Necromunda The Sump: General hobby venting thread (Beware: old men shouting at clouds)

Yes, I'm mid 40s, but I'm probably also a big part of the market for people with disposable income to actually buy their products.

No, didn't you see that painting phase video? They've done their market research. Its brand new customers in their teens and early 20s. They're the front of the hobby trombone and the ones with the high paying jobs and all the cash. Right? 🤨

Why in the name of zeus' butthole can't GW print rulebooks with actual contrast and text that doesn't need reading glasses?

Yes, I'm mid 40s, but I'm probably also a big part of the market for people with disposable income to actually buy their products.
You… read the books…?

I generally glance at the rules section and the rest gets ignored.

If only they did a cut-down rules only version for everyone who doesn’t need 2/3 of the book being fluff.

Considering they’re a “miniatures company” (that can’t produce enough miniatures) they probably shouldn't have bothered. A basic rules set would be enough.

The endless fluff is their choice. Original 90s Necromunda had fluff but it was kept to the minimum to establish a setting, after that you probably never needed to read it again.

Which I suspect is the case with the enormous amount of new fluff introduced to pad out the expensive hardback books. If you’ve read it, you’ve absorbed it and will probably never read much if any of it again. It’s hardly a novel.

A paperback rules only version would be sooooo much more convenient for play and transport.

(I dislike digital as it’s mostly just ebook versions which have all the flaws of being an electronic product but few of the advantages. Plus - I’m into miniature gaming because it is physical tactile product, else I’d play a computer game)

I've been waiting on a pack of the new Old World movement trays from Wayland for weeks now but they can't get stock. Apparently GW are letting all their indie suppliers down with their latest releases.
Why exactly are you after them? Genuine question, they’re only 2mm plastic with squares on and then some rims.

I’m pretty sure you could knock those up easily enough.

If someone was going to make more sizes of resin movement trays that have a similar rim profile to the official GW ones it'd be nice to have some official GW ones around.... :sneaky:

Which I suspect is the case with the enormous amount of new fluff introduced to pad out the expensive hardback books. If you’ve read it, you’ve absorbed it and will probably never read much if any of it again. It’s hardly a novel.
Even some of the novels are little more than product placement these days. The Dawn of Fire (?) books are pretty much just 'how awesome is this unit' from what I understand.

You… read the books…?

I generally glance at the rules section and the rest gets ignored.

If only they did a cut-down rules only version for everyone who doesn’t need 2/3 of the book being fluff.
I *tried* to read the books…

but was forced to give up.

The graphic design of these books are pretty bad.
I gave up on them after the Corpse Grnder playset.
But yeah exactly the same issues - I don't want anymore time with my face in a 'screen'.
Doesnt sound like the format has changed much, Low contrast text so forget about reading in low light conditions or at night. And let's add some techno baubbles behind to possibly throw off OCR.

The graphic design of these books are pretty bad.
I gave up on them after the Corpse Grnder playset.
I don't want to sound like an old man shouting at clouds....

But....

They would perhaps be better served by realising that they are making an instruction manual, not a peice of visual art. A couple of flow charts and worked examples wouldn't go wrong either.

It's enough to drive people to other, less legit sources of the rules which they can read.

Just a note on Star Wars Legion and the Fantasy Flight sale to whoever the new owners are. The Troll was quite a fan of Star Wars Armada even placed in a couple of offcial championships. Then they released half of the Clone War fleets which I eagerly bought aaaaAND then they just stopped…..I still feel the burn!

@Greyhart if you remember they transferred over just before they released the clone war fleets so they knew what was going to happen, but they happily took our money, not something I’ll forgive. Better to end it before when they had two fully fleshed out and fairly balanced fleets, not half way thorough a product cycle.