Treasure Run

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway
Ive been spinning ideas around my head for an interesting scenario to play, and I saw in the bookshelf an old boardgame called (loosly translated from norwegian) "the missing diamond".

Basically its a game where the players travel around a map of Africa, searching for a diamond, and then have to bring it back to their staring square before another player finds the diamond (there is only two) and beats them. The board is covered with tokens, up side down, when a player reaches a token, he can flip it over to see what it reveals. It may be blank, a lesser gem wich earns him fast travel money or the diamond..or blank.

I think it would make a great scenario for necromunda, with some twists!

The scenario I had in mind goes like this:

Two gangs have heard rumors of a new dome just being discovered in uncharterd territory.
They make their way there, and enter the dome (battleground/board) at opposide sides through a small opening (pipe or similar).

The board is littered with tokens, each with a number under it.

A list, with the numbers on it, describe what the number represent.

the list can contain:

lesser hazards: "the player struck gold...or was it flesh!?"

roof falling, wall collapsing, rat skin boobytrap etc. on character. the character takes a D6 strengh hit.

fungus spore explode into characters face: character is blinded for the next turn, and fumbles.

the player stumbles upon a lesser creature with hostile intentions, roll D6: 1= spider, 2= zombie, 3= rat, 4 = snake, 5 = ripper jack, 6 = milisaur. The character enters hand to hand combat with the creature.

Profiles of the creatures should be made on cards for easy access. I picture the different monsters having a special attack each. poison with different effects, bleed effect etc.

lesser monsters reward Xp to the killer.

Major hazard: "the player hear a cracking sound and rumbling, and finds more than they bargained for..."

Major hazards should be very few, maybe even just one, the keep player on their toes.
A major monster is not something they should imiditaly get stuck in combat with, it should appear with a scatter dice and regular D6. The monster always go second, allowing the player to take action first.
on a "HIT" on the scatter dice the player can place the monster in a radius from the finder in inches, dictated by the D6. A major monster killed rewards Xp the the entire gang responsible for the kill.

Major monster: Zombie ogryn, giant rat, giant spider.

Blank token "all that sneaking and shooting and risking my neck..for nothing!"

Sometimes a blank token can be just as frustrating as a monster one! imagine going for that one token on top of a structure..to find it blank.

Treasure token "This is it boys, I found some!"
A treasure token rewards D6x10 tokens, if the player holds it at the end of the game. A treasure must be taken to the players entrance, and dropped there. If the player wishes them to be safe, he might want to leave some guards behind..which wont be able to help their mates far into the board!

Treasure hoard "I just hit the motherload boys!"

There is one treasure hoard on the board, worth 3+D6x10 credits. A player with the treasure hoard moves at half speed, other than that it follows the same rules as normal treasure tokens.

As the players turn tokens, cross them off the list. A game is ended when all treasures are recovered, or a player bottles. If a player bottles, all counters carried by that player not in their dropzone are lost. The rival player KEEPS treasures being carried by themselves. This is to represent that that gang is not in a hurry to get out.

Finaly, some ideas for tokens:

For the tokens with numbers under simply use blank 25mm bases. stick a number under it, or paint one under it. If you want it looking really good use nothing but sand on it if you paint it. if not, it will be too easy to tell them apart.

When the token is turned over, you should have a second token to take its place. it should of course be of what the token represents.

So, thoughts guys, have this been done before in some library document ive not seen yet :) ?

PS: From this picture it seems the goblin giant spider can be assembled without the howda...mohahaha!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ANfu ... 3%2529.JPG

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games
Re: Treasure Gauntlet

There was a very similar scenario in NCE, before Anthony removed it, called The Heist. It was based on and adjusted from a scenario of the same name from Battles in the Underhive book. It's in the Yakromunda Library and you can take a look.

The Heist

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway

yeah, quite similar, but not exactly the same at least. I think ill try mine out and see how it goes. if any of you wanna try it as well please tell me your experience with it :D

Viray

Juve
Apr 26, 2012

Will the tokens always be a preset deal? What I mean is this: will you randomize the tokens in play for every scenario or will you have a prearranged number (with similarly set values).

