Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Given how much adding a knight to most imperium factions without any downside would boost them up I think it’s pretty reasonable that adding one into your army removes the benefit of taking a “pure” faction.

I can see the argument for having them not remove an armies faction specific traits in a similar way to other non affiliated troops (like preachers and imperial navy troops), but for the most part I don’t think it’s too much of a price to pay.

I should lay my cards on the table here though as I don’t actually like knights being in 40k at all, so I don’t really mind people getting punished for taking them.

I put knights in the same basket as flyers, super heavy tanks and named special characters in that I think the game would be significantly better off without them being in it.

Pagumb

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Roboute: "Baddie? Is that you?"

Abaddon: "Bob? What are you doing raiding a minor supply depot two systems over from the main battlefront?"

R: "Striking a critical blow against your supply chain. Success today will set back you pickled vegetable production which will trigger a lag in morale of your heretical ground forces in 14-18 months which my army will exploit. It's why I brought this...(muffled stomping)"

A: "A knight wearing large shoes?"

R: "They call them sneakers..."

A: "Pitiful. I anticipated your move eons ago which is why I brought two knights (louder stomping)."

R: "Oh really! Just look at us! You know you could raid the hidden Sisters Sanctuary 99 in the next valley over instead...my force arrives just in time to save the day..."

A: "Capital idea. How many knights will they have?"

R: "Oh you're gonna love this..."

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I have to ask - how do these master painters on Instagram post up a finished mini (or a whole new squad) PER DAY?
It takes me 8 hours to paint a reasonably nice model. But I have a job to go to.
Do these guys just not work?
I'd guess that sometimes completion of work does not always correspond with posting of work. Some people are both very good and very fast, but I expect there are others who plan out their posts.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I have to ask - how do these master painters on Instagram post up a finished mini (or a whole new squad) PER DAY?
It takes me 8 hours to paint a reasonably nice model. But I have a job to go to.

For starters pianist models may be a source of income for them (usually commission painters for others) or they may work in a hobby adjacent field so they have more time to actually sit down and paint.

On top of that the many hours they have spent painting has probably improved their speed and skill with their tools so they just paint faster.

They will have also picked up a few techniques and processes that allow for faster painting methods. They could be batch painting squads so they can pump them out quickly or they could have become exceptionally skilled with an airbrush.

It’s also worth noting that most “goof” painters will have picked up on the fact that if you paint a minis face well, do a basic “scenic” base, and an average paint job then the mini will look great to most people.

On top of all of that they also manage the release of their photos so they always have something to put up each day. The reality is that they probably have quite a large number of miniatures already painted and photographed and set up in their chosen social media to release each day at a certain time so that you, the viewer, will open their page every day.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't know so much about Instagram, but some of the YouTubers are professional/full-time hobby content creators, so they don't have another job to worry about.

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I know some people who work in other fields who craft hand made goods. They cheat and pay some lackey a pittance to start the job up to a point. Then they take over and do the fancy stuff.
I would assume some commission painting studios etc have an intern/apprentice/slave doing nothing but base coating for everybody else.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
So... Book of the Outcast eh...

Looks like we won't get a free, regularly updated online trading post then. Can't say I'm surprised.

Venator 3.0, reprinted wyrd powers, reprinted hanger-ons, reprinted trading post, yet another variant of the same campaign, bunch of scenarios and forgettable special characters... meh.
I wonder whether we'll get a new version of Enforcers and cult gangs for N21 before the cycle begins anew. It does look like it's coming to an end as it puts the final nail in GotU's coffin. Will a new box set / rulebook be announced soon?

Not really excited by the 'make your own leader from whatever' rule. It's pretty obvious that this will be widely unbalanced and abusable out of the box, so it's nothing but yet another official licence to house-rule the game (aka "wouldn't it be cool if there were rules for <whatever we can't be bothered to actually write balanced and play-tested rules for>?")

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
I know some people who work in other fields who craft hand made goods. They cheat and pay some lackey a pittance to start the job up to a point. Then they take over and do the fancy stuff.
I would assume some commission painting studios etc have an intern/apprentice/slave doing nothing but base coating for everybody else.
That, to be honest, has been true for several hundred years, if not longer.
Many paintings by "famous renaissance painter X" are actrually paintings "from famous renaissance painter's workshop", with 90% of the image done by students/employees, and the master literally only filling in the face of the main protagonist of the piece.

(The 90% is a guesstimate on the surface are of the piece, tho. When looking at "total time spent with the painting", the quota gets a bit more even, as more time goes into the perfect face than into the shoes, which deliberately are less detailed.

Reactions: MusingWarboss

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
That, to be honest, has been true for several hundred years, if not longer.
Many paintings by "famous renaissance painter X" are actrually paintings "from famous renaissance painter's workshop", with 90% of the image done by students/employees, and the master literally only filling in the face of the main protagonist of the piece.
Damn, I demand a refund!

Troubled Child

Gang Champion
Jan 2, 2018
UK
Yeah if I remember correctly the apprentices sticking diamonds on a skull for what's-his-face were being paid less than minimum wage. Artistic endeavours are full of people who expect you to do all the work for no money simply to prove your commitment to field.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
So... Book of the Outcast eh...
All good observations. I’ve been expecting a new Rulebook for ages now! I should just buy the current one which should guarantee a newer edition releases soon after!! 😂

I think N18 ison its way out. The House books pretty much signalled that.

There was a weird mention of the PDF when this book was announced. Dunno what that means if anything. I fully expected a TP in here - it introduces a marketplace miniature set!!

Yeah if I remember correctly the apprentices sticking diamonds on a skull for what's-his-face were being paid less than minimum wage. Artistic endeavours are full of people who expect you to do all the work for no money simply to prove your commitment to field.
Was it Damien Hirst?? That breed of Artist are more concept creators than actual practitioners.

If it is him he also “created”* formaldehyde shark/sheep/cow, a huge statue of a Medical body reference, a huge marble statue of another artist and a room full of old medicine boxes and pencils.

*other people did the work.

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
And I thought the new GW stuff is too expensive! :D
It's claimed to be an extremely rare unpublished John Blanche Confrontation Mini.
For just about 600 Oldworld-Dollars it can be yours! XD
1637602897334.png