N18 Thermic Vent S-109 - Vertical Board and Bulkhead Terrain

Kiblams

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
A little background

So I have always wanted to build a vertical game board for Necromunda, but with the game in a very stagnant state and not being a massive fan of the 2nd edition game mechanics; I have never had the motivation to do it.

Now along comes the new Necromunda which as far as I can tell has a more streamlined core mechanics (if only slightly) and I am on board (see what I did there?)

I have seen many vertical game boards in the past and I have always thought that they are too sparse and too static in their design for use in a campaign game such as Necromunda where switching up the board can make all the difference. The scarcity of the tables also leads to them being massive constructions (6ft + tall) and also really detracts from the cramped and claustrophobic imagery I have in my head for the belly of a hive city.

The Plan

The plan is to make a modular vertical game board using mostly (if not all) styrene products (yes I have a problem) where the walkways are static to game ‘tiles’ and the terrain features such as stairs, ladders and cover etc. can all be configured to make a great flexible game board.

I am building sections of wall that are essentially A4 sheets with walkways spaced 7cm (just shy of 3”) apart which will mount onto an A1 backing board allowing a 2x4 layout of the different ‘tiles’. Each walkway will have an edge that will support the different features such as ladders, railings and stairs etc. All structural work will be done with 1mm styrene sheets with 0.25mm for detailing.

The detailing of the main styrene structure will be in layering 0.25mm styrene that is cut into panel work patterns to give every surface the needed texture for it to look great when painted.

Though the backboard will only support 8 tiles I would like to make over 10 for different configuration choices and also for set pieces such as a section destroyed by an explosion for example.

The Possibilities
I would love to add lighting to the board with USB powered fairly lights, but I need to do some serious thinking on how that will work without impacting the modularity of it all.

I am also thinking that a lift of some kind would be an awesome addition and having it actually work would be amazing, though as yet I have zero idea on how to achieve that.

The Progress
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always C&C are always welcome!

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Saw the title and thought .... ooh, Kiblams is making a vertical board.... what's he gonna make it from?...

Duh.

Already reminds me of the old GW space hulk diorama. Great stuff.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
This looks flipping ace! I'm excited to see where this goes dude!

Kiblams

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Saw the title and thought .... ooh, Kiblams is making a vertical board.... what's he gonna make it from?...
Duh.
Already reminds me of the old GW space hulk diorama. Great stuff.
Haha! yeah I totally get that too!

how are you sticking them to the wall?
There are at the moment two tabs at the top corners of each 'tile' and these correspond to tabs on the backing board. its all styrene so polycement makes them very strong indeed, though I am contemplating adding more to extra security in use.

I really like that lift idea. I hope this might give you some ideas how to carry it out:
Awesome! I will watch this when I'm home. Thanks for linking it! (I think... ;) )

This looks flipping ace! I'm excited to see where this goes dude!
Thanks very much! Welcome along for the ride! :D

Reactions: spafe

Wanderer

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Oct 28, 2011
Upstate New York
Side-Scrolling gaming! Impressive. I imagine a lot of work involved building those walkways and keeping them square and level.

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe

Kiblams

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
I know White Dwarf made a Shadow War Armageddon vertical board, however it was a circular design.
Do you mean the one at Warhammer World (featured in White Dwarf) where they made 3 tall towers using the shadow war terrain?

Side-Scrolling gaming! Impressive. I image a lot of work involved building those walkways and keeping them square and level.
Thanks! :D Yeah the braces for them seem to control the angles which can cause alignment issues which are annoying. Luckily I can cover minor alignment issues with the railings and ladders.

More progress:

I have had a go at adding some flooring details to a few of the walkways.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I need to figure out a pattern for the walls now :D

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Hey ... good to see you back. I always really enjoy your stuff.

Loving both the idea, and the excecution. How/what are those flooring details made of? They look great.

Reactions: Chivers7

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
That looks really good - I hope those flooring details are stamped out or something, the thought of cutting them all by hand worries me!

Kiblams

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Hey ... good to see you back. I always really enjoy your stuff.

Loving both the idea, and the excecution. How/what are those flooring details made of? They look great.
That looks really good - I hope those flooring details are stamped out or something, the thought of cutting them all by hand worries me!
Thanks very much guys! :D

The flooring details are made from 0.25mm styrene sheet (plasticard) and I cut them using my plotting machine (google Silhouette Portrait).

Once I have the general pattern detailing on the floor and walls I can go ahead and add all of the interesting stuff like pipes and wires etc. and the even more interesting stuff like bent/destroyed walkways and maybe even some of the GW terrain (In halves of course ;) )

Reactions: Chivers7 and Stoof

Kiblams

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Wanderer clutches his head with both hands in amazement and squeals: "Those floor panels are sooo sweet!!
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I got to get me one of those silhouette portrait cutters, the floor tiles look great. This is a great project, I’ll be following with intrest. (y)
It really reminds me of the original prince of Persia game or another world and flashback
I think there is a lot of platformer nostalgia surfacing when people see the board, I am hoping that as more details are added the edges of the walkways it will start to look less like a platformer and more like an industrial setting :)

Reactions: Stoof

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
@Kiblams, what’s that plotter/cutter/silhouette portrait cutter thingy? Any details?

I’ve never seen one before but the details you’ve made for the flooring with them look well worth investigating.