The Warlords

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
Post Battle Narrative
Game 8: The Hoard

They'd been mauled in the raid and forced to retreat.
The list of injuries paid testament to that fact with the worst being Ulysses, who would be laid low for some time.
Vic made his way round checking each man personally. When he reached Wash he took out a package and handed it to him.
'There's much we need but don't have the credits for, but this I thought would be useful as you're the best shot we have.'
'Thanks Guv,' Wash replied taking the package and opening it. Inside was a scope of good quality, at least by hive standards, that he knew would make him more deadly once he set it up.

Vic finished his rounds and signalled Humphrey to come in with a crate containing the local brew. They were passed round and once everyone had a bottle, Vic got their attention.
' The markets are a buzz of rumour and tales today.
'Much is being said of Janus and his victory being hollow. In fact, no one knows who won.
'We didn't get the loot and suffered many injuries, that much is true. But there are whispers that Janus and his crew suffered worse than we did.
He looked round, gauging his men and their reactions. Interest sparked in their eyes.
Now was the time to reveal what he'd heard.
'Men! If true, the most interesting news is that Diablo Nova have lost their most feared and infamous son.
'Reports are that Bloody Phorus is no more.'
He looked round for their responses. He was met by shock and awe.
Phorus. The man who wouldn't die! Couldn't die! Laid low.
It was unbelievable.

'I know that we're still recovering from the battle, but I'm going to ask a lot of you. Perhaps more than I should.' He paused and checked their reactions. 'I've decided to forgo our normal routine and hit Janus again! While he's still on the back foot' his voice rose with confidence and purpose.
Wash jumped up, 'Just lead us there Guv.' He was itching for a chance to have a crack at Janus.
Vic smiled proudly and stated, 'We're going to try and take Janus on his own turf! Chase him down and let him know that no where is truly safe for him and those that serve him!'
All those capable stood and cheered. This was the positive, decisive leader back to his old ways.
'All those able, get your rations and rearm. We're going for a walk into the Dragons den!'
Vic strode away to cheers. He was going to get his rifle for Lucifer, hoping the man would be good for the coming ambush he had planned.
He grinned to himself knowing this was quicker than he would normally act.
He knew that Janus wouldn't expect this so soon after the last, savage, engagement...

Sorry for the slower than normal update. I've had a lot going on and more still to come.
Anyhow, I've hit on the idea of another Ambush being the way to go as I think 'The Commissar' wouldn't expect it of the Whisper Men whilst they are still feeling the effects of the last engagement.

Hope this is cool with you @Stubram.
I'll let you know what dates I'm available for once things settle down and I know better myself.

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Awesome, good lad. Great write up.
I can't do 25th Aug, but should be ok other than that with enough notice.

Will now work on a prebattle ramble

Reactions: oddball300

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
NOTE - THIS IS NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE WARLORDS CAMPAIGN. SKIM PAST IF NOT RELEVANT.

As I mentioned, I’ve got a back story floating around in my head, and thought I’d expound on here. It will come in three chapters, though as @oddball300 wisely pointed out, having even one chapter of 10 - 30 pages on a thread would gum it up, so I decided to break each chapter down into digestable snippets much like Charles Dickens did, but with less Victorian poverty and more screaming shooty death skulls.

Back to your regular viewing (i.e. the proper pre-game stuff) soon.

LEGACY – Part 1

‘I expected something more’.

A man sat on the edge of his wooden-frame foldout bed, head lowered. The formal jacket, greatcoat and red sash of his office were hung over the back of a nearby chair. His field-dress trousers and boots were muddy from the day’s work, with braces unhooked and hanging loose, revealing a white undervest, soiled with sweat. Heavily muscled forearms rested upon his knees.

The one who had spoken paused at the threshold of the field tent, awaiting some kind of response. When he received none, he entered, and let the fold of material that constituted a door fall shut behind him, dulling the bustle of the camp outside. A pocket-lumens was perched on a small writing desk. It was the only thing to pierce the gloom, seeming to cast more shadow than light.

‘You know why I’m here’.

It wasn’t a question. The figure drifted closer, but stayed noticeably out of reach of the dishevelled man on the bed.

‘Commissar. Are you going to make this difficult?’

Finally, the man raised his head. His right cheek was a mass of puckered scar tissue, pulling his mouth tight in a perpetual scowl. Under a heavy brow, dark eyes glittered with malice. Generals had withered under that gaze, but the man before him was not so easily cowed. He had burned entire armies.

‘Acknowledgement at least. I’ll take that as a sign of progress. Next, I require you to hand over the artefact. Given your war-record, I am formally required to give you the opportunity to surrender it, though I am aware that you will refuse: its claws are in you too deep, the rot too foul, and so you will fight, and die - your name disgraced, your history expunged, your v..’

There was a displacement of air and a weighty ‘clang!’ as a baroque chainaxe landed at the feet of the figure. At last, the commissar spoke.

‘I’m sorry Inquisitor, did I interrupt you?’

Recovering quickly, the figure attempted to retake the initiative, though made no move to touch the axe.

‘I don’t know whether to be impressed or disappointed, commissar. It would have been interesting to see you in action, albeit for only a few moments before you were incinerated by the guard waiting outside’.

The commissar simply responded with a crooked smile.

‘Do I take it that you will freely give yourself over to the Inquisition?’

‘I have one condition.’

The Inquisitor sneered. ‘I don’t make pacts with traitors’.

