The Warlords

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
Future plans!

@Stubram and I have been discussing the campaign and when we can get a resolution to the current phase as we have become tied up in 40K too. This distraction ties into Stubram's plans as can be seen in some of his posts and I am planning a Rogue Trader led squad for Inquisitor.
Hopefully we will be able to get more games and narrative in 2019 as we are both trying to interest new players as well as expand our scope and possible venues & dates.

Currently we are playing games of 40K at 1000pts to get a proper grasp of the rules with a view to a narrative campaign which will hopefully be as characterful as has been found in Necro on this thread.

Now I just need to cobble a PC together and get it running. I'm a little limited without one as I processed all my photo's and record sheets on my old one before it died :cry:
(I'm using a tablet for Internet currently).

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
I was planning to write a fluff piece explaining why there’s been such a long delay, but realised the last report mentions the Whispermen moving at once to catch Janus off guard. I do, however, have some fluffy plot pieces to hopefully add to the next fight, which is an Ambush grudge match as chosen by Domino. As it’s the last fight of this chapter (before we add extra games/gangs/people), we’re hoping to add a few meaningful twists.

Over to Domino to set the scene.

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
In other news, I've abandoned painting up my Space Wolves or two imperial guard armies in favour of a Renegades and Heretics army which will include none other than the Diablo Nova (and a few other shady characters who you'll be seeing around the underhive).

We're going on the road, boys.

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Pre Battle Narative
Game 9: Ambush

It's been a while since @Stubram and I have had a game of Necromunda, but all being well we should be getting a game in on Satuday 20th.
We're hoping this will be a good one with some new twists for the narrative.
So for all of you who have been so patient with us is a short piece to set the scene.

They'd left Ulysses back in Sterling Falls, burning with fever and being tended by the local wise woman who used her knowledge of the local flora and fauna to attend to all ills that beset the community. She couldn't guarantee how long it would take, only that he'd survive.
As they left, even with the fever causing him to burn up, Ulysses had clung to his rifle and called weakly, 'Give 'em he'll lads.'

The Whisper Men made their way into Diablo Nova's territory cautiously. Lucifer working at the nagging ache in his leg as he followed, watching for signs of trouble to their rear. The air he noticed had seemingly become more fowl, if that was possible.
He was wondering if it had been a good idea to follow Vic rather than feign the extent of his injury to give himself a chance to report to his contact. But no, Vic would need all of them on this venture.
The low gloom, a constant in the hive, revealed structures that towered over them that constantly dripped with slimey water and were encrusted with corrosion and mould.

It was hard to tell if this area was safe, but this is where it would go down.
This is where they would hit Janus and his men.
They were also blind to much of what to expect as moving so fast had limited their intelligence. All they knew was some sort of meeting was taking place, with whom they knew not.
Even the timing was fuzzy.

A quick scout around revealed likely locations to hide and wait and they peeled away in teams, blending into the shadows to wait...

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Pre Battle Narrative - Diablo Nova
Game 9: Ambush

'She's here'

Two words. Two simple words, but they fell on the collected group like a pronouncement of death.

The cowled figure who spoke them stood unmoving in the small clearing, flanked by three more of its kind.

To his credit, Janus didn't waste time asking if they were sure. Instead, he issued curt orders to his men.

'Get word to Oda Bochese – come with all speed and I'll count us even. The same goes out to everyone who has ever owed us a favour. Pick up every scummer piece of filth this side of Gallows Cross, then rally our settlement – if they want a roof over their heads, they’re going to have to earn it.

Next, he turned to Mithus, who maintained contacts at the docks as part of his now defunct 'slaught running operation.

'Get your contacts asking – is there a ship leaving the hive today that will take us offworld?'

'Where to, boss?'

'Anywhere! The more obscure the better. I need some time and distance to think on what to do next.’

At the mention of leaving the planet, the hooded figures grew visibly agitated.

'Warlord, you cannot abandon the endeavour this close to the finish! There is but one key remaining. Too much is at stake'.

Commissar Janus rounded on the diminutive figure.

