Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Na, it doesn't make sense. :D
Many others and I tried to find that sense, it's just not there.
It's either to make it seem less "numbery" for new players who cannot yet understand this is actually more convoluted than it needs to be.
Or, during the development process, there was a stage when it actually made sense. But then the game evolved away from that state, and the icons were not re-evaluated.
But: That is a cosmetic gripe, not a barndoor-sized hole in the core mechanics. I seriously consider this a win.

Guydob

Ganger
Nov 19, 2018
Russia
When they first announced the geometric shapes, I initially expected that the models would only be allowed to move in straight lines up to *shape distance*, kind of how it's done for Cavalry in Saga. Like If a Space Marine had a movement of 2 *Squares*, and an Eldar Banshee had 3 *Circles, both would be allowed to move 6" in total, but the latter would be more maneuverable. But nah, it's no different from just using actual inches.

Reactions: NoOneII.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Huh? 3x2" allows you to move 3 times, each time with 2" straight movement. Or did I get it wrong?
You can move straight in 1'' increments.
Or more correctly: if you move less than 1'' straight, that counts as 1''.
Probably in place to avoid the complications of measuring curves.
In friendly game, that's not relevant, with tournaments etc. I think it's a good solution.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
It became relevant in frinedly games...

So a fighter with Movement 3x2" can basically make 6x1" moves, and each 1" move can then be at any angle?

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Ben Johnson, who won first place, actually had a hand in writing the rules that are now allowing him to win tournaments.

Why didn't I think of that?

You are... not wrong: "Ben Johnson, Age of Sigmar Senior Product Developer for the Warhammer Design Studio". Genius :LOL:

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
To be fair (and again risking my passcode for the sump-entrance), I believe that guy became Designer because he was very successful and involved in Tournaments, not the other way round.
(But as AoS/40k as games and tournaments as tournaments do not interest me very much, I might mix things up here.)

Scavvierising

Reigning ThunderCube Champion
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
They've been playtesting with top tournament players since the development of 8th 40k. So probably 5 years. Bound to end up recruiting one by this point.
Of course if they still have an absurd amount of power creep at times. We now know it's intentional and not some developer getting carried away with some cool ideas.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Hero
Mar 6, 2018
Did I understand correctly, the GW AoS rule designer as an official AoS tournament winner?

I'm not sure what to make of it, but I think it would have an aftertaste to me. Especially if you had to pay a fee to attend the event.

It is certainly good for a rule designer to be able to test the rules he has written himself under realistic conditions, but as a professional and a writer he should only be allowed to take part in official AoS tournaments outside of competition. Or if he really wants to compare himself to other players, play something different. I also noticed that the tournament winner's units are currently all out of stock. - So this will probably not be a coincidence?

Last edited:

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
To be fair (and again risking my passcode for the sump-entrance), I believe that guy became Designer because he was very successful and involved in Tournaments, not the other way round.
They've been playtesting with top tournament players since the development of 8th 40k. So probably 5 years. Bound to end up recruiting one by this point.
It's still sad though. It's been the direction since 3rd and it's only gotten worse over time. Games won and lost during list building, gotcha mechanics and power creep based on whatever they are trying to sell more of at any given time.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Did they recruit a tournament winner as game designer (good move), or did they let a game designer play at a tournament and win it? (bad move — though kinda depends if some prize/money was on the line)

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Did they recruit a tournament winner as game designer (good move), or did they let a game designer play at a tournament and win it? (bad move — though kinda depends if some prize/money was on the line)

Both. They recruited a tournament winner to tweak the rules. He then went on to win more tournaments and his faction (Stormcast) are top of the rankings by a country mile.

He should have given up competing in tournaments when he became part of the team.

Last edited:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I have nothing against GW employees in general playing in GW affiliated tournaments, but when a rules writer takes part who has just updated the rules for his pet faction, in the knowledge he's about to enter a tournament competing as his pet faction... eeeeeehhhhhh... the waters get a bit muddy.

Pierric

Gang Champion
Jan 22, 2020
Berry, France
Me, a cheater ?

How dare you ?

ben-johnson-photo-afp-1582273451.jpg

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I’m going to go on record here to say I am glad they have hired an actual competitive gamer who wins tournaments to help write and tweak rules. Hopefully it means they can foresee a few more balance issues BEFORE they make it into the released codex.

As for him taking part in a competitive tournament I also don’t have any issue with it. He’s got to play somewhere if he is a competitive player and if he’s not playing in tournaments then he isn’t going to be adding the all important “tournament player” view to the rules and may as well not be involved in writing the rules.