Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware: old men shouting at clouds)

Just realised they've used completely the wrong image for MkV.

Mark IV was the original "chopped beaky"*. Well, apart from the very first chopped beaky which was a conversion in the RT rulebook (that's it, I've decided that original RTBs are MkIX 😁)

*Incidentally very very close in design to the Primaris helmet.

7880b3d437a36ab0e20ca413f94e8f00.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Raven Morpheus
why would they pick images of the different armours that show heavily modified versions, not what the version actually looks like normally
Because it’s a nothing-article designed to keep the site looking like it’s being updated while they’ve really got nothing new to say??

They do say: “here at Warhammer Community we’re more focused on fashion – so it’s time to take a look at some of the ways Space Marines decorate their armour.* Without further ado, let’s zhuzh it up.”
My interpretation of that is this is just an excuse for whacking up a few pictures and filler text.

So it’s clearly not intended to chronicle armour through the ages. More what crap can be stuck on armour... through the ages.

though I'm no expert on 40k lore/history.

That's alright, it doesn't look like GW's appointed "Loremasters" are either.

What makes this extra odd is that GW literally still sell a set called "Armour through the ages" which specifically shows which is which, so it's not like the work experience kid/unpaid intern/out of work ageing mail order troll* even had to do any actual digging to find out the types.

No I don't know why it annoys me so much, I sicken myself sometimes :ROFLMAO:

(*actually the mail order trolls were very knolegeable and wouldn't have made this mistake in the first place)

It also explains that one in the first footnote: "We’ll be skipping the Mk I Thunder armour – though stylishly retro, it was worn by few actual Space Marines."

I take it Mk 1 was worn by Thunder Warriors, though I'm no expert on 40k lore/history.

My understanding is that it was worn as a ceremonial armour during the earlier days of the Great Crusade, rather than actually in combat. I believe that was mentioned in one of the earlier HH Black Library books.
Remember that the Marines 'proper' were created to take the Emperor's expansion from the earth and into the Solar System and beyond. They were something that at once was similar but also different to the Thunder Warriors that they were replacing - designed for a different form of war, including void war and inhospitable environment, for which the Thunder Warriors armour wasn't particularly suited (I wouldn't ride a motorbike with an open-face helmet on, let alone go into space with one :)

Reactions: Willnox
I was under the impression the very first true Space Marines* were armoured in Thunder Armour as well, before "Space Marine" armour proper existed. Presumably because that's what was available when Emps was building the initial chapters before deciding to cull the Thunder Warriors. I don't know if that's right though.

(*who were not Thunder Warriors - they were an unstable bunch the Emperor wanted rid of once he'd used them to unify the nations of Terra)

Reactions: Pacific
designed for a different form of war, including void war and inhospitable environment, for which the Thunder Warriors armour wasn't particularly suited (I wouldn't ride a motorbike with an open-face helmet on, let alone go into space with one :)
Miniature based evidence suggests that 1 in 10 Space Marines don’t have a helmet at all! They didn’t even carry one around until the Primaris or you had a convenient small robed being to carry it for you.

Unless you’re a Space Wolf then the number rises from 10% to between 10-100% per squad are helmetless.

On Thunder Warrior/mk1 armour... For whatever reason GW don’t like to mention or reference it at all if possible. I’m surprised there’s one in that ATTA pack.

Speaking of armour the, armouring a space marine video... whoops, wrong link there, THIS defitiely completely GW original armouring a space marine video - (which incicentally I don't have a problem with... shocking I know) - raises a question. It appears Space Marines can't remove their own armour? Lots of screws in from behind etc. I've read loads of stuff where they can put on and remove their own kit without a horde of servants and AdMech around. I guess they at least acknowleged that with "It firmly counts as canon – be under no illusion, this is how the Emperor’s finest get ready for battle." (presumably the unwritten part of that sentence is "...except when it isn't").

Speaking of armour the, armouring a space marine video... whoops, wrong link there, THIS defitiely completely GW original armouring a space marine video - (which incicentally I don't have a problem with... shocking I know) - raises a question. It appears Space Marines can't remove their own armour? Lots of screws in from behind etc. I've read loads of stuff where they can put on and remove their own kit without a horde of servants and AdMech around. I guess they at least acknowleged that with "It firmly counts as canon – be under no illusion, this is how the Emperor’s finest get ready for battle." (presumably the unwritten part of that sentence is "...except when it isn't").

Numerous Black Library publications described both Marines needing...retainers, slaves/help donning there armor, also Space marines remove there amour by themselves in books as well. Everything is canon...not everything is true lol. Which I always took as an excuse for incoherent lazyness between authors that want to make the "setting" there own. I mean ADB (no desrespect to ADB of course, the Night Lords trilogy IMO is some of the best Space marine/Scouring lore we've gotten) managed to write that evidently Night Lords can just throw on Terminator armor...soooo

Last edited:
Was a bit disappointed after seeing the video, the 100s of marines I've assembled never had those under-armour shoulder studs that connects to the shoulder pads! Perhaps all I got was miscasts.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. M and Stoof
I hope they can at least manage their own helmets. Otherwise all those sergeants will need retainers with them on the battlefield.

O'kay, I had a hunch that bringing vehicles into Necromunda would require trimming down terrain, but this is just a planet bowling. How in the world are you supposed to reach melee on this? On the ground level there are no ways to hide yourself and people can be easily shot off from the catwalks.
including the new location, damage, and control dice for your vehicles
I'm also not happy that vehicles' rules require not one, not two, but three new types of special dice. We'll see if the core rules for them are any good, but after seeing the required number of new special dice I'm skeptical.
InqyXMkKm7k.jpg

O'kay, I had a hunch that bringing vehicles into Necromunda would require trimming down terrain, but this is just a planet bowling. How in the world are you supposed to reach melee on this? On the ground level there are no ways to hide yourself and people can be easily shot off from the catwalks.

I'm also not happy that vehicles' rules require not one, not two, but three new types of special dice. We'll see if the core rules for them are any good, but after seeing the required number of new special dice I'm skeptical.
View attachment 150425
My hot take on this (and I have no more information than the preview, just my feeling) that the playing area has been reduced, and rules changed to make the engagements more similar to killteam - Quick, deadly, short ranged combat. No hiding in cover for dozen of turns, just quick resolution in a few turns.

"Updated core rules" sounds like a whole new* can of maggot infested decaying corpse starch rations. Does it supercede The Rulebook? Are the changes in it true updates to the main rules which should flow back over previous versions, or are they only updates because Ash Wastes needs them and they don't apply elsewhere? The answer will, of course, be "ask your Arbitrator because working out der mess we've made sounds like finkin', and dey only payz us to make books an' shit, not reed 'em an' fink about wot we'z wroted."

(*I say "new" like it hasn't happened... uh... five times so far?)

Frankly expect box to contain a paper back copy like underhive/ DU / Hive war and then they'll be another hard back book of ash or book of engines (or both).

(Which will contradict boxset and original rules)
Not a grump (much) but an expectation based on form.

Frankly expect box to contain a paper back copy like underhive/ DU / Hive war and then they'll be another hard back book of ash or book of engines (or both).

I think the precedent here may be the recent Blood Bowl boxed games. If I remember correctly both Dungeon Bowl and the updated boxed game come with hardbacks. I'm hoping that also means the rulebook will be sold outside the box.

Reactions: spafe

Exactly this. Rules will cover only the new models in the box. There will be many more books covering rules for future models/vehicles. And yes, contradictions are guaranteed.