Necromunda The Sump: An N17 venting thread

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
You're seen as some kind of weird leper if you play the original game.
Preach it my NCE brother!
"Your Escher use crap old models and their loadout doesn't work in the game."
"Their loadout is fine for "the game" - just not the version you play."
"The old one is shit though."
(Next post from said person is them complaining because they were ganked round 1 by a combination of overpowered tactics cards and broken rules :LOL:).

That and who doesn't love being lectured about the origins and lore of the Necromunda game, and why their Goliaths should have easy access to Terminator-grade weaponry, by someone who appears to be about 15 years old 🤦‍♂️

...and "I'm making a retinue of Inquisitors/Ventors in power armour/Spehss Mereens - bask in the glory of the frankly ludicrous statlines I'll be using!" posts. What fun.

Basically, facebook is best avoided.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
(Next post from said person is them complaining because they were ganked round 1 by a combination of overpowered tactics cards and broken rules :LOL:).
Ha, this so much.

Got lectured on how "shit" the old game is the other day and how much better the new game is by someone who not only looked like they hadn't reached puberty yet but then in their next post stated they finally got round to playing their first game and needed tips on how to beat Corpse Grinders.

cronevald

Gang Champion
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
Wow, it's that bad eh? I'm glad I don't do FB. Reddit seems relatively sane in comparison (even though the "look at my plastic ZM terrain / black and yellow Enforcers" trend is real there too)
It's not that bad if you ignore the rules "discussions" (which on FB are about as circular and useful as an old game of telephone). If you're just there for the pictures there's a lot of good stuff. There has been an uptick of stock painting with the release of the new terrain and Enforcers, but there's also a healthy love of conversions, scratchbuilt or printed terrain, old models, and the old card and bulkhead terrain. Just last week someone was posting catalog pages of all the old metals. If I go on there right now someone's been posting nice scavy conversions adding extra mutations to the old models.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The thing I find odd about FB groups is the number of “I want to build Gang X: Show me yours for inspiration.” If you need inspiration, why are you building this gang in the first place?

Unless maybe they’re wanting to build the gang because they’re an OP gang they think will win all the time? I dunno...

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
If you need inspiration, why are you building this gang in the first place?
While not on facebook so not done this... I would do this... so so much.

I loved seeing the day of the dead escher gang when necromunda first got rebooted, that gave me a lot of inspiration for how I could paint my gang (then I realised I basically use fingerpainting compared to their skill level but hey ho). I love seeing ideas of others, because I'm as unimaginative as a door. But if I can see half dozen other cool ideas, I can usually piece together bits I like from all of them to make my own fun idea.

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I think it’s most likely that, the amount of money folks are spending, it’s kinda natural to want to show it off. Even in its most basic form.
Like, using the Lego comparison, if I had bought and made the Apocalypseburg set (which is a similar price to dark uprising) or say the Death Star (which is twice the price), I wouldn’t hesitate posting them every opportunity I got!
But because we have unusual taste/are borderline broke, our flexes are of plastic boxes that we have paid way too much for!

A greater Sump from me is: do I really need to buy the additional books?
Ruin, judgement and peril will all cost £80 combined! It really pains me to say it, but I just don’t think I love Necromunda enough to want them!?!

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Admittedly I’m different, building a kit that’s exactly as designed is so boooring, I can’t even put an MDF kit together without adding various extras.

I’m happy to be on the side of @Tiny and the light, all these Jonny come latelys with their new crazy rules haven’t a clue 😝

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Ruin, judgement and peril will all cost £80 combined! It really pains me to say it, but I just don’t think I love Necromunda enough to want them!?!
If you buy the books, you get incorrect rules and no proper layout. If you get a fan made rules compilation, you get correct rules with proper layout.

Galtarr

Gang Champion
Mar 1, 2017
Nope you don't. seriously Rulebook and gangs of underhive is the way to go. The remaining three are optional adding additional gangs and campaign stuff.

