Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware: old men shouting at clouds)

Well, weirdly, I'd have been okay if they just released this for the arachni-rig back in the day... but now this is confusing from a rules/lore perspective - is this going to be a vehicle, or a brute?! If vehicle, why is the OG rig not one, If it's a brute, how come everyone else gets vehicles/mounts? There us no way they can make me happy with this from a consistency viewpoint... haha.

Is the tweak to the hoverboards a hint that they will become mounts? (This would make sense!)

Also liking the new VS Heads previewed in the thumbnail image for the warcom article, but not in the article - following the pattern of the other AW releases, I'd hope this is a decent set with packs and heads etc.

Is the tweak to the hoverboards a hint that they will become mounts? (This would make sense!)
It would be weird too since rules are consistently grouping mounts and vehicles together now intended for ash wastes only, but hoverboards were released before ash wastes so has been used exclusively for "underhive", the new term for zone mortalis (2d/2.5d) and sector mechanicus (3d).

Well, weirdly, I'd have been okay if they just released this for the arachni-rig back in the day... but now this is confusing from a rules/lore perspective - is this going to be a vehicle, or a brute?! If vehicle, why is the OG rig not one, If it's a brute, how come everyone else gets vehicles/mounts? There us no way they can make me happy with this from a consistency viewpoint... haha.
Anyone only wanting the brute would be better off buying this kit to use instead of FW resin. Too damn similar!

Reactions: Mr. M
How different are they to the FW arachni rig? I struggle to see the difference, but haven't bothered looking at details.
The top-half of these is very different; the top-arms attach at a different point, the carapace guns are in a different position, and the whole rear-engine-thingy is radically changed. The bottom-half looks reasonably similar though the FW has grabby-toes on the feet whereas these are flat-feet.

Loadout-wise these seem to have only 2 servo-arms, a flamer, and a harpoon launcher according to the wordage. However by the looks of it you can also choose rad gun or plasma gun.

How different are they to the FW arachni rig? I struggle to see the difference, but haven't bothered looking at details.
New one has jet engines. Old resin one doesn't. That seems to be it.

Van-Saar-Arachni-rig-1.jpg

Old

05tRnoPkMINLEXyA.jpg

New

They call these models arachni-rigs, but neither these new plastic kits nor the old resin resemble a spider to me. I get that GW needed to tread carefully not to infringe on Dr. Octopus and all that, but these things are just such a missed opportunity. Heck, even just doing some minor conversions to that Necron Hexmark Destroyer model (or not and just proxying it) would be more spider-like than the official arachni-rigs. They're not as awful as the Cawdor mechanical legs, but that's a very low bar. Other than that, these are some of the least inspired minis that GW has put out in a long while. Clunky and awkward-looking don't really fit with the fluff of technologically superior Van Saar, but that's what GW has given us.

I commented on the new models page but will say it stronger here. I greatly dislike the Van Saar aesthetic with both the original spider rig and these ones. Underhive gangs, even those fighting sanctioned proxy wars on behalf of noble houses, should not have better gear than the Imperial Guard.

GW seems to be having real problems maintaining a consistent artistic vision for its own IP of late, seems any "cool" idea gets to run these days without any sense check as to whether this fits in lore or with the wider design of the civilisation it's meant to come from.

I agree with Mr M in that when I first read the description for the Arachni-Rig I saw this as more a man sized servo-harness with gun attachments, not an anime knock-off mecha.

I commented on the new models page but will say it stronger here. I greatly dislike the Van Saar aesthetic with both the original spider rig and these ones. Underhive gangs, even those fighting sanctioned proxy wars on behalf of noble houses, should not have better gear than the Imperial Guard.

GW seems to be having real problems maintaining a consistent artistic vision for its own IP of late, seems any "cool" idea gets to run these days without any sense check as to whether this fits in lore or with the wider design of the civilisation it's meant to come from.

I agree with Mr M in that when I first read the description for the Arachni-Rig I saw this as more a man sized servo-harness with gun attachments, not an anime knock-off mecha.

Let's face it, everyone has better gear than the Imperial Guard these days. The Imperial Guard hasn't ever really represented what it's meant to be in the lore, and since 3rd edition 40k they have been steadily gutted by GW, nevermind their trumpeting over new Cadian figures and a new tank (complete with a hole in it's bottom)!

