The Warlords

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
Re: Game 2 – The Rescue

Astorus ‘The Scorched’ awaits his fate in this game as his gang, Diablo Nova make moves to free him.

Battle Report: The Rescue

Word came via secret coded taps on the pipes that ran through the hive.

Janus is coming.
Diablo Nova are coming...

Quickly Vic directed his men to their guard positions and sent Rufus and Joss to scout the outer perimeter (Reinforcements). They all went to the high ground to increase their view range and be close to the cover of the bulkheads should it be needed.

Grabbing the chains of their captive, Astoros, Vic led him to a difficult to reach platform.
Once tied into position, Vic revealed a standard with the Goliath House symbol and set it next to the immobile Goliath.
'This is so they know where to find you,' he informed Astoros. It was almost as though Vic was taunting the incoming gang.

upload_2017-9-18_22-14-39.png

Astorus awaiting rescue by a flag set to Taunt Diablo Nova

'Ok lads. Keep 'em peeled and holler if you see anything.
'Death's coming to dinner and we ain't the entrées!'

Using the cover, the Goliath's of Diablo Nova made it to the outskirts of the settlement where their man was kept and surveyed the field.
Phorus pointed out the flag on the top gantry of one of the buildings, with what looked like a man chained up next to it. 'The bl**dy cheek!'

The attack was signalled as the sentries paced around missing the massed Goliath gang charging forward through the dome as they were distracted by other things. Even when the shooting started, Downing Two Fry next to Kid Tuesday, the alarm didn't get raised. The kid merely looked up to see what could have fallen on his comrade.

At the far end of the dome, Ulyses Krouse investigated an interesting poster whilst wash had problems penetrating the murk and failed to spot the Diablo heavy climbing into position as his boss ran forward with three Juves. He only realised what was happening when the barking chatter of a 'Big Stubber' tore through the air.
He was heartened to see a stream of fire that obviously belonged to Lucifer and added his Lasgun to it, aiming for the flame illuminated area in the hope of hitting something.

upload_2017-9-18_22-16-0.png

Lucifer brings a little heat!

Ulyses did the same with his autogun. Both of them holding steady, even when a Frag grenade bounced off the bulkhead behind them. It landed with a blast of shrapnel, catching the Juves who had just run back when the alarm was raised, wounding and pinning one of them.

As Diablo Nova increased their fire taking several of the Whisper Men down, including Vic Bascombe, it came time for Rufus to truly show his metal; taking careful aim he made a bead on the Nova leader who was hollering at one of his Juves who happened to be on fire, screaming and charging round as flames licked his body.

'Focus...' He thought to himself.
The cover made it a tough shot.
'Breath...'
'Hold...and...
He loosed a single round, hitting 'The Commissar' in the face. His target went down.

upload_2017-9-18_22-17-16.png

'The Commissar' falls victim to Rufus Johns 'One in a Million Shot'.

The remaining Diablo Nova' bugged out as their boss went down, dragging their wounded off behind them.

Clearing up after the fight and checking the wounded revealed that no one was seriously hurt and only needed minimal first aid.

Vic made his was to Astorus and took down the banner.
'Now what do we do with you?' he asked rhetorically.

Post battle comment:

Another great game with bullets and grenades flying round, and of course Lucifer Squib living up to his name by loosing hell with a flame thrower.
But I'm sure @Stubram will agree that if we had a 'Man of the Battle' prize, it would go to Rufus Johns just for the moral impact and result to Janus with the most audacious shot of the battle. He required a 7+ to hit. And he got it!

Reactions: Stubram

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
I figured that having two head wounds made no sense for Phoros, as stupid/frenzy isn't cumulative, and you canthave both at the same time. I rolled again and he lost three fingers from his other hand, making him WS 1!
I understand. It's just one of those common sense things.

I took a little liberty in what your gangs reaction would be to a taunting flag. Hope you don't mind.

Will post my update on gang advances once I've checked the rules on captives.

P.s Rufus was a busy boy that battle with 3 advances. He's now got an increase in BS (Makes sense) and Dive. He also got medic due to a choose any skill table roll, I thought it fair to randomize which table and he got Techno.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
No worries dude. Enjoying the different take on each event - clearly each gang's propaganda machine is working overtime!

Funnily enough, I got a 'choose any' roll on the mangled Phoros. I was gonna go Techno, as most of those help the gang, regardless of how useless the fighter is, but that felt beardy and out of character, so plumped for Agility and rolled 'Leap'.

Phorus can now get Frenzy (Head Wound) add D6 to his charge (Leap) rolls double his attack dice (Berserk Charge), and causes Fear (Horrible Scars)..all with a Weapon Skill of 1....