'The cause is not served with my death. You know what’s after me. I need time to gather more allies'.

Janus went to turn away, but a wizened hand shot out of the robes and grabbed his arm with vice-like intensity.

'Fool! You are but a small part in this, but you will play that part. You will not leave, we forbid it!'.

There was an audible crack as Janus broke the arm. He then raised the butt of his big 'guard issue bolt pistol and brought it down hard on the things head. It fell bonelessly to the floor, where the Commissar proceeded to stamp on its skull until there was naught left but rags and blood.

The things compatriots shuffled and hissed in outrage, and looked to be on the verge of attacking him. The rest of the gang closed ranks, and the robbed creatures relented. Another of their kind stepped forward, hands raised in a placatory manner.

'Warlord, this serves no purpose'. Its sibilant voice, calming and soothing. 'If we are aware of her presence, it’s because she wants us to know. Fear is her bedfellow, Panic her companion. She will have agents covering all exits. If you flee, she will trap you. There is only one way forward – find the last key, and turn it on her. The Triumvirate can stand against her where you alone cannot'.

There was a palatable tension in the air. The Novas had been wrong footed too many times. They’d been outmaneuvered and pushed into the defensive from their very first encounter with the damned local gang here.

Arriving in this cesspit was part of a wider plan, but they’d come under-strength, under-equipped and under-resourced. All of it forced by their last frantic flight from the Ashen Court and the Lady who ruled it. Good men, valuable men, had been left to die so the few could escape and fight on. Good sense said that Janus should do the same again – throw the men at the next onslaught, take Brockus and Remus, and escape again, into the bowels of this place, and try to get the last key.

He sighed, and turned to Sachus.

'I think some of your fool sentimentality has rubbed off on me, old man'. Janus turned to his men.

'We've bled to be here; all of us. We’ll bleed again before we’re through. We’ve been betrayed, hounded, and left to die. You know what’s coming. You know the odds. I say this to you - If this is to be our end, we’ll make it of our choosing, at our own time. All the gods be damned!'

The crowed roared their approval. This was the man they had followed. This was the man they would die for.

The Robed creatures hissed at the usurping of their plan.

'Warlord, no! Don’t let stubborn pride ruin all you have achieved. You are so close, take those that can be used and shed the rest. It is written! It must be so!'

The bolt pistols was back, aimed at the darkness in the hood where the creature’s face should be.

'Be gone, snake. If we survive, we will continue our quest, but on our terms. I’ve been played the puppet too long now. No more'.

There was a slight scrape in the darkness surrounding them. Janus looked up to see an amethyst cloak disappear behind a pillar.

'No...not now. Not now!' Janus howled his furry into the heavens even as he sprinted forward.

'DIABLO NOVA! LEAVE NONE ALIVE! ATTACK! ATTACK!'

Last edited:

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Game 9 - Ambush

An odd game where conditions resulted in my men failing to do the damage they should.
Treacherous conditions forcing them to ground level threw my initial deployment idea 'out of the window' and resulted in set up on the ground. My men loaded the ubiquitous 'Nerf' darts into their weapons again, but they had plenty of them as I had two 'spare clips' in my strategy cards along with weapon smith and reloads for my less reliable weapons. @Stubram's card was pretty much useless for this battle.
The biggest shock was Janus breaking near the start of the battle and fleeing when one of his men went down to a man-stopper round. When he recovered his nerve, Diablo Nova had to do a break test for men down and out and Stubram rolled 12.
I would consider this a Pyrrhic victory as my men were also at break point with Brockus on my flank doing what he does best with Rufus, Wash and Humphrey already out of it and only Joss to stop him, it didn't look good.
So onto the narrative to make some sense of this.

They'd waited in the shadows until Janus, his men and the shadowy robed figures arrived below amongst the old barricades and bulkheads that littered the area. A conversation ensued that appeared to show disagreament leading to the violent demise of one of the robed characters.
That's when the winds started.
That's when they were forced to the ground were they were vulnerable.

