Necromunda The Sump: An N17/N18++ venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
Tbh I'm really enjoying painting Battletech minis at the moment and they're bendy PVC (not as bendy as Reaper Bones but similar to Zombicide minis). They have some fairly bad mould lines but are the most durable gaming minis you could ever ask for.
Big fan of the new battletech stuff. Wish they came on sprues though as that would make finding and dealing with the mold lines easier and allow you to vary the poses a bit more.

If you want really bad though I've just been assembling an old Ral Partha Warhawk/Masakari model I bought a couple of years ago. Terrible casting, torso mold has badly slipped, details not cast properly and ridiculous amounts of flash. Urrgh.

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Big fan of the new battletech stuff. Wish they came on sprues though as that would make finding and dealing with the mold lines easier and allow you to vary the poses a bit more.

I thought that at first but then realised the time saving from not having to assemble them was a worthwhile tradeoff. If they just didn't glue the arms and bases on in the factory that would probably be a fair compromise.

Reactions: Trafalgar Law

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
I thought that at first but then realised the time saving from not having to assemble them was a worthwhile tradeoff. If they just didn't glue the arms and bases on in the factory that would probably be a fair compromise.
That is certainly nice. Being able to use them straight out of the box if you want is a good thing.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Creating for yourself is ALWAYS an option. GW gives you a baseline and then you can mod it to your heart's content.
Well, if by that you mean “ignore what their rules system says” then yes. They don’t really give you a baseline either - the 1995 version is better in that respect. The new one literally forces you down using a premade Route. If you want some physical variety you still have to proxy over their rule set.

What I meant was they could have made a more open creation system that you could create your own gangs with!
Stuff the houses, getting stuck there is just as bad. And don’t start on about venators, they’re better but imagine that x100 and you’d be in the right park.

Problem with the houses is that while it’s great to give a few sample options to start with, they’re taken it as literal “this is all they are” options. Was bad enough in ORB era but at least it was your choice to arm and style them, now you have a Codex for each one. Then the fluff fanatics kick in and before you know it peoples cool projects are getting rejected* because they don’t fit the house mould.

Imagine if this was an RPG but instead of being able to create your own character you were stuck with one of six premade ones. Then the next Edition they limited what gear you could buy and use.
Not very open at all.

After that you might as well just read a novel.

I had a long post prepared but yes this is heading sumpward...
You could still post it in the Sump if it’s worth reading?

*seems to happen a lot on Facebook.

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
This is so minor, but I thought that GW dice were generally 14mm like the Kill Team ones... ordered the new Sororitas dice and a custom dice holder/tracker with that in mind but nope, 16mm!

Now debating on whether or not to rebuy the tracker or just put up with using non special dice for Miracle Dice.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
WTF...

1624094179232.png

I mean, I suppose it's a good thing to have a queuing system, but having to wait more than an hour (with no more specific guide) for a ten-minute shopping window seems ridiculous.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
WTF...
View attachment 133330

I mean, I suppose it's a good thing to have a queuing system, but having to wait more than an hour (with no more specific guide) for a ten-minute shopping window seems ridiculous.
I've heard its meant to try to combat scalpers.

Doubt a queue will stop them, unless a successful purchase closes the session and they have to rejoin the queue, and pre-orders are limited to one of each pre-order item per order.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The simple solution would be if pre-orders were a made to order, rather than while stocks last. Then everyone would have a week (or two) to pre-order, knowing that they would be able to get the item they want, and there would be no need for a scramble the minute things go live (or an hour's wait later).

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
The simple solution would be if pre-orders were a made to order, rather than while stocks last. Then everyone would have a week (or two) to pre-order, knowing that they would be able to get the item they want, and there would be no need for a scramble the minute things go live (or an hour's wait later).
Would also kill the scalpers market - if people can definitely get one of a thing, there's no real need to trawl eBay.

Reactions: Stoof