I'm thinking of just loading him up with soley close combat weapons and sending off to cause havoc or die in an entertaining manner.

If the gangs new patron shows favour, such a twisted wreck of a man might become our gang totem...

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe and Domino

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Post Battle Report

'Well lads, the drinks are on me,' Vic called across the bar of the local brew-house.
'We did well today, but don't get complacent. Luck only carries you through so far, but for now enjoy yourselves.'

He knew one Goliath gang member wouldn't be doing so well. The Guilder that bought him had an ironic, dark sense of humour.
'Survived a toasting with a Flamer eh. I've got just the place for you, the Ice mines.' the Guilder had said as he passed over 30credits.
'Oh yes, a big strong one like you will do well there. Different kind of burns there.' the guilder had an oily demeanor about him that Vic didn't appreciate.

When his men had gone out to collect from their interests after the battle, news had already arrived and they couldn't pay fast enough and the trading post had some rare items (Weapon Reload and Grapnel), but he decided against them. He did buy something though to reward Rufus for his success.
Through his contacts, he also sent word to Janus that if he still wanted Astorus back, he'd have to take it up with The Guilders.

Jokes and descriptions of the battle were fired back and forth in the bar, getting more exaggerated all the time.
Vic climbed up onto the bar and banged his foot down a few times to get everyone's attention and then spoke. 'We've had a good week and come through virtually unscathed.
'Against the odds we did what was supposed to be impossible, defended our territory and retained Astorus 'The Scorched' who is now the problem of the Guild.
'Now,' he looked round the room and saw Rufus enjoying himself with one of the local women. 'If Rufus can put down that tart, I have something here in recognition of his natural talent and,' he looked round the room, 'quite possibly saving everyone's skins by taking down Janus.'

A cheer went up and Rufus was grabbed and pushed forward.
Vic grabbed his arm and pulled him up onto the bar next to him. He then raised his glass and called a toast, 'Rufus' and downed his drink, everyone followed suit.
'In recognition of your luck and skill.' Vic handed a box to Rufus, then dropped his voice so only Rufus could hear, 'Use it wisely and make it count.'

Rufus nodded an acknowledgement and jumped off the bar, headed to a quite corner and peaked inside the box he'd been given. The lid snapped shut. He was shocked by what was inside, but understood Vic's instructions...

So what's inside Rufus Johns box?

Perhaps we'll find out soon...

Reactions: spafe and Stubram

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Phoros can now get Frenzy (Head Wound) add D6 to his charge (Leap) rolls double his attack dice (Berserk Charge), and causes Fear (Horrible Scars)..all with a Weapon Skill of 1....

I'm thinking of just loading him up with soley close combat weapons and sending off to cause havoc or die in an entertaining manner.
I better hope my men 'run away bravely' if he comes for them. ;)

If the gangs new patron shows favour, such a twisted wreck of a man might become our gang totem...
With the state he's in, it would have to be ironic :)

Reactions: Stubram and spafe

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
I thought you might like my little post battle update.

Whatever it is, boy's goin' down. Can't let an insult like that pass
I think all of the Whisper Men are due reversals of fortune. Its been too much in their favour so far and it can't last.
Thats why I had Vic stating 'Luck only carries you through so far'.

P.s: I'm trying to go for a 'Sneaky Honorable B#st##ds' approach to my gang. Don't know if I'm pulling it off though.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Dude, let's be honest - me losing is down to my own playing (and you taking advantage of it!) You're working the 'sneaky' vibe, and I'm working the 'charging forward in the open in a tight group to be continuously shot and set on fire' vibe.

Let's not forget, I rolled the maximum allowance of gangers for both games and still got drubbed. I thought you were crazy getting a gang with only 8 members in, but I'm starting to see your logic (my gang of 11 is officially down to 10, practically down to 9 (with Phorus' list of injuries), and could be down to 8 with my 'Old Battle Wound' gangers getting an unlucky roll - after just 2 games!) This effects how much income I make, and how much experience each ganger gets.

I'd say you're nailing the 'long game' strategy pretty well.

Also, I'm thinking Astorus 'The Scorched' (soon to be Astorus the Perpetually Chilly) may make a reappearance as a hired gun in due course (allowing me to carve up one of those excellent Blood Reavers and stick all kinds of drills and hammers to him).

Huzzah!

