N18 Thermic Vent S-109 - Vertical Board and Bulkhead Terrain

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Thats some strong, classic terrain.
Thanks!

My problem on my models is there are too many floors to "reinforce" all of the edges of the floor. They look like metal plates rather than constructed ceiling/floors. Be careful not to go overboard. :D
I fully intend to continue edging all of the floor pieces I make, after all; I need places to hand ladders and put my railings!

Just read though the whole thread—impressive stuff!

If you ever decide to do another couple panels for your “Necromunda-wall” perhaps a huge vent that could be treated as hazardous terrain? It could activate at random times and suck players into its spinning blades? Just a thought!

Again—wondrous stuff!
That's a very cool idea indeed! I'm a big fan of terrain that impacts the way a game plays! And thanks for such kind words!

Now a small update;

I decided to see if I could replace the solid walls of the old terrain with the bulkheads instead, and this is how that worked out:

And this is the new pieces stacked on top of the U shaped building:

And finally here is how it all looks together:

I am pretty sure this will not only save me a load of time to make the whole table; but also make the tower supports look so much cooler, so I have pretty much decided to replace all of the towers to work in the same way, its certainly a much more sturdy method than the clip I had in place for the 'solid wall' design. What do you guys think I should do; leave them solid? or replace with bulkheads?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
So it looks like the opinion was unanimous; so I converted all the tower sections to work with the bulkheads. And what does any respectable necromunda player do when you've just made nine new tower sections that clip together?

It's super rickety like this so I soon started playing with more sensible set ups;

I have also had a play with making my own clips for the base of the bulkheads and was surprise to find that these also work great with 1mm styrene equivalents;

All in all a productive few days and I'm really chuffed with how it's all going and the sheer modularity of these bulkheads is revealing itself more and more as I go.

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Very nice, very nice indeed! I love the super rickety tower, although it did give me a horrible memory of my own rediciulously tall original card tower oh-so-slowly falling to the concrete garage floor with most of my & my friends gangs on it :eek:
That is the stuff of nightmares! It would certainly end the same way if I used the tower for a game!
Nice! You should totally have wires anchoring the tower to the walls of your gaming room, and then have a cable car running from your vertical board to the tower! :D
You're a crazy man! That is all!

I have made a new platform design, it only uses 4 bulkheads per level and is very sturdy and stable;

So I've now used up all 50 bulkheads I have and this is the end result;

I've got a day of games this weekend so I'm going to see how it all works in games and make any adjustments to it all before making any more.

Should I try a smaller board with more height do you think?

Cheers!

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
smaller board, more height... and can you break down your mighty wall so it is half height, then run it both sides of the board? that would be epic!
I like that! I am not sure two walls is a good idea because of trying to determine LOS for shots, but I reckon having the half wall to one side it a good shout!

Ratboy sr

Ganger
May 7, 2017
I prefer shooty boards, but it depends upon the scenario. Is the Vents skill in play? Definitely go with 3 levels max in that case. Disable Vents for the game and suddenly multi-levels becomes much more of a level playing field. ;)

Reactions: Kiblams

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I like that! I am not sure two walls is a good idea because of trying to determine LOS for shots, but I reckon having the half wall to one side it a good shout!
While not playing much, I had made a game of setting up my buildings in such a way that I got the largest surface sum available while still being able to reach all areas, albeit some with difficulty. This invariably resulted in a tall center with the edge no more than 30 inches from a comfortably accessing table edge. As not all buildings are tall, I ended up with a 4X8 plywood sheet with a "wall" of bulkheads running diagonally through the table. One long edge and one short edge were to reach the hive side, and the other two sides were to reach the ash wastes/imperial ruins. The center wall was 7 bulkheads tall with buildings from flat (representing a building top at the playing surface) to 10 bulkheads tall. Most tall buildings in the centerline grew perpendicular from the wall with about a foot between each building. Smaller buildings out from the wall and gangways in between.

Bottom Line, all the planning you make will not prevent a hivequake. Elmer Hoofstrike, Cawdor year 6,583

Reactions: Kiblams

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I hate to disagree... but I disagree. I prefer a board with more, lower level buildings over a smaller board with higher level buildings. 3 levels max is plenty IMO.
That's fair mate, I think for me it comes to if you have enought LoS blockers. Either set up doesn't work if you don;t have enough full LoS blocking terrain pieces, also, if you are going for height (boards with more than 3 levels), you need enough walkways/covering pieces that if you are on the highest ones you cannot easily shoot the ground level, otherwise it too easily allows for shooting gangs to dominate, This is what I've seen done with 'high' boards, where they have one or two big towers and not enough other stuff to build the overall level of the board up.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
That's fair mate, I think for me it comes to if you have enought LoS blockers. Either set up doesn't work if you don;t have enough full LoS blocking terrain pieces, also, if you are going for height (boards with more than 3 levels), you need enough walkways/covering pieces that if you are on the highest ones you cannot easily shoot the ground level, otherwise it too easily allows for shooting gangs to dominate, This is what I've seen done with 'high' boards, where they have one or two big towers and not enough other stuff to build the overall level of the board up.

Yeah, its more about LoS for sure. I tend to dislike games with really tall terrain because it often ends up with heavies dominating. Plenty of catwalks and LoS blocking chunks of terrain definitely helps to curtail this so not as bad. Its a lot easier to ensure a "fair" table with medium height buildings but not necessarily more fun either way. Good to mix it up from one game to another IMO.

Reactions: Kiblams and spafe

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Some interesting chat on good board design here guys!

We had a few games at the weekend with the board set on a 3x3' area with the terrain at 3-5 levels tall. We actually found it wasn't too bad at all, though the biggest guns we had were 2 long rifles and a Cawdor crossbow.

Here's how the board looked for the second game;

Really happy with how it went, I am now setting my sights on making the board look less uniform and a lot more ramshackle. Looking at the image above I think the broken container bridge adds a lot to the look so I am going to be adding more of that in.

Last edited:

Kiblams

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 1, 2012
Derby, UK
Little more progress to show and a question today.

I have worked out a way to clip stuff to the top of bulkheads and the first test of this is a plate for a crane to go on:

The question I have is; do any of you feel like the 'official' cranes from GW aren't ramshackle enough?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I dunno... they already look like they're assembled with spit and prayers. and according to fluff the second part is right. Maybe if they're rusted up you'll get the effect you want? Or maybe slap on a couple of makeshift repairs?

"That's not OSHA approved" would look right.