Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

Trafalgar Law

Gang Hero
Mar 14, 2017
Chorley, Lancashire, UK
The planes may be rather ridiculous, but then so too is having artillery units like a Basilisk shooting something about a foot away.
That is something that does at least occasionally happen in war, such as at Arras where the British Matilda 1 and 2 tanks were stopped by artillery and anti aircraft guns at point blank ranges.

I believe the British 25pdr was employed in thd direct fire anti tank role as well during the early part of ww2.

Reactions: Stoof and Tiny

Scavvierising

Reigning ThunderCube Champion
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
When forgeworld first introduced flyers in 3rd. Pretty sure they would come on in reserve and perform attack runs before flying off the opposite board edge and requiring another reserve roll to come back on.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
There were rules for fliers early on (RT? 2nd?) because I remember something about flight levels…. And I built something like a vtol/helicopter /attack hovering type vehicle out of scale Apache helicopter models…. They were for my first ever chapter of marines, so it was definitely late 80s/early 90s.

Reactions: cronevald

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
There were rules for fliers early on (RT? 2nd?) because I remember something about flight levels…. And I built something like a vtol/helicopter /attack hovering type vehicle out of scale Apache helicopter models…. They were for my first ever chapter of marines, so it was definitely late 80s/early 90s.
Skimmers used to be able to perform pop up attacks.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
People have been experimenting with “big stuff” since Rogue Trader true - I definitely remember Ornithopters ans Scout Titans made from Star Wars toys and Zoids.

Thing is they were always one-off random modelling projects and most likely were used briefly. Or for some special event.

Now though the stuff has become pretty much just another 40k unit choice. It’s just the scale that’s a bit silly though. At Epic’s 6mm most works fairly well but at the 28-32mm range you’d need to be at Sports field size tables to have this stuff look appropriate.

Last time I saw a titan game at Warhammer World the thing could only move to a few places on the table as it’s base was so big it wouldn’t fit round the moulded on scenery.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Hero
Mar 6, 2018
For most players it should be obvious that a lot is abstract or unrealistic in order to represent something and thereby sell something. So realism should be something that the WH40, with its narrow gaps and masses of units in a space that is visible too small, can hardly shine. But apparently it shouldn't, because GW says that WH40k is just only satire. - Satire?

Interesting opinion, because I haven't looked at it that way before. Of course this is all made up and exaggerated, but so far I thought they were strategy games in an apocalyptic fantasy world. Now I ask myself, is WH40k and the universe just like the board game "Man, Don't Get Angry", or is it more a visualized form of games like "Risk" or "Stratego"?

I dont know. - To really measure and compare myself, I would play chess. Otherwise, as a tabletop, I like Necromunda, mainly because it stimulates my fantasy and, like in a video game, I can immerse myself in another world and tell and experience an imaginative story. And having a good time.

Whereby it looks like GW is struggling again with completely different problems:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Does anyone know if something kicked off at one of their events or something? It seems like a specific targeted statement but they don't refer to what may have instigated it.

Or they're shouting at clouds again.

Reactions: Willnox and Tiny

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk

Jayward

Gang Champion
Aug 4, 2020
I haven't been following too closely, but as I understand it there was a guy wearing nazi symbols going by the name of 'Austrian Painter' at a Spanish 40k tournament. Obviously not a great thing in and of itself, but the lack of response from the TOs, sponsors, and GW compounded the problem.

EDIT: The event was GT Talavera

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I feel like a statement to the effect of "Do not wear Nazi shit to our events" would be better than this kind of WarCom vaguebooking.

My thoughts exactly. Instead of just saying "there was an incident of some douche wearing Nazi iconography at our tournament. This shit isn't ok", they instead turned it into another vague "you will not be missed" that people will inevitably weaponise anyone whose opinions they disagree.

Reactions: Stoof and Mr. M

BearsWillEatYou

Gang Champion
Apr 10, 2018
Reading
Eh. At least this particular statement is less vague than the last one was.
They outright say: "If you come to a Games Workshop event or store and behave to the contrary, including wearing the symbols of real-world hate groups, you will be asked to leave."

I wish they'd put it that clearly before now.

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
On another subject... Why the hell does taking a single Knight break doctrines (or Acts of Faith in my case). Do they not want people buying these centerpiece models for their armies?

Here's hoping that the new Knight book has a strat or something that fixes that.

Reactions: Tiny and Pagumb

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Sep 10, 2020
On another subject... Why the hell does taking a single Knight break doctrines (or Acts of Faith in my case). Do they not want people buying these centerpiece models for their armies?

Here's hoping that the new Knight book has a strat or something that fixes that.
I've never played much over the years but I've always liked the narrative side of games to allow for those kinds of circumstances, especially when your opponent has them or even just to be able to model your freeblade knight who has pledged themselves to recover the SOB relic or whatever you've got going on in your games.

Reactions: Willnox

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia

Doctrines were specifically added to encourage people to take mono build armies and discourage “soup” armies in competitive tournament gaming.

What they found was that the top ten lists of nearly every tournament in 8th Ed were made up of at least two or three different allied factions that picked the best bits from each army and mashed them together. Often it would be space marines, a knight, and the smallest possible battalion of imperial guard you could take to boost CP.

So what they did was made the combat doctrines which sit on top of the existing rules which brought mono faction builds up the the level of soup armies.

What it now means is that you need to consider if taking an ally to fill a hole in your army list is actually worth giving up your mono build advantages.

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Well that's all well and good, but are mono-faction Knight armies really supposed to be the only way to use them? (Well, or AdMech which even get to use Canticles on them via a strat)

As is I can take something weird like an Ambull just fine but can't take a single Freeblade without hamstringing my army.

Reactions: Tiny