Adjusting thier focus to one side of Diablo Nova's position, they opened up with all they had, causing the confused Nova's to drop prone to maximise cover around them as projectiles and las-beams plagued thier surroundings.
Kitt started tossing scare grenades into the mix to little effect as the winds caused his first to dissapate.

Making use of the confusion, the Whisper Men adjusted thier position slightly, allowing Lucifer to switch from the Needle Rifle to his trusty Flamer, which, along with further support kept the Nova's pinned down.
Two Fry had other ideas and drew a bead on one of the robed figures and let loose a man-stopper round. The stranger laughed mockingly, shimmering as the round passed straight through him to hit a Nova in the distance who went down next to Janus.
In a strange moment of apparent panic, Janus fled, leaving his man in the middle of the killing ground.

Despite Janus' action, his men fought on, returning fire and attempting to manouvre for the charge where they had the advantage. Even when Whsiper Men started dropping, Janus continued to run for the apparent safety of cover away from the battle and the daemons that suddenly plagued him.

Out on his own, Brockus managed to outflank Humphrey, the second heavy of the Whisper Men, and charged in full berserk mode, barely avoiding the butt of a heavy stubber as the man reacted. But he took his man down, and that was all that mattered.

The tide was turning in favour of Diablo Nova as thier numbers started to count. Three Whisper Men were out of the battle now, including Wash who was perhaps their best shot.

Janus, still wrestling with his Daemons, suddenly called for the retreat.
Why?
No one could fathom.
The Nova's retreated, grabbing what they could, including the unconcious Wash.
What they would have in store for him, none could say.
But it wouldn't be good...

Reactions: Stubram and MedMos

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Love it. Every time I think we’ve covered all the bases in our story, something mad happens and we have to adapt on the fly.

As Domino is having tech trouble, I took all of the pictures so am attempting to string them together with a narrative.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Battle 9 – Ambush – Battle report - Part 1

The meeting.

full.jpg

Responding their leader’s cry, Diablo Nova took what cover they could, knowing violence was imminent. The eldritch creature before the gang leader raised its fleshless hands, uttering inhuman syllables. The air had been still, calm. Now it blew with desperate intensity, driving any would-be attackers to ground and hastening the robed creatures escape.

The creature then turned its attention to The Commissar.

‘You, Ascended, who wears the true-name ‘Warlord’ You still do not ken the powers you court, or value of the prize at stake. You should have listened to us, but now you will face her alone. This is not over.’

With that, the creatures turned and fled into the darkness.

full.jpg

Attackers drew in from all angles. The dense machinery that offered seclusion and privacy for the Nova’s clandestine meeting now inhibited their ability to respond to the threat, funnelling them into waiting Delaque guns.

The Whisper Men had chosen their positions well…

full.jpg

With the gang effectively split in two, Janus bellowed for those closest to him to charge South, the others to charge North.

‘Split up, claim cover, and keep moving!’

Bolts, shells and flame surged against Sachus’ position on the other side of the machinery, winging him. The rest of his men hit the deck around him, uninjured, but unable to retaliate.

Crawling on hands and knees, Atticus waved at Farrus to follow him. Out of sight of the fusillade, he hoped to encircle the attackers and draw off some fire.

A ‘thud’ as something landed nearby.

‘GRENA…’ was as far as he got, before the world exploded in choking smoke.

Out of the blast radius, Sachus could only watch as Atticus and Farrus were reduced to gibbering wrecks as Kit Greyson’s infamous scare grenades did their foul work.

full.jpg

The fire was relentless, testing even the Diablo Nova’s legendary fortitude.

full.jpg

As creatures fled the area, leaving the beleaguered gang to their fate, there would be many who later claimed they saw Whisper Man bullets pass harmlessly through them. The robed body felled by Janus disappeared, bloodstains and all.

full.jpg

A bullet meant for the robed creatures found Carus instead. Janus spun around, ready to take on all comers.

Something moved, just off to his right. He turned, but there was nothing there. He fired his bolt pistol into the dark, but it hit nothing. The shadows…moved. There was an intangible sense of threat.