I would think the latter would be the easiest to deal with but has the drawback of having the least variety. After enough play-throughs, every game will become predictable after a few tokens have been turned over.

However, if you go with the former... well, it sounds like a nightmare trying to find a fair system to randomize token number and dispersal.

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway

I see your point...how about renaming it to Treasure Hunt.

The number of tokens are set to a fixed number, but each token is random?

Roll a D6 when you reach a token:

1 and 2: Monster, roll D6: 1 major monster 5-6 minor monster.
3: Trap/event, roll D&: 1,2,3 misfortune, take a D6 strengh hit. 4,5,6 fungus spore.
4: Blank token
5 and 6: Treasure, roll D6: 1-5 treasure, 6 treasure horde.

The list is skipped, instead the game ends when all tokens have been flipped or a gang bottles. As with previous rules, the botteling gang can only keep the treasures who are in their deployment zone (and safe getaway).

How do you guys feel about the changes?

It looses some key elements, and Id like to playtest both a few times before setteling on a good solution.

Malo

YakTribe Mechanicum
Staff member
Yak Founder
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA, USA
yaktribe.games

There's a big difference between a fungus spore blinding you for a round and taking a d6 strength hit, yet it's 50/50. It's not consistent with your monster 1/2-6 (I assume 5-6 is wrong) split. Change the split and/or possible d4 hit?

Sharkforce

Gang Hero
Jul 23, 2012
Headed for the Eye of Terror

i'd go with d3+1 for the strength of the hit instead of d4 if it was for general use. not all people playing necromunda will have a d4 on hand, but pretty much all will have a d3 (being as how it's just using a d6, dividing by 2, and rounding any fractions up).

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway

Yes, i agree with you sharkface. The strengh will be 1+d3. Also, you are correct malo, monsters are 1, 2-6 . I will edit them when im on a computer. My phone is acting up.

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway

Roll a D6 when you reach a token:

1 and 2: Monster, roll D6: 1 major monster 2-6 minor monster.
3: Trap/event, roll D&: 1,2,3 misfortune, take a 1+D3 strengh hit. 4,5,6 fungus spore.
4: Blank token
5 and 6: Treasure, roll D6: 1-5 treasure, 6 treasure horde.

The list is skipped, instead the game ends when all tokens have been flipped or a gang bottles. As with previous rules, the botteling gang can only keep the treasures who are in their deployment zone (and safe getaway).

EDIt COMPLETE

Viray

Juve
Apr 26, 2012
Well, it looks good to me. Once you set how the terrain, tokens, and gangs are set up, I'd think you'd be ready to test this baby.

A word of caution: the monster roll could be a potential problem point. Balancing out the difference between a major and minor monster is something you should consider. Likewise, the variety between monsters types should be taken into account. A single type of minor monster and a single type of major monster will remove any troublesome variability at the expense of a blander scenario. Conversely, multiple types per category could again be a balancing issue. Really though, unless you're a master statistician and uber-veteran Necromunda player, there's really no way to address this other than to bite the bullet or to play test a fair bit.

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway
yeah, next step is to balance monster profiles and attacks,and not make it too wide a spread but not too narrow either. also, need to fingure out a good number for tokens, should be enough for them to be available for both, but close enough for both sides to be physically able to catch up to a guy finding a treasure to engange them in combat.

also, need to think out how they are placed without giving the play placing them a huge advantage...maybe something like the opposite player placing half of the tokens on the other playes side of the table and vice versa.

for terrain, the same

Demoulius

Gang Champion
Dec 25, 2011
Rotterdam
This scenario looks brilliant and totally something I want to subject my gaming group to ;D

Ive been looking for some scenariors with random loot marker elements :)

Have you tried this scenario yet? We might otherwise but id have to get a zombie Ogryn model first ::)

Last edited by a moderator:

matswo

Gang Champion
Mar 7, 2012
Bergen, Norway
Demo! sorry ive been absent for such a long time, but between christmas rush, having a newborn and such, Ive just not found time for hobby related stuff lately.

Ive yet to play this myself unfortunatly, I would be very greatful if your gaming group did try this a few time and give me some feedback on what works and not. Balancing would be key for a fun time! Give me a shout if you ever try this! ill work more on it myself, after I get my gang painted and terrain up and running.