Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Dammit, you're right @Punktaku! I stand corrected.
Are they crazy at Geedubs, ripping off original space marine designs left and right from other respectable companies like that? Let's hope for them they are ready for all those impending law suits :p

• Haha
Reactions: Punktaku

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
IP infringement is not really a concern. There's only so many ways you can do armoured space soldiers. Which lets be fair GW has been doing for 35 years. The only two real distinctive common aspects are dome helmet and oversized Pauldrons. Bubble helmets are core to many space suits in real life and sci-fi. You might as well claim it's a rip off of Buzz lightyear. Stupidly large Pauldrons frankly have been GW signature since 80s. And these differ between rounded and blocky. Both look ridiculous and serve no purpose, save to make a bigger target. And aid severing of limbs. Actual Pauldrons protect the shoulder joint these particularly the StarCraft one looks like it would direct many a blow to the joint.

Basically everyone is ripping everyone else, and it's only logos and IP 'names' hence GW stupidnamesTM tendancies that will actually come under IP these days.

Classic Terminator Chainfist setup. "Thou shalt not grabbeth anything thou haven't already stabbethed" - so sayeth the Emprah. And the Squats sentient iPad, apparently.
It's also just forms a kind of punch weapon like the Indian Katar. Being forearm mounted just means you lose wrist articulation which limits parrying and any fencing subtlety but let's face it - chunky power armour subtlety is pretty much not a thing.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Classic Terminator Chainfist setup. "Thou shalt not grabbeth anything thou haven't already stabbethed" - so sayeth the Emprah. And the Squats sentient iPad, apparently.
Funny I never questioned that. Terminators were the ultimate badass top of the food chain. Chainfists were above and beyond that.

Reactions: Space Truckin

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
Well that's ridiculous any feminity in the face is down to paintjob more than sculpt. And GW use of man in that article is clearly using the gender neutral use of man. Though I must admit I thought it could be female. However, they could equally be man boobs, third arm or a claw, though personally I'm seeing it as hiding a psychic conjoined twin....

I think I totally recall seeing that somewhere..
The proper gender neutral would be the archaic use of "they" and it's now making a comeback - maybe grammar from the 12th Century returns too? While femininity in the face could be indicated by a paintjob, certain sculpts have features that clearly identify them as male or female and then there's the build of the body, due to dimorphism.

Zugg Zugg

Gang Hero
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
Starcraft, like World of Warcraft, was supposed to be set in the Warhammer setting, but GW changed its mind.
Of which I am grateful. Starcraft and warcraft universes are great in part because of their storywriting. Sure, there's probably a parallel universe where GW said yes to blizzard and starcraft 40k was made with a fantastic storyline but the thing I like about the starcraft storyline is it was that the humans felt human. I never really feel like the humans in 40k are human. Just skin bags that look human.

Reactions: MedMos

Condottiero Magno

Gang Champion
Sep 11, 2019
Brighton, Massachusetts
Perhaps the massive success of starcraft is why GW now says yes to every computer game company that asks
Can't say much about 40k computer games, as I've never played any, but I did enjoy Shadow of the Horned Rat, not so much Dark Omens, as the characters acted like tools and the plot was boring, though I did like the improved game engine.

GW is more a media company nowadays instead of an hobby product manufacturer and I don't think Starcraft had anything to do with it.

Zugg Zugg

Gang Hero
Oct 4, 2019
Shimane
risingsun-es.com
Can't say much about 40k computer games, as I've never played any, but I did enjoy Shadow of the Horned Rat, not so much Dark Omens, as the characters acted like tools and the plot was boring, though I did like the improved game engine.

GW is more a media company nowadays instead of an hobby product manufacturer and I don't think Starcraft had anything to do with it.
I too played shadow of the horned rat. That game is why I started a skaven army... Or maybe I bought the game because I collected skaven

Last edited:

EAfirstlast

Ganger
Aug 31, 2017
Alexandria, VA, USA
I was trying to advise someone on Facebook that the collection of books they had was fine to just play some fun games of newcromunda. They had the underhive book, GW1-4, DU, GOTU and books of Peril and Judgement.

You can have some good fun games with that lot. He only wanted to play friendly with his mates and family.

Can you guess what most other commenters on Facebook were saying? Oh you can can’t you? Yeah, that. All of that.

“You need the hardback rulebook”
“You need Ash Wastes and the House books”
“Sell the Gang War books”
Etc.

I politely pointed out that buying the N18 hardback was pretty pointless as he already had the DU rulebook which is newer. He also Had the Dominion Campaign in GW4 and those books contain more than just gang rules and include some scenarios that have never been reprinted. He also has all the basic missions between underhive and GW1.

For friendly games, he just didn't need to buy any more, he just needed to get on playing. After all he had the rules for 8 gangs and 4 campaigns in that lot already.

I mean is anyone not just using necrodomus at this point?

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I mean is anyone not just using necrodomus at this point?
Loads of people. The game is played by many many people who never even visit here or have never heard of Necrodamus, Bookromunda or even the NCE!!

——

In other depressing news I’ve been reading Facebook again. Man do people get salty over nothing on there. Read a thread where the OP was getting miffed that there’d been a FAQ preventing them from Juve blocking CC fighters by charging in and doing nothing.

🙁🙄