‘And that’s my condition. If I come quietly - my reputation is maintained. Say I’ve gone to help with your enquiries. Say whatever you like, but the men don’t hear anything that could damage morale’.

‘I didn’t take you for a sentimentalist.’

‘I’m not, I’m a pragmatist. My function is to inspire. Whatever happens to me after this, don’t waste the legacy I’ve created. It can still serve some good. Do that, and I’ll come. If not…’. He shrugged ‘you’d better hope your sharpshooters are better than I think they are’.

There was no fear in the man. No weighty resignation. He simply offered terms to be accepted or rejected. The inquisitor was under no illusion that if he refused, the commissar would try to kill him.

However, it wasn’t fear that swayed the inquisitor’s decision in the end. Like the commissar, he was also a pragmatist and, whilst undoubtably self-serving, the commissar’s words were no less true for it.

‘Very well, I accept your terms. Don your uniform one last time. And, commissar – it will be the last time’.

Not rising to the bait, the man on the bed stood up to his impressive height and moved to comply.

The inquisitor took a step back, still not trusting him.

‘Welcome to the Inquisition, Commissar Janus’.

Last edited:

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
As I mentioned, I’ve got a back story floating around in my head, and thought I’d expound on here. It will come in three chapters, though as @oddball300 wisely pointed out, having even one chapter of 10 - 30 pages on a thread would gum it up, so I decided to break each chapter down into digestable snippets much like Charles Dickens did, but with less Victorian poverty and more screaming shooty death skulls.

Back to your regular viewing (i.e. the proper pre-game stuff) soon.

LEGACY – Part 1
For those interested, perhaps knocking out a pdf once you've finished it would be the way to go.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Sounds like a good idea. Of course, that actually involves me finishing, which is unlikely. This may get confusing with two different story archs (ending up as at least 4 if i do them all), so it may be best for me to whitter on, on adifferent thread anyway

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
With Domino looking at dates, I've smuggled in my second ever game of 8th Ed 40k. Unfortunately Janus and his boys won't get a look in as I'll be using the 'Stone' faction (the Nurgle/Slaanesh leaning faction, whereas Janus belongs to the 'Fire' faction which is more Khorne/Tzeentch - and yes, I know those factions are enemies, but there are reasons. Reasons, damn it!)

The Stone faction uses Valhallan doctrines, no tanks, no abhumans but lots artillery. And a Banehammer for big games.

As it's all connected in my little head, I may pop up the results/interesting cock ups, to further Janus' story.

More Necromunding when Domino is back in the fight .

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
No worries dude. The machinations of The Commissar will continue in your absence, at least on paper. Have a good one, and let me know when I can shoot you in the face.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
In other news. Just made a 250pt Inquisitorial team using the exact models and weapons that I’ve just made in my Inquisimunda Gang. It’s gonna be awesome to use them on the battlefield, as well as the underhive.

All painting/modelling time this week will be spent on getting my Stone Golems Militarium army up to scratch, but will crack on with necro and the story after that.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
OFF SUBJECT 40K GAME

Hmm. Think I'll omit interweaving the first outing of the Stone Golems. I wasn't going to mention it in a Necro forum, but this type of bad play irritates me in any game.

In a small 1000pt game against Deathwatch, my opponent included all 4 assassins and an inquisitor. He knew that I hadn't played before. He then suggested that we start with an 18" deployment, rather than the normal 12" so we 'got to fight quicker for my first game' (i.e. learn the rules).

He then used the extra space behind me to deploy the 3 close assault assassins.

Warlord, command squad, 2 heavy weapon squads, and a standard squad, all dead to the assassins by turn 2. Every one else was tied up fighting them or getting out of the way .

I called it on turn 3, after not killing anything of this.

Honestly, if you only win by tricking your oponent's lack of understanding of the rules, why bother playing at all?

Anyway, I used it as an exercise to learn some of the strategems.

Suffice to say, I won't be rushing to play him again.

Reactions: SumpRat

oddball300

Gang Hero
Jul 25, 2011
Granite City, IL, USA
Ouch that dude sounds like a nozzle. I wouldn't play him anymore either especially with your lack of experience. Sounds like he set up the game on his favor with the bs deployment rule.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
BS game... There is always that one guy. It can turn new blood right off the hobby, and then no one gets to play. So, so stupid. I hope you find better opponents in the future!(y)

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Took a quick look in.
In the old days of 40K, all four assassins were used as a special mission with no support as they were deadly when co-ordinate properly.
Your opponent sounds like a 'tool'.
Going to pull out my Eldar when I return to Weymouth. I've easily more than a 1K hidden away and a group that plans to meet weekly through Boss. Perhaps you may look into this group too. I'm in the same boat with the changes in 8th ed.
I'll get their details and pass them on, if you're interested, when I get back.

Reactions: Stubram

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Like Stubram, I've veered into 8th ed 40K with my old Eldar.
Had a 500pt game on Thursday evening and pulled a draw against a Nurgle chaos force led by Space Marines and the toughest HQ I've experienced. I think tickling it to death with a feather would have been more effective than my shurikens and power swords.

If you can make Thursday evenings @Stubram, it may be worth looking in at Boss.

SumpRat

Gang Champion
Apr 23, 2013
I await with baited cigar breath! These boys need to get scrapping again, because I wanna know what’s happening.

8th hasn’t scratched my itch, Necromunda completely owns it!

And you guys are feeding the addiction.