As someone who has played a few games of Oldcromunda (3rd edition softback rule book released just prior to the LRB), and has been on the outside looking in with regards to the new/current version it seems to me that Necromunda is much more fleshed out now than it was in Oldcromunda, or at least it has more stuff in it. Oldcromunda seems a lot more "bare bones" than the current version. And perhaps that's a good thing, or not?

I like the idea of the Escher cutters, jetbikes, why not, the Imperial Guard and Space Marines had them back in the Rogue Trader days. Not sure I like the other vehicles, bar the Orlock ATV thing. I've also never been keen on the new figures, although I do have plastic Van Saar and Cawdor gangs, but at least they can be used for Oldcromunda.

It does at times seem that GW are just making things for the sake of making things though, but you could aim that accusation at a lot of their range.

Last edited:
Let's face it, everyone has better gear than the Imperial Guard these days. The Imperial Guard hasn't ever really represented what it's meant to be in the lore, and since 3rd edition 40k they have been steadily gutted by GW, nevermind their trumpeting over new Cadian figures and a new tank (complete with a hole in it's bottom)!

As someone who has played a few games of Oldcromunda (3rd edition softback rule book released just prior to the LRB), and has been on the outside looking in with regards to the new/current version it seems to me that Necromunda is much more fleshed out now than it was in Oldcromunda, or at least it has more stuff in it. Oldcromunda seems a lot more "bare bones" than the current version. And perhaps that's a good thing, or not?

I like the idea of the Escher cutters, jetbikes, why not, the Imperial Guard and Space Marines had them back in the Rogue Trader days. Not sure I like the other vehicles, bar the Orlocks ATV thing. I've also never been keen on the new figures, although I do have plastic Van Saar and Cawdor gangs, but at least they can be used for Oldcromunda.

It does at times seem that GW are just making things for the sake of making things though, but you could aim that accusation at a lot of their range.
Maybe this is true of all GW's ranges now, but I feel like the current Necromunda is a product line first and the game aspect is only used to justify its existence. The products are many and certainly of high quality, but the game itself is an incoherent nightmare with its endless stream of contradictory and confusing rulebooks. I suspect 90s GW had a similar kind of view but knew how to stay on the other side of that line. Old Necromunda was a game that effort had been made to ensure that it was a solid playing experience, but it also had a lot of products that could be used to play that game. Maybe that's too subtle a distinction to really matter but it feels like a distinct shift to me.

GW did openly state they were a Miniatures company, not a Games company, some time ago - it's in the first few lines of their annual financial reports: "Our ambitions remain clear: to make the best fantasy miniatures in the world"

In fact, through the entire nine paragraphs of the company's strategic report, making actual GAMES isn't mentioned once. Plenty of "using our IP" and "our endless imaginary worlds" etc, but no mention whatsoever that people might actually use these miniatures for a game they make. The games are mere gateway drugs to get you buying Stuff™ and Things™. And you wonder why they don't seem to put much effort into them.

The report is available here should you want to have a read/get a bit depressed at how little they care if their rules are garbage so long as the minis are nice.

It must be quite demoralising at times to be a games designer there - they presumably *want* to make their games fun and engaging and well written. But they aren't worth a mention - just get the game out there so we can sell models for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M and Tiny
They call these models arachni-rigs, but neither these new plastic kits nor the old resin resemble a spider to me.
Because spiders walk along horizontally on their eight legs and these stand vertically on their two legs and have four mechanical arms and two weedy human ones which don’t do anything??

Do these things even spray a web from their rear ends??

🤣🤣

They really do look a bit like a crappy mechs suit nicked from an anime somewhere.

I don’t like the exposed human arms either, they look super vulnerable. It’s not like these are healthy pilots either. Given the amount of tech they have a basic Dreadnaught principle would’ve been better, like these guys are almost dead but they’ve used Servitor tech to plop them into a more substantial body.

• Haha
Reactions: cronevald and Mr. M
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: almic85 and Pagumb
Oh, wait till you fellow sump dwellers see the next apocrypha necromunda! 5K credit gangs! Actual armies! in a skirmish system!
I saw it. I’m also pretty sure this was a joke on the forum a few years back - that they’ve turned them into mini armies.

Still waiting for a Titan to appear in the rules.

• Wow
Reactions: Stoof and Mr. M
I gotta say, the apocrypha is lazy as hell. I can't even call it a rules addon, its a concept of one. So many rule holes here. The fact that RAW you still have to roll Firepower dice even though your weapons can't run OOA for example.
It pains me to say that applies to me and newcromunda too.
Maybe its time to stop sumpin` and have another attempt at fan rules remake?