A brittle, tinkling laughter…

A new dread settled on The Commissar. They were out of time.

The Lady had found them.

The shadows exploded into motion. Things of claw and fang. Hard as iron and insubstantial as smoke. They leapt and snapped, striking all around.

‘Boss? Boss! What’s happing? What are you doing?’

Dumbfounded, Forvus Gorge could only look on as his leader swung wildly at the air with his ancient sword. He ducked as something only he could see lunged from overhead, firing his pistol wildly.

He screamed all the while.

full.jpg

Seeing his leader incapacitated, Sachus rallied the men, coordinating return fire, and the Novas began to form some kind of defence.

Finally out from under the effects of the baleful cloud, Atticus began pumping grenades downrange, taking out Rufus Johns and forcing some breathing space from that quarter.

Farris, meanwhile, closed the distance on the Delaque leader and sprayed him on full auto, failing to wound, but forcing Bascombe to keep his head down and out of the fight.

full.jpg

Responding to the shift, Janus managed to retain his senses long enough to put a bolt into the Wisper Man sniper, Wash Holbourne. Seeing the veteran Delaque go down, to none other than the deranged Goliath leader, was too much for Joss Swanson, who panicked and broke.

full.jpg

Separate from his fellows, always aloof and alone, ‘The Traveler’ sought out his victims, seemingly oblivious, or perhaps indifferent, to the injuries the Novas were taking.

full.jpg

Reactions: MedMos

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Battle 9 – Ambush – Battle report - Part 2

Whatever the fell curse had been put on the Commissar finally overcame him completely. Seemingly unaware of the battle around him, he flailed and spun, fighting a host of invisible assailants.

full.jpg

Unperturbed, Brockus surged into his foe whilst the surrounding Whisper Men scattered, leaving the luckless heavy to his fate.

Perhaps stung into fury by the sense of betrayal, Humphrey Barnardson brought the barrel of his cumbersome weapon around, very nearly felling the Nova champion.

full.jpg

Not to be denied, Brockus used his great strength to bodyslam the Delaque heavy to the floor. His glowing axe finished things thereafter.

All the while Joss Swanson kept his comrades between him and his enemies, using their lives as currency while he reloaded and regrouped.

full.jpg

Shear weight of bullets pinned Brockus in place, though the powers that protect him seem to keep him from harm.

full.jpg

Seeing his leader gone, his gang burning and bleeding around him, Old Man Sachus charged at his enemies in desperation, trying to draw fire.

full.jpg

Out of ammo, but still carrying Brockus’ old shotgun, Forvus Gorge attempted to help Sachus, all the while keeping his leader from harm.

full.jpg

To no avail. Sachus went down to a combination of shotgun shells and promethium.

The sight of his wilful second in command falling, leading a charge that Janus should have lead, seemed to finally break through to the Nova leader. Like a veil lifting, he took stock.

The Delaques were broken in the south. Vic Bascombe himself was pinned to the west. They could overwhelm the remaining Delaques, they could punish this final Whisper Man affront, they could…

A pale face in the dark. Beautiful, cold, terrible. It was the face that had haunted his dreams and waking moments alike. It had hounded his thoughts for over three years now..

Revenge, honour, justice; they would all have to wait. What counted now, was survival. He would face his nemesis, but not on two fronts.

Through gritted teeth, he gave the order.

‘Pick up the wounded, rally to the south of the complex, and retreat! Atticus, cover us!’

The big heavy nodded, and began launching frag grenades to deter pursuit.

With one final, bitter glance at his enemies, ‘Commissar’ Janus pulled out, swearing that, one day, he’d come back and finish the job, and put Vic Bascombe and his men down for good.

After that, he had to put the hated Whisper Men from his mind.

Another reckoning awaited.

full.jpg

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
This is a lovely narrative! Aces all along! Truly an example of how one can use bad luck to create a story filled to the brim with doom, gloom and humor - the image of a goliath going OOA because his hairdo is on fire is going to stay with me a long time.

Reactions: Stubram