Officially our campaign uses peril and Judgement but only really for gangs. We copied and pasted all scenarios to our own format so we can tweak rewards/playstyle. Campaign the same its effectively our own based on ideas from books we like. In other words beyond first two books its a pick and choose to define your scenarios and campaign. [ or would be if it weren't for additional gang Rules]

Personally rather than fancy Corpse cult whatsits Id like a generic minor house / non-affiliated gang stats and HWL stats akin to Orlock with a bit more las weaponry in place of some of the more exotic orlock stuff. Create your own minor house gang... ok think I might go work on a pet rules project there...

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Fluff wise, aren’t Minor Houses referred to as Clans? So to stick with your idea, you could do one that’s responsible for, say, energy cells or focusing crystals for Las weapons, and so their HWL (which I personally despise) could be Las-weapon based.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Is anyone else bored s**tless of the endless “this is how I painted my built exactly to the instructions Dark Uprising identikit GW Necromunda board” posts that are currently plaguing most FB modelling groups?

The whole point of a Necromunda board is making it from stuff that’s not Necromunda stuff. MEH!
But I love my classic bulkheads!!

There is an awful lot of DU plastic ZM out there at the moment - it seems to have replaced photos of various MDF versions mostly. It’s nice stuff (don’t own any) as is much of GW’s output it’s just so fearsomely priced, I wonder due to limited availability and that whether a lot have just decided to assemble rather than convert as getting replacement parts now means buying DU again or risking eBay scalpers??
Nowadays its all "look at my out of the box Enforcers I painted in the colour scheme on the box"
Really? All I ever see since I started looking on Facebook are Judge Dreadd inspired paintjobs and headswaps.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The thing I find odd about FB groups is the number of “I want to build Gang X: Show me yours for inspiration.” If you need inspiration, why are you building this gang in the first place?
I also find this irritating, though I understand it. I'm always looking - here and elsewhere - for inspiration. And I understand that FB is not an ideal platform for that. But I don't know why someone can't simply use an image search. There are loads of forums and blogs out there with tons of inspirational examples.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
You're seen as some kind of weird leper if you play the original game.
I love the original game it was my favourite GW game ever!!! Still is in many ways.

We “broke away” from the strict six houses after a while and crafted our own gangs and because of the mechanics - they work the same as any other. You can’t do that with neomunda!!
Preach it my NCE brother!
"Your Escher use crap old models and their loadout doesn't work in the game."
"Their loadout is fine for "the game" - just not the version you play."
🤨

Goliaths... maybe. Escher???? ESCHER!!!!!! They’re the only gang in the new game that has the exact same weapons selection as the originals!

You only might get funny if you look at leaders and champs. Even then the metal box came with a heavy Stubber and the leader has a bolt gun, you only need to coil a whip up and shes practically the same as the new one. Plus they look pretty similar still.

I hope you educated them in the ways of the ORB. By slapping them to the floor with the big hazard striped compendium.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
@Ben_S that’s what I mean. If I’m looking for inspiration (usually I just wanna see cool terrain) I’ll google it and happily scroll through pages of cool stuff. I just did it for the World Eaters I’m currently working on. I wanted them to look like corrupted loyalist so I googled “Loyal World Eaters Colors” (snd some variations) to get some ideas.

Reactions: Tiny

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
@Ben_S that’s what I mean. If I’m looking for inspiration (usually I just wanna see cool terrain) I’ll google it and happily scroll through pages of cool stuff. I just did it for the World Eaters I’m currently working on. I wanted them to look like corrupted loyalist so I googled “Loyal World Eaters Colors” (snd some variations) to get some ideas.

Why would you waste your precious time and effort searching for something when you could just log onto instabook and ask people to do the search for you?

Google is too much effort for some people these days.

Reactions: irlZombie and Tiny
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
What madness. Anything else I have to say when I see that "Necromunda Zone Mortalis Hive Warzone" is no longer available online at GW after a very short time, would be too unusual and too impolite.

P.S .: Now I'm curious whether the pre-order via my local shop will be delivered as usual.