Last edited:
Reactions: Domino and spafe

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Also - I clearly need to figure out how to make your camera focus! You can take the piccies next time

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
These aren't my pics, but I do own the minis. As Phorus got so mangled (covered in horrific burns, a gaping head wound, only two fingers left on each hand etc) I thought I could change the model up a bit. Check it -

Phorus before

Phorus After

I may stick a pistol and an axe in his crab-like hands, then send him off to terrorise the underhive, before dying messily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Let's not forget, I rolled the maximum allowance of gangers for both games and still got drubbed. I thought you were crazy getting a gang with only 8 members in, but I'm starting to see your logic (my gang of 11 is officially down to 10, practically down to 9 (with Phoros' list of injuries), and could be down to 8 with my 'Old Battle Wound' gangers getting an unlucky roll - after just 2 games!) This effects how much income I make, and how much experience each ganger gets.
I've always liked a little cash to fall back on and found 8 or 9 gang members to be a happy medium.
I also prefer to take a back-up pistol for most of my gang, as some weapons are notoriously prone to failing just when you need them. Just take that opening shot of my Flamer in game 1, it did the business and then was useless. That confident run round after Janus just made you think he was kitted with more than he had.

Also of note is that having the flamer changes some of the strategy as you need to get close, the opposite of how Delaque are supposed to function.

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Also, I'm thinking Astorus 'The Scorched' (soon to be Astoros the Perpetually Chilly) may make a reappearance as a hired gun in due course (allowing me to carve up one of those excellent Blood Reavers and stick all kinds of drills and hammers to him).
I thought you may like the irony of one of the 'hottest' gangers in the hive becoming the 'coolest'.

Maybe a chance for a slave uprising scenario...

I'm Sparticus!

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Just a quick post so you all realize that this campaign is still live.
@Stubram suggested this weekend for our next game, but I have family down so we will play it when our calender's sync up again.
We already know what we are playing, so this snippet is to set the scene...

Pre-battle scene for game 3:

After the victory celebrations, it had gone quite.
Too quite.
There was a change in the fetid air, and Vic didn’t like it.
‘Lucifer!’
Lucifer stepped into Vic’s hut. ‘Sir.’
‘How’s the training going?’
‘Not too bad. Most have shown marked improvement.’
Vic looked up from his desk, ‘How about Rufus?’
‘Showing good progress. He’s even shown some talent for applying field dressings.’
‘Look after him. He shows promise and it would be a shame to lose him.’ Vic rose from his chair. ‘Now get the lads kitted up. We’re going to take a walk.’
‘Sir,’ Lucifer made his way out to grab his Flamer and pass the word.
Vic took his Bolter from its case and checked the action before making his way to follow Lucifer.
‘Too damned quite…’

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Diablo Nova pre-battle scene (expanded):

Screams echoed across the broken landscape, easily penetrating the thin sheet metal forming the sanctum of the leader of the Diablo Nova.

‘Dead Meat! Get in here!’

The heavy curtain twitched, and a scared looking juve shuffled in, protectively cradling the stumps of the missing fingers of his left hand - a lesson learned from the last time he crossed ‘The Commissar’.

‘Yes boss?’ ‘Dead Meat’ Carus tried to keep the quiver from his voice – the boss despised weakness.

‘Shut that racket up. Now.’

‘B…but boss, we can’t control him. One second he’s drooling and laughing to himself, next he’s howling and beating his head bloody against his cage’.

‘He was your friend, boy, so unless you want me to shut him up’ The Commissar’s hand wandered to the stock of his heavy bolt pistol ‘I suggest you do something about it’.

After Carus had left, The Commissar’s second, ‘Old Man’ Sachus came in.

‘Is something wrong sir’? Sachus was the only one to call him ‘sir’ – a throwback to their shared history in the ‘Guard.

‘You’d better believe something’s wrong’ growled The Commissar, rubbing the still raw wound where his right eye used to be. ‘ We need to show these bald-headed degenerates who they’re dealing with.’

‘I agree, sir, but how?’

‘I have something in mind, but first, how is Astorus faring?’

‘He doesn’t go by that name anymore sir’ said Sachus. ‘Those Guilder bastards took his mind, along with his arms. He served under me in the 9th for six long years, and those scum turned him into a damn human ice-pick. It’s a crime, sir! It’s inhuman! It’s…’

‘of use to us’ cut in the commissar. ‘He’s more powerful now than any ex-military dropout could ever be. Just make sure he’s in fighting shape and ready’.

Stony faced, Sachus replied to his former-officer ‘Sir, yes sir.’ And then turned to go.

‘Wait’ barked The Commissar, pulling a large claymore from under the table and tossing it to his second. ‘Give that to the freak. Let’s see what sort of mess he can make of things before he dies’.

Phorus’ continued howling followed Sachus into the gloom, yet the noise didn’t bother the Goliath leader as it had. He sat back in his chair, a slow grin spreading across his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe and Domino

SumpRat

Gang Hero
Apr 23, 2013
Well this is delightfully evil. Commissar must have a collection of fingers from the sounds of things.

'He was your friend, boy' just sounds tragic.

Reactions: Domino and Stubram