vastly above that to the point that they’re a diorama on a base.

People used to complain about 54mm for Inquisitor. At least that made sense.

The one that gets me is from 40k and is the Space Marine (Gulliman?) who is pretty much an action figure.

The blend between torsos doesn't seem right, like someone just chopped off the two halves from different kits and glued them together without much thought.
It does look like that. I think it’s because there’s no anatomical connection at all. Because of all the armour you really can’t see how they join (I think there’s a second top torso too) so it looks like they’ve badly converted them by removing the larger creatures head and the legs of the regular guy.

I wonder how long it’ll be before someone does a reverse conversion and gives the top guy some in-scale legs and the big guy a head??

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder how long it’ll be before someone does a reverse conversion and gives the top guy some in-scale legs and the big guy a head??
When someone wants to actually bother with/can justify the cost of buying the model, I'd wager.

To get that model purely for a conversion, in my mind, is more likely than buying it to use as is, though; the thing looks singularly terrible.

Heart of Storm

Gang Champion
Mar 8, 2019
I quite like the Kragnos model. One of the better models in that selection, the only other one I like is Radukar the Beast. The rest is just the typical AoS turn it up to 11 and stick things together is some vague attempt to create something 'unique' (while at the same time driving their older fans, who liked the classic fantasy tropes, even further away).
You'd have thought the huge success of the Total War:Warhammer games would have showed GW how much people still love the more traditional fantasy setting of the OG warhammer world...

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
You know what would actually make me like Kragnos? If it was a sign they'd be making chaos dwarves again, what with the whole "he's a bull centaur".

I mean he is more of a centagaur than a bull centaur.

I would t be pinning any hopes on a true chaos dwarf army anymore. They have folded them into the fluff for chaos and you might see the occasional chaos dwarf model but it is unlikely to become a proper army again.

Unless of course you turn the fyreslayers into a chaos dwarf off shoot. I mean they love fire and lava, they ride monsters, they have even in the past done deals with chaos warlords to defeat other foes.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
3494525E-BB49-480E-B1BE-D9449D00ECC1.jpegEDF7361A-7A51-486C-AA40-C232A62DDCBC.jpeg
fixed.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019
Isn't the problem simply that it has two torsos? And whilst Centaurs do as well, it's different in the sense that Centaurs have two pairs of legs on either end of the first torso, and then a pair of hands higher up. Plus, you know, it's not an unfamiliar shape since they kind of look like people riding a horse, so the two torsoes thing is more easily overlooked.

Here, from the bottom its: Legs -> Torso 1 -> arms -> torso 2 -> more arms?! -> head.

It doesnt have either of the advantages of a centaur (i.e. (i) it's a more familiar shape and approximates a man riding a horse; and (ii) on a centaur the torsos work completely differently, and achieve different things - one is horizontal and joins two pairs of legs, the other is a human torso)) - it's just one torso, then another similar one that does the same thing.

As a result, it doesn't really make sense by any token - wings are joined at the wrong place to make flight easy, it needs two pairs of shoulders that effectively do the same thing - wouldn't it be more efficient to just have one pair of shoulders from which both wings and arms work? I also can't see what the second torso enables that wouldnt be enabled by the first (if you stuck the arms at the same level as wings) - Centaur horse torso achieves different things to human torso - but here, I don't really see that the second (top) torso gives a wider range of movement, or really confers any advantage at all.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
@Malevolent Pink Cat yep, it’s weird because it’s attached at what appears to be the neck of a much larger creature. Also attached at what appears to be the waist of the smaller one.

It looks to me to be a creature that has been unnaturally merged from two separate things badly. Like an ‘AoS Centipede’ so to speak.

Talking of centaurs though, I have often wondered what is in each torso? The lungs would need to be in the horse bit surely, otherwise it’d have a terrible time running. Same for the heart.

What about the digestive system? Presumably it starts in the human bit but then passes through to the horse bum??

So... if most of the necessary bits are in the horse section is the human bit hollow? Does it have extra organs??

Gorgons and mermaids kinda make sense as in both those cases you’re just replacing legs with other animal bits. Satyrs too, just different legs but the Centaur just makes no sense due to the fact that it has two torsos.

It should just have a pair of horse legs. Or a big human face instead of a horse head - much like an old Ral Partha Chimera I have (lion body not horse though; it also has wings coming from the lion back).

Last edited:

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I always assumed a centaur had two sets of bits, one in each body, but it would need two pairs of lungs to both breath simultaneously to work. All the other duplicate parts could largely just connect together to work.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
horseheadmask3.jpg

I always assumed a centaur had two sets of bits, one in each body, but it would need two pairs of lungs to both breath simultaneously to work. All the other duplicate parts could largely just connect together to work.
It’s the most common theory that it’s just a human torso and horse torso joined. I’m not sure anatomically it’d make sense to have synchronised lungs as, well, I can’t see what evolutionary purpose it’d serve.

Likewise with the heart. One big horse heart makes morse sense than a big horse heart and a random human sized one attached elsewhere to the same circulatory system. Most multi-heart creatures like octopuses have them all in the same location.

The digestive system could be conjoined though.

• Haha
Reactions: Tiny
Jan 10, 2019

Centaur is bigger than a horse since it has a whole extra set of limbs and a much more complex brain, plus a bigger circulatory system - so would imagine it needs both hearts, both sets of lungs etc in order to get enough oxygen etc etc.

Also leads to interesting questions like what it eats - if it just has a horse digestive tract, then surely it wouldnt be an omnivore.

Let's not even speculate as to how it mates.