Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware:grumpy grognards)

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I don't know what exactly you're referring to, but the new book includes a new campaign that is intended to be the first in a series of "linked" campaigns. When the next campaign is released, it will assumingly include some rules to take existing gangs from succession campaign into the new next campaign.

breegull

Juve
Mar 29, 2022
GW brings necromunda into the current 40k timeline, encourages gangs to learn how to drive, AND pumps up gangs' funding and recruitment? This is no mere coincidence!! At the end of all these linked campaigns, each gang will have enough gangers, tanks, and weaponry to be conscripted as its own Astra Militarum force, right as the new Guard codex drops. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!1!

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
TRIBEMEET Uk 2022! (NEWARK)

This weekend, play necromunda the way it should be, only 5 spaces left!

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I don't know what exactly you're referring to,
I’m speculating. Mostly about the wording in that advert, article.

From what I remember you can take parts of existing gangs into new campaigns but not the leader, pay full price for champs etc.

I fully expect that they’ll want gangs to move between these new books but this is book one - so the whole “instead of staring from the bottom” bit must imply they intend you to be able to import existing gangs or start a new one with boosted funds so you can keep up with the imported ones. Or something. I dunno.

Reactions: Malevolent Pink Cat

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Haven't read too closely, but didn't get that impression from the book at all. It sounds speculative, most likely "not start at the bottom" simply implies starting with 2400 credits for fresh gangs. Experienced players have played games with both low and high rating. This kickstart allows to jump straight into high-rating battles.

We've done similar things in Blood Bowl, borrowing the default tournament team creation rules back in the previous edition (about 4-5 years ago). It gave all players a kickstart, fresh teams gained some more gold coins and a handful of skills. Means that we didn't have to slough through the first games just to get to a point where things start to become interesting. Unfortunately we haven't found a way to do the same in current edition since it borrows the Primary/Secondary skill system from Necromunda, making it more complicated to just hand out some skills to all teams.

Reactions: Malevolent Pink Cat

Scavvierising

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
I would not be surprised in the least if the new Guard codex had rules for some kind of Auxiliary/Conscript options lending itself to Necromunda models.
I remember my steel legion PDF with its hive militia from codex Armageddon fondly. There was also a city fight guard list in white dwarf that also got to take them.
They've done it before. As long as they don't plan necro around 40k and simply give you the option of bringing some necro toys is fine.

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
With some of these posts it feels like the Sump has opened up the main vein to my biggest disappointment with new Necromunda. I get that that they want to let players use all the toys they've bought but I just don't find this approach to campaign progression enjoyable or interesting. For me the real challenge and fun of the original campaign was figuring out how to make what you did get work in game.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
GW brings necromunda into the current 40k timeline, encourages gangs to learn how to drive, AND pumps up gangs' funding and recruitment? This is no mere coincidence!! At the end of all these linked campaigns, each gang will have enough gangers, tanks, and weaponry to be conscripted as its own Astra Militarum force, right as the new Guard codex drops. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!1!

Bloody Far-Tzeentch conspiracy theorists. 🙄

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
SUMP AREA: my only fear with this approach is that whatever the outcome of the campaign is suppose to be (are they asking for submissions like previous 40k “story” campaigns? Or do you think they’ve pre-planned it?) it’s going to be used as justification to release YET MORE BOOKS which gives each house another Hardback of Destiny outlining how they play AFTER this campaign. Thus your current House books are obsolete. As they expect you to be playing only post-Cinderak games now.
This made me think. After a year or 2, the house gangs will have a random mix of unstructured rules for vehicles, mounts and/or crew spread across multiple books, pamphlets and whatnot. Prime opportunity for another "house of" round, now complete with vehicles AND mounts, all aligned with the same format!

Gangs tend to converge and align. N18 did it with GotU, all house gangs got the same format. Same with N20 and the House of books, all gangs got gang terrain, agents, 18 tactics table, favours, scenarios ++.

Now stuff is coming piecemeal and random, mostly dictated by plastic releases:
  • Orlock: Pamphlet in Ash Wastes box. More structured rules in Outlander. 2nd deck of 18 tactics, this time with vehicle theme. Crew share skills and equipment list with get-you-by generic/universal crew for all the other gangs that don't get to join the vehicle party. No gang-specific mounts (yet), possibly because wreckers have some overlap (in terms of increased movement at least).
  • Escher & Goliath: Structured rules in Succession book. Crew get gang specific skills and equipment lists. 2nd deck of 18 tactics (vehicle theme, although they got no gang-specific vehicles :p).

Reactions: cronevald

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I expect part of the reason there are three campaign books is so each will give new stuff for two house gangs. This seems to follow the existing pattern. As soon as whatever "complete" thing or series is released it is announced that work is already underway on the next big thing which renders the previous complete thing incomplete. They have a customer base that seems largely content to continue chasing the next big thing so it appears to be working for them. I guess time will tell how sustainable this is. For me one thing it has not done is produce an enjoyable game, but I accept that I'm in the minority opinion of the customer base.

Malevolent Pink Cat

Gang Champion
Jan 10, 2019
I have 4 of 6 gang books (plus judgement, peril, ruin), but I stopped at ash wastes as it didn't really impress me, and I'm not chucking £30 a go for 50 pages of fluff, a campaign for bloated gangs, and rules for two new vehicles, so... Not sure how much more it has in terms of legs.

I would totally buy a gang book for scavvies though.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
I have 4 of 6 gang books (plus judgement, peril, ruin), but I stopped at ash wastes as it didn't really impress me, and I'm not chucking £30 a go for 50 pages of fluff, a campaign for bloated gangs, and rules for two new vehicles, so... Not sure how much more it has in terms of legs.

I would totally buy a gang book for scavvies though.

Well I'll take 50 pages of fluff over the 40k core book... I think the rules start somewhere between pages 180 and 200. The Nephilim book with its more or less up to date rules selling out immediately was a travesty.

• Wow
Reactions: TopsyKretts

DamianK

Ganger
Nov 15, 2020
There are enough bar scenarios now to make a dedicated mini-campaign focused exclusively on bar fights:
  • Bar defence
  • The last round
  • Bar brawl
  • And for the finale: Big bar brawl!
Have a good weekend everyone 🍺🍻
Coming soon, a Forge World exclusive gang bar brawler champion for every house gang and new and exciting dramatis personae focused around bar fighting - including, but not limited to - the stirrer ( and his special rule "cannot be shaken") the mercator alcoholica delegation and many more.