Transporting The Underhive

May 15, 2022
So I started my first thread here:

Necromunda Gaming Board Build

Which is my desire to create my own Underhive board, complete with all the bells and whistles, the best carefully painted terrain I can come up with. And I’m thinking lights, LCD screens, resin pours etc. Very much for me to have a few of the boys around, maybe set it up in the garage and leave it for an extended campaign.

I actually played my first game of Necromunda at the end of May, and the first time I’ve played any GW game since I was about 15 (I’m 42). Really pleased with that, and if anything it’s only given me more determination to build, and paint etc. Thanks in no small part to this community too.

Now I want to make that experience better. I want a way to carry a decent set of terrain, rules, tokens, cards and miniatures etc, throw it in my car and do it again after work with my friends. I’ll still come back to my own home board in future.

Companies like Feldherr make specific cases for just this purpose. I had a good look at those, but they just don’t seem to be what I want (and maybe they are, but I just don’t realise it yet). So I’m going to put together my own. Let’s see just how much of the Underhive we can put in a backpack, and maybe this helps some of you thinking about the same thing.

So I bought this backpack:

Backpack

Its a camera case, you can take out all the internal dividers. Nice big space, although the “hard shell” is a bit less hard than I would like.

I then bought these dividers:

Dividers

These are fairly soft, help protect paintwork. They‘re also modular so I can choose what I want to take.

Now that tripod holder on the side is crying out for a gaming mat tube. So I bought some down pipe from Screwfix and made a storage tube. I’ve uploaded the design here if anyone wants to do the same:

Wargaming Mat Storage Tube

I actually picked up a nice second hand copy of Underhive on eBay, that gives me some doors and more barricades. I also really like the walkways and pipes set set from Tesseracts Tomb:

Tesseracts Tomb

Getting there. We don’t have much time to get out and play after work, so keeping a little set in the car or ready to go seems like a sound plan!

Last edited:
May 15, 2022
So carrying on with this theme, I have a decent sized bag to carry all the stuff. Now I need some scenery.

Initially the Zone Mortalis stuff that comes with the boxed sets is a great start. It's great looking terrain and (although expensive), it's very modular.

Now I need a gaming board. Want something that breaks down small, packs away in the bag. More than just the printed paper/card - something with decent texture, that I can paint.

The zone mortalis tiles are big by comparison, and I've also noticed that distinctive large round circle mark on some older tiles - I guess that's where the flexing has shown through the paint work to reveal the moulding structure underneath.

I want to get something modular. I found this set:

The Dragon's Rest - Sector Fatalis

Each tile is 1/4 of a zone mortalis tile, the STLs are reasonably priced and I think they look really nice. And they also have features that secure the zone mortalis terrain in place. Nice!

Next job - print out a bunch of tiles.

So this is where it gets a bit interesting. Printing them in ABS - they warp. Not warp because the print wont stick, they warp because the manufacturing stresses come out once you lift the print off the bed (because it does stick). So the panel winds up slightly domed.

Cue some fun working out whether I can straighten them. I find the answer to be no....

So... let's try PLA. Turns out, with a 45 degree bed, it comes off the printer nice and straight. Happy days!

But - PLA and heat don't go together. First stack of 7 (3 and half days printing) ruined by being overzealous with the heatgun, removing whispy plastic :rolleyes:.

Pro tip (I learned the hard way) - put them in the freezer first, then go very careful with the heatgun.

Cheap B&M primer (thanks for whoever gave me that tip!):

Now we're ready to put a paint job on them!

May 15, 2022
I think yellow and black stripes look really good on Necromunda terrain. Adds a proper industrial look.

I ran around the edge of the tiles, and all the features with some silver metallic paint.

Then masked it off, to spray up the doors with a striped pattern. Put down some white first, before the yellow.

I printed out a fairly close fitting stripe mask, which saved a ton of time in masking off the stripes.

Then a bit of weathering powder and a light mist with water to set it.

Then a good coat of home made Agrax earthshade. Following the excellent tutorial here, I can absolutely recommend it:

Home made washes

I used about 50ml, for 8 tiles which absolutely makes it worth making your own.

I wanted a proper post apocalyptic, dirty, aged Underhive look. Somewhere that could have been in a disused area, without maintenance for hundreds of years.

I actually put a second coat of wash on to really give it that dirty look.

Then some matt Hycote spray, again from Amazon (can’t paste link for some reason).

These tiles need to be stackable, that’s needed to get a few into the backpack. I picked up these felt feet from Amazon:
15mm felt pads

Printed out a little jig to locate them quickly:

They stack 10mm high per tile:

And were basically there!

Now just need another 8, for a portable 2 x 2 board.

Thorfinn

Ganger
Aug 23, 2018
Florida
Turn that big tube into terrain. Paint it up, and add a few stair bridges (modular - stored in the backpack) to be able to cross over it, and/or some supports to raise it up high enough for models to cross under the tube. So it's storage for your mat, and also terrain.

Reactions: Underhive Tyrant

Wasteland

Gang Hero
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
A former
So I started my first thread here:

Necromunda Gaming Board Build

Which is my desire to create my own Underhive board, complete with all the bells and whistles, the best carefully painted terrain I can come up with. And I’m thinking lights, LCD screens, resin pours etc. Very much for me to have a few of the boys around, maybe set it up in the garage and leave it for an extended campaign.

I actually played my first game of Necromunda at the end of May, and the first time I’ve played any GW game since I was about 15 (I’m 42). Really pleased with that, and if anything it’s only given me more determination to build, and paint etc. Thanks in no small part to this community too.

Now I want to make that experience better. I want a way to carry a decent set of terrain, rules, tokens, cards and miniatures etc, throw it in my car and do it again after work with my friends. I’ll still come back to my own home board in future.

Companies like Feldherr make specific cases for just this purpose. I had a good look at those, but they just don’t seem to be what I want (and maybe they are, but I just don’t realise it yet). So I’m going to put together my own. Let’s see just how much of the Underhive we can put in a backpack, and maybe this helps some of you thinking about the same thing.

So I bought this backpack:

Backpack

Its a camera case, you can take out all the internal dividers. Nice big space, although the “hard shell” is a bit less hard than I would like.

I then bought these dividers:

Dividers

These are fairly soft, help protect paintwork. They‘re also modular so I can choose what I want to take.

Now that tripod holder on the side is crying out for a gaming mat tube. So I bought some down pipe from Screwfix and made a storage tube. I’ve uploaded the design here if anyone wants to do the same:

Wargaming Mat Storage Tube

I actually picked up a nice second hand copy of Underhive on eBay, that gives me some doors and more barricades. I also really like the walkways and pipes set set from Tesseracts Tomb:

Tesseracts Tomb

Getting there. We don’t have much time to get out and play after work, so keeping a little set in the car or ready to go seems like a sound plan!
A former gaming buddy of mine built a Blood Bowl field for travel. It´s laid in a wooden framework and hinges in the centre allow it to be folded. Maybe something like this could work for your Necromunda board. He also screwed handles along it for ease of transportation.

May 15, 2022
A former

A former gaming buddy of mine built a Blood Bowl field for travel. It´s laid in a wooden framework and hinges in the centre allow it to be folded. Maybe something like this could work for your Necromunda board. He also screwed handles along it for ease of transportation.
I've been thinking about that for a kill team board. Have two halves, constructed of MDF with a long piano hinge in the middle. You could make a feature of it, call it a dam for a hydro electric power station or something like that. Have one side sunk in, which can hold stacked terrain for transport, the other side higher up with a compartment under it for gaming bits.

If only we all had more time :)