Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Your crew can't dismount from their vehicle but they need 3 different rules for re-starting the thing.

*Vehicle stalls out*
"Hang on boss, I'll just jump out and crank the starter handle!"
"You can't."
"I'll hop out and push start then!"
"...you can't."
"What do you mean I can't, look, I'll just..." *rending interdimensional scream, rider pops out of existence*
"Poor guy. We lose about six a year like that."

Pagumb

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
If I wanted vehicle rules in Necromunda, I'd adjust most of gorkamorka to fit.
Good to know. As a non-player I will keep my eye out for a set of Gorka Morka rules In case I ever make the transition to player. I’ll probably get to that sometime after I get to Warhammer World to get my reprint copy of the Rogue Trader rule book.

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Tactics in the Ash Wastes box/book are complete fillers. Loads of situational stuff like if you head-on collide with an enemy vehicle (only one gang in the game so far got vehicles). Balance is non-existing as usual and wording is awkward. For example:
  • One with the Road: Play when a friendly vehicle needs to make a Loss of Control test, before any dice are rolled. Automatically pass the test.
  • Look Out Below!: Play when a friendly fighter jump from one vehicle to another. +1 to the Agility test to make the jump.
  • Mag Lock Handholds: Play at the start of the battle, before the first roll for Initiative. Select 2 friendly fighters to automatically pass all Initiative checks to remain on a vehicle when it moves.
When a tactics specify "before any dice are rolled", does that imply that other cards that doesn't specify this can be used after the roll?
Haven't seen the term "Agility test" before, should it be Initiative check/test?
"Before the first roll for Initiative", this should be Priority roll.

Nothing new in regards to tactics, these would be serviceable as random bonuses ranging from situational to strong. If vehicles are included that is.

Also shamelessly renaming existing cards, like "Always Carry a Spare", same as "Lucky Find" (spend an action to automatically reload a weapon). I guess this can be justified by several reasons:
  • The old card doesn't exist in this game setting (playing straight out of the Ash Waste box or only using that specific Tactics table).
  • The new card uses updated wording to apply to "model" instead of "fighter".

Both are pretty weak reasons in my opinion to add more and more cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Is anyone else reading the rules previews for the Horus Heresy game and thinking that it was drafted by some sort of machine lawyer?

THE BEST DEFENCE - IMPERIAL FISTS
ADVANCED REACTION
This Advanced Reaction may be made once per battle, during the opposing player's Movement phase when any enemy unit ends a Move within 10" and within line of sight of any model with the Legions Astartes (Imperial Fists) special rule in a unit under the Reactive player's control, with that unit making the Reaction.
The Reactive player may declare a Charge for the Reacting unit against the enemy unit which triggered this Reaction once that enemy unit has completed its move, and as if it were the
controlling player's Assault phase, with a Charge Distance in inches equal to D6 plus the lowest unmodified Initiative Characteristic of any model in the Reacting Unit and any Charge
modifiers the unit has.
If the Charge is successful, the units are locked in combat and fight in the Assault phase as normal, with the Charging unit benefiting from any Charge bonuses, Hammer of Wrath (X), etc. If the Charge fails, no Surge move is made.

They really seem to like the word react…

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Using this type of wording everywhere could shut down a few potential loopholes. BUT there's always going to be loopholes.

Reactions: Mr. M

Wasteland

Gang Champion
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
Is anyone else reading the rules previews for the Horus Heresy game and thinking that it was drafted by some sort of machine lawyer?

ADVANCED REACTION
This Advanced Reaction may be made once per battle, during the opposing player's Movement phase when any enemy unit ends a Move within 10" and within line of sight of any model with the Legions Astartes (Imperial Fists) special rule in a unit under the Reactive player's control, with that unit making the Reaction.
The Reactive player may declare a Charge for the Reacting unit against the enemy unit which triggered this Reaction once that enemy unit has completed its move, and as if it were the
controlling player's Assault phase, with a Charge Distance in inches equal to D6 plus the lowest unmodified Initiative Characteristic of any model in the Reacting Unit and any Charge
modifiers the unit has.
If the Charge is successful, the units are locked in combat and fight in the Assault phase as normal, with the Charging unit benefiting from any Charge bonuses, Hammer of Wrath (X), etc. If the Charge fails, no Surge move is made.

I am not familiar with English "Legalese" although for a non-native English speaker like me it is quite shocking to see such convoluted, long sentences which would be more appropriate for German writing.

Mr. M

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 1, 2019
San Jose, CA
"For examples of Reactive Reaction reactions by Reactive players who are reacting to Reactive Reactions, refer to Exhibit 23-B. Additional definitions for "Reaction" can be found in Schedule 97. Subject to certain limitations and with no express or implied warranties, please enjoy your hobby."

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
I'm not even sure you can do a burnout on sand/ash/any loose surface. Kick up lots of dust I guess?
Actually, loose ground makes it easier to turn the tire without moving the vehicle. When standing you'll probably just dig in and get stuck, but donuts and skiddy turns and all that... Oh yeah.
So far my lightweight experience with my sidecar-ed motorbike on gravel in an old stone quarry tells me, at least. :D

Reactions: Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I was more thinking an actual "burnout" where you heat the tyres so much they smoke. That'll just bury you up to your axles on anything other than a smooth, hard surface.

Reactions: NoOneII.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Yeah, that's probably challenging on loose ground. :D
Unless, ofc. it's the scorching hot ashwastes and the only reason your tires don't burn up anyways is because they're rotating and therefore ventilating and spreading the heat over the whole circumference. As soon as you stop, meltdown ensues.

enyoss

Gang Hero
Jul 19, 2015
SL

ADVANCED REACTION
modifiers the unit has.

:D

The Ninth Age rules are like this. It’s a hell of an achievement as a rules set, but the gamer legalese makes it hard to persevere with

Reactions: MedMos and Tiny