Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

MedMos

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
:D

The Ninth Age rules are like this. It’s a hell of an achievement as a rules set, but the gamer legalese makes it hard to persevere with
I tried the first attempt, and had a few nice games of 9th age. Never got to grips with the newer renditions. It might be suffering from being balanced from a team tournament perspective, but admittedly I didn't research it enough to make a final verdict.

Wasteland

Gang Champion
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
I tried the first attempt, and had a few nice games of 9th age. Never got to grips with the newer renditions. It might be suffering from being balanced from a team tournament perspective, but admittedly I didn't research it enough to make a final verdict.
I play the first installment of 9th Age. It´s a great game and very professionally written.

Reactions: MedMos

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
After translating our homebrew rules into russian and then back to english I have to say that writing adequate rules while keeping it short is an art. Hats off to game designers like Mike Hutchinson who can manage it. IMHO, trying to cover loopholes should be done in FAQ or author notes, not in the actual rules. And in general, as Toppsy has said, there will always be loopholes, so as long as the core rules do not have blatant weakness points, you should be good. Better keeping it short and concise than overexplained.

Last edited:

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
and wording is awkward
I only had time to glance at a few cards when a box was being opened at a meetup a couple of weeks back. I noticed a few awkwardly written sentences, occasionally running between what looked like a description and some rule. Can't remember the specific one now but it was a 'road' card I think and something to do with a crater and being difficult to get out... maybe? It wasn't particularly memorable.

Whilst we can all have awkward grammar at times, I expect more from a big professional company. Though at the same time I can't help but feel that Tactics Cards and the like are seen as a disposable asset so maybe they don't care if there's an issue, as it'll presumably be only one print run for them?

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
That list of about 18 cards in the back of the house books... I reckon that’s what they think people play with. I suspect they assume you’ve just got a “deck” which consists of the cards in a pack and some (or only the ones) from a box set.

Not the monster, unwieldy collections many have amassed.

I mean, you literally can’t even buy most of them anymore and the only “rules” are ‘use what you have, no duplicates’.

I like the idea of thematic wildcard events but this implementation of FOMO OOP decks is just exploitative.

A “community chest” style universal deck that players dip into in certain circumstances through the game would’ve been better. Then it could conceivably be huge.

Ah well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Spenetrator

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham

Hmmmm I’m Sumpy about this!!! Just another teaser trailer with no firm details?? what utter wasters those Tribemeet UK committee members are!! we’ve waited ages for confirmation about the next event!! IM ANGRY I TELL YOU!

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
Grandma's jewelry box with extra bits glued on, and on stilts. That's the Ash Wastes buildings for me. I want to like them, I do like the concept and the engineering, the way they fit together and can be mixed with the earlier terrain designs. The final execution though just feels a bit nondescript and lacking in character. I guess I just wish they would have pushed it farther before calling it done.

Reactions: Tiny

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored, Non-washer of Minis
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, someone in one of the FB groups posted a series of pics from the terrain’s created Owen Somethingorother. It’s impressive all the different ways the platforms, stilts, buildings, etc fit with the other terrain systems (SM, ZM). I still won’t be buying any, but it was still cool to see.

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Yeah, someone in one of the FB groups posted a series of pics from the terrain’s created Owen Somethingorother. It’s impressive all the different ways the platforms, stilts, buildings, etc fit with the other terrain systems (SM, ZM). I still won’t be buying any, but it was still cool to see.
Owen Patten - designer of it and the ZM terrain. Unfortunately he took down his ash wastes tips, but not his ZM ones (so he isn't forbidden) - maybe there was a mistake.

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Kinda Sumpy and Kinda What's on your mind... bear with me here.

Is there an agency to file a complaint to in the UK similar to the Better Business Bureau in the US?

THE CONTEXT:
Purchased some mini's from GW's webstore in February. Still do not have them. They attempted to ship a few times but the shipping service they are now contracted seems to be the issue.
This was an everything in stock. I was excited about diving into Fall of the Necromancer. Bought the book, and the 'exclusive' GW website minis etc.
Now a whole new book is out, the models minis are out of stock in most regions now.

FOLLOW UP:
It was paypal and I'm afraid the time has passed and I will have little recourse in the matter.
GW customer service was working with me and they promised to ship it out on May 12 but have since gone silent, provided no tracking number or updates.
Customer Service Office hours are extremely reduced at the moment for some reason.

SUMPY CONCLUSION:
Obviously I will give them another week to respond
however - this is another barrier for me in this 'hobby'. I've had wonderful customer support experience in the past however there seems to be some changes where GW can no longer reliably ship products.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Yea, Trading Standards Authority is the UK equivalent. Paypal however will probably decide in your favour and refund you - GW, for all their shortcoming, are unlikely to lie and claim they've shipped something they haven't. And I've had a paypal claim succeed after six months of a seller stringing me along, so there shouldn't be a time issue.

As for stock, when you bought it that should have reserved it at the time and prevented it being re-sold. So your order will hopefully still exist. Probably even packed and ready in a corner somewhere.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
If a product can't be sold over a longer time-period, so be it! I got some limited/collector minis in the past, that glory faded over the years. New and better stuff is released frequently, chances are that some common products today will have better design than rare minis from the past.

Reactions: Mr. M

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Thanks everyone. These are MESBG Metal Models. They are already "re-released"
Good to know about my options especially with Paypal. I have another month.
Really wanted to minis and as MESBG is not sold in GW stores everything online... I don't see much of a future for me in